LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

In the Mood for RVing? I'm Wanting a Pop-Up

This time of year has many of us dreaming about some type of escape. Whether that involves sipping a pina colada on a tropical island, skiing at a favorite resort, or something as simple (okay, it isn't always simple) as a visit to Grandma's house, our minds are most likely vacationing somewhere during these seemingly endless days of winter.

I've never traveled by RV, never used a pop-up camper, but as recently as last summer, I did have the opportunity to spend several days and nights camping in the Rocky Mountains.

My first thought was how nice it would be to crawl inside one of the pop-up campers I saw attached to vehicles - somehow the RV world just isn't me.

The campers would offer immediate warmth, or air conditioning, depending on our needs, and quite frankly, we were freezing in our tent. It would save us time and energy spent setting up our tents, finding three 'legal' sites close enough together to actually enjoy the company of those with us isn't always simple, and it would enable us to travel and park at some other location during our travel time.

So the search is on. What better place to go than the RV show at Bartle Hall this coming weekend. Will I see you there?

What are you looking for. Are you looking for something specific or are you simply daydreaming?

I called one of the places about renting a pop-up - they are quite expensive! For those of you who use them, are they cost effective, or is it more about the freedom of being able to stay off the fast lane and travel without thoughts of motels, etc.?

Comments

schula 4 years, 9 months ago

Ronda -- I would love to be planning a trip to a warmer and sunnier place right now. Going on a cross country trip in an RV or pop-up camper sounds like fun. I am not one for sleeping on the ground in tent but an RV or pop-up might be the way go. Where do you want to go on your trip? I really want to see some mountains this summer -- it has been too long since I have been to Colorado.

schula 4 years, 9 months ago

Oh by the way everyone -- you can take the rest of the day off at beginning at 12:00 today. Hope you all have a good weekend and I look forward to reading everyone's comments.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 9 months ago

Hey, now if I had that pop-up I could have an early start to my weekend thanks to you, Schula!

I agree that the Rockies are always awesome, but I'll wait till summer to go visit. Your burial place is there and we don't want you to speed that trip along any!

My cousin just moved to Seattle and I've only been there once many years ago. I have never been to Yellow Stone National Park either. I'd love to take a couple of weeks next summer and do both. I could also have another midnight chat with Jimi! :)

I'd love to hit Santa Fe as well. I love New Mexico.

So many places, but lots of time to plan and save.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

We camped in the VW and we had a twin mattress in the back. Was it comfortable? We were young and in love. We could not have been happier if we had been in a 4 star hotel. We got off the Interstate and went down the back roads. We liked Santa Fe well enough but we drove into the desert. We would sit in the stillness and meditate watching the moon come up over the rim of the canyon and as we stayed quiet and still the desert creatures would feel confident enough to let us see them. It was an incredible experience.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like wonderful memories, but I'm not in my twenties anymore either. A mattress and inside a vechicle is still likely as comfortable and as warm, or warmer, than a tent, more protection from animals and our two legged friend or foe, and much cheaper than a campsite rental. Still, I doubt it'd be the best choice. Lots of people saw the states that way back when/then. Good ole days stories?

School bus anyone?

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

I've often dreamed of having enough money to have an 18 wheeler with windows cut in the sides and customized. That would be roomy and comfortable and a great way to see the scenery. Then too I would like to travel in a tour bus and stay in a different great hotel every night. How I feel about travel depends on how my back and knees are doing. The reality would be a customized school bus with a lift for a hover round which I will need one of these days.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 9 months ago

I love planes and limos and five star resorts. I love freedom to be active enjoying my vacation site sans cooking, cleaning, making and breaking camp.

Tour buses would wear me down. I get motion sickness some unless I'm driving.

RoeDapple 4 years, 9 months ago

Nothing like sleeping under the stars with nothing between you and the good earth but a sleeping bag... . and the rocks... . roots... . weeds...

occasional cow patty...

Sheila Hooper White 4 years, 9 months ago

We love to camp!! Right now we just have a tent but would love to have a pop-up someday. My parents started camping in a tent, then went on to a pop-up and now they have a large camper. I recommend any of them.

I think it really depends how much work you want to do. They have very basic pop-up and then ones that come with all the bells and whistles. They can be just like a home away from home.

We haven't been to the rv show in a few years, but I'm sure you will enjoy it. It's amazing what they can do with a little house on wheels.

For us it's just about getting away from everything...phone,computer,tv, etc. We love to just sit by the fire and stare up at the sky. We do all of our cooking on the campfire, which makes the food taste so much better. We even went to Fan Fair in Tennessee one year and stayed at a campground in tents. I was even pregnant when we did that.

Hope you have fun and get some good ideas. Now I'm ready to pack up our gear and head out to the lake.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 9 months ago

I hate planes and limos and five star resorts. I love freedom to be active enjoying my vacation site, while taking in scenery, making memories, and breaking routines.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

Now that I think about it the more I would like to go camping in a tent and make cowboy coffee over an open fire. Life can be good without a television, or computer. I would want a sleeping bag from L.L. Bean and I would put up a life sized card board cutout of Bert Gummer to scare intruders away. Where would I go? I have been to every National Park and they each have something to recommend them. Probably the Grand Canyon.

georgiahawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Ronda, keep your eyes open, used pop-ups can be bought pretty cheaply. Had a great time in a pop-up at the Winfield Bluegrass Festival! It rained as is normal and it was great to have somewhere warm and dry off of the ground. I was surprised at how much room there was.

Linda Hanney 4 years, 9 months ago

Rhonda, decide exactly what you want by looking at the RV show, etc. Then Google the name and model. There you go.

I thought that RV show was in February. Thanks for the heads up. We're looking again. One thing you can be sure of, no one is ever satisfied with their current RV choice.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 9 months ago

Roe, yep, nothing like the smells and the texture that the cuzins leave behind - oh, I forget, we ain't related to animals. R we? Or is that R V we? hehe

dancemom, it would be terrific to have five to ten couples (or singles) go in on a pop up together and then take turns using it, making it more affordable for all. Renting seemed exceptionally pricey. I am excited about going to the show on Sunday - Schula, are we on?

Irish, good choice in place to travel. I'm jealous that you've been to all of them - I need to stop flying around and take in the more scenic route. I do love campfire coffee - all food seems to taste better in the open air. We loved our steel cut oats! :)

Ret, at least you remembered to address me formally. Who says old dogs (and young pups) can't be 'learned' some manners. Glad you have a dictionary and that you can read. Surprises, surprises!

georgia, thanks for that advice. I will look around for a used one. I am not real picky as long as it has a refrig, stereo, and plumbing for showers, etc., I'll be good. (Just kidding - I want shelter from a storm and good sleeping arrangements).

Linda, seriously, no one is ever satisfied with their current RV item? Wow, because they're always wanting the newer and larger one? What do you use at present? I know you are a pro when it comes to traveling.

bud, but then I have to have that monster 4 wheel drive truck - I agree though that it would be stellar to get off the beaten path and camp somewhere as far from other people as I could get. Camp for the night, go hiking throughout the day and then come back for a long, deep, exhausted, filthy body sleep! Wow, I'm ready!

leedavid 4 years, 9 months ago

RoeDapple (Anonymous) says…

Nothing like sleeping under the stars with nothing between you and the good earth but a sleeping bag… . and the rocks… . roots… . weeds…

occasional cow patty ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That means somebody stole your tent....Barumpump!

Old joke. Speaking of old, that is me and last year we sprung for a motorcoach. The economy crashed and they are available for a song. We love that thing. Always packed and ready to go. We have a beautiful country and we hope to see all of it.

RoeDapple 4 years, 9 months ago

Shucks, I knew something was missing.....

Ronda Miller 4 years, 9 months ago

Bud, I've only watched Survival a couple of times. I prefer living the life and/or adventure over watching others. Your popup sounds ideal. I don't have a pickup at present either. What's the price range for those? Pop ups not pickups? :)

lee, glad you're enjoying your motor coach and wish you'd all supple some links so I have a clue of what you're talking about.

Roe, how long did it take you to notice your tent had been stolen?

RoeDapple 4 years, 9 months ago

Sadly, the first thing to go was the tent pole...

;-)

leedavid 4 years, 9 months ago

RoeDapple (Anonymous) says…

Sadly, the first thing to go was the tent pole…

;-)

This is true in a motorcoach as well. I'm over 50.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 9 months ago

That's what they all say. It might have looked strange if only the pole was left standing.

Hey, where's Marion? Isn't he an expert on camping?

RoeDapple 4 years, 9 months ago

Me thinks (Elvis) Marion has left the building...

Ronda Miller 4 years, 9 months ago

Did_I, Really, where was your mind? Contrary to mainstream bloggers, being compared to Irish isn't a negative. I admire her Freebird spirit for having the guts to be who she is. (did I really say that!).

Pyw, Great story! Nothing like being surrounded by the wilderness to make one act like an animal! Isn't it fun! I love intimacy in all that you named. T-storms, smell of earth,
electricity of storms rolling over. Makes me want to run through the jungle or do 'it' in the road. I hope you named her something appropriate like Stormy or Lunar, or such. Not such a bad thing to be conceived in passion.

I'm guessing best time to make an offer on a used one would be Fall when people aren't wanting to store; or not? There are a ton of them on the Internet, but I would want someone more knowledgeable than myself for inspection. Good tips about black mold, etc. Bud, on a scale of one to ten, how ugly are you? Not that it matters and I love the name. I need to check for a used one. Sounds like there are a lot out there. What's your gas mileage like. I know cost must vary considerably year to year with our rapidly changing gas prices. Sounds like the perfect suggestion for getting off the beaten path.

I love the idea of teens using it - fun memories.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

Did_I_say_that Just what blog would that be? The last one which is about the dog that was rescued from the river? Thanks, Ronda, the thing of it is, I just write what I think, and then I am totally astonished at the depth of some of the reactions. A friend of mine is going camping in Yosemite in about five months. It is one of his favorite places. He is very good with a camera and takes some excellent pictures. I had pictures of me as a child in New Mexico in 1955 and a few years after that. I was so cute in my little cowgirl outfit. Those were some of the pictures that were lost, and that still makes me want to cry. I have always been a cowgirl at heart.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 9 months ago

Maybe you can get your friend to send photos of his camping trip to you, Irish. You can blog his experences or assist him in blogging the trip.

I had a little cowgirl outfit and remember dressing like an Indian in a pretty beaded dress one year with my sis and mom for Halloween. Good memories. Sorry about the loss of your photos. You've got wonderful memories though!

Linda Hanney 4 years, 9 months ago

Ronda, you know how I like to ramble on about our roadtrips. So much fun.

We purchased a pop up camper one time for something like $250. It needed a new canvas top, which we bought online--can't remember the exact cost, but maybe around $600. In the end, we had a nearly new camper.

We aren't into high end RVs which are luxurous livingrooms on wheels. But, Budtugly's comment about a light weight pickup popup camper is close to what we're currently thinking about. We like our van conversion, but many backroads are off limits.

schula 4 years, 9 months ago

Ronda -- sorry that we didn't make it to the RV show. I am sure there will be other ones we can try to get to.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 9 months ago

Did_I, doesn't matter, no offense taken. And I can understand how a mind can go places! Mine has been known to. Seems as though most words have 'those' meanings.

Linda, sounds like you knew what you were doing and how to do it. You probably already have a home for your present set up, but if not, and should you find something else that suits you, please let me know.

Schula, yeah, wished I could have gone too, but I had a great time checking out all of Lawrence's book stores and with weather such as this, I'll enjoy having a new good read.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

Got just one more nickname for you Ronda. For me I mean. Arrrgg! My camping friend and I both love the Aubrey/Maturin books. I call him Stephen because he is like that character and he calls me Goldilocks because of my affinity for Captain Jack Aubrey who is a blond. Okay one more, Marion called me sheeple because I like President Obama so much.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 9 months ago

Marion lives on and walks among us in so many varied ways. Like both names. You certainly are a creative person and get around.

schula 4 years, 9 months ago

For those of us that missed the Kansas City RV Show, there will be one in Topeka. The Topeka Boat & Outdoor Show will be February 12 - 14. The hours are as follows: February 12: 3:00 - 8:00 February 13: 10:00 - 8:00 February 14: 11:00 - 4:00

RoeDapple 4 years, 9 months ago

Thanks schula!

(maybe I can get a new tent po......)

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

Ronda, I am so sorry, read this and then stopped and went back and re-read it. My comment is in the wrong blog! Did I put something in the nickname blog about the joys of camping? Yikes!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 9 months ago

Thanks, Schula! I hope to be around to catch that one! Lots of fun events calling us out in upcoming months. It will be interesting to see how large of a draw this will be.

Poor roe, he didn't get that new tent po.. hed asked for. Or is this a mrs roe request? Hopefully not another one of your crazy cuzin thangs.

Irish, I'll have to go check what you said. Don't worry though. Not a huge difference between a pop-up and a nickname.