LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

That Crazy Little Name You're Called

Just within the last couple of days, I've learned of some of my reader's nicknames. Whether we love them or hate them, we've all got them.

My personal experience with nicknames has been that they change over time. When I was quite young, and pretended to be a gunslinger, my nickname was Roni. My sister gave me the name and a bracelet bearing that engraved one year for my birthday. As I became an awkward tall and skinny teen, I became known as any one of a variety of names from Eyelashes and Twiggy, to Olive Oil. I can't say any of those made me feel particularly loved!

As a young adult, my brother began calling me Ramjet. Sometimes he switched it out to Roter Rooter Scooter. I am not about to disclose the reasons behind any of his choices.

Friends later referred to me as Rhoda and I can still determine the length of time I've known someone when I'm walking down the street and someone hollers, "Hey, Rhoda!"

These days I'm more often referred to as Frufru or Squeaky Pants - and just for clarity, the latter refers to my sending a multitude of text messages via my iPhone. Sure, someone will on occasion refer to me as Phatty, but for the most part, it's all in a loving spirit.

What nicknames have you been referred to as you and your acquaintances have changed over the years?

Was there any permanent damage done?

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years, 7 months ago

After making freight deliveries every Monday for 2 years to a store in KC, the manager asked me my name. When I told him, I then asked why. He said the guy who delivers here on Wednesday and Friday just calls you "That big dumb S.O.B." PBAH

Ronda Miller 5 years, 7 months ago

That does seem to suit you quite nicely! Hehe. May we just refer to you as Sob, or Crybaby, for short, but not for long? I suspect you've had some other ones over the years. Any present day 'sweetie' ones you can, or care to, share?

Amy Heeter 5 years, 7 months ago

I can't post what people call me, it's a TOS violation.

schula 5 years, 7 months ago

My parents,sisters, niece and nephews call me Rosie

I have a friend that calls me Lor

I had a boss once that called me Lori Lou (but only when he was in a good mood)

schula 5 years, 7 months ago

Oh yeah, when I was a little girl, my uncles called me Pori Pan. Every once in awhile they will still call me that

Vic 5 years, 7 months ago

^^^ That's the nickname.

My best friend has a thing about nicknames. We have friends named AK (he is from Alaska), Fodder, and Drago.

Mine comes from being average, normal (relatively of course) and rather expected, like Vanilla Ice Cream. Everyone likes vanilla ice cream. You know what you are going to get with vanilla ice cream. You know where you stand with vanilla ice cream.

I also have 4 nephews who my sisters got to call me Roddy because they can't pronounce my first name very well.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 7 months ago

Tange, care to share some of your nicknames? I know a couple of them, but they're a dead give away if I tell them, and I'm dead if I give them away. And, I stand corrected. I now know the proper spelling of my latest nickname.

I agree, Roe that none of mine left damage - okay, there is crazy woman blogger - but I'm sure there are horror stories among our readers and some of the names they were called by evil, older female classmates, eh, tangie?

Schula, I was trying to remember yours the other evening. Rosy fits you wonderfully.

I'm betting multi had multiple nicknames!

Artie, shome and Vic, thanks for sharing. I enjoy hearing stories behind the names and how well they suit you.

Now where are sunshine and freebird?

David Lignell 5 years, 7 months ago

Hi "Roni"...

I've only had 3 nicknames that I remember. (Probably a few more that I don't and shouldn't remember :-) Here they are:

1. Cagey. That was a term one of my high school buddy's mother gave me. Whenever she asked what we were up to before we went out, I replied with some nonsense about the library or gathering friends together for Bible study. She never believed me but couldn't get a straight answer, either. She'd end up saying something like, "Okay, Cagey, just be careful out there."

2. Liggy. Applied by friends because of my last name. My brother was tagged with the same nickname by his friends. I'm sure every Lignell will be tagged with the same unique nickname by friends at some point in his or her lifetime. Still, I like it.

3. Trouble. As in, "Here comes trouble." I haven't the faintest idea how that one originated, but I'm guessing it has to do with my particular brand of dark humor!

Good, blog Ramjet! It's been way too long since I replied to you. Just busy with time-consuming life-stuff lately.

Liggy out.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

You already know Freebird and Gidget. I was called Sunshine because I like to sunbathe and get a tan. Jeanne Beannie because Jeanne is my middle name and it rhymes I guess. Also, in grade school, fatty, fatty, two by four, couldn't get though the bathroom door. I was so skinny as a small child the doctor told my grandmother to put sugar on my vegetables so that I would gain weight. Well, I did and then some. Now, of course, that would be unthinkable. Then I lost the weight, hitching rides all over the country, and doing migrant farm work. Then gained it back. Am losing it.

K_Verses_The_World 5 years, 7 months ago

You may call me Terry, you may call me Timmy, You may call me Bobby, you may call me Zimmy, You may call me R.J., you may call me Ray, You may call me anything but no matter what you say You're gonna have to serve somebody

Bob Dylan - Gotta Serve Somebody

RoeDapple 5 years, 7 months ago

My eighth grade algebra teacher called me "christmas". Guess because I was a little slow getting done... with my assignments... in class.....

Lord what will Multi turn this into?......

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

"Ronada" I can't believe you missed that one, probably since its for your evil side Ronada just didn't get herself listed!

never had much in the way of nickname(s).

Ronda Miller 5 years, 7 months ago

Angry is as angry does. Some great nicknames coming out. And, yes, how could I have let Ronada slip past me? I love it! And some people do call you gnomie! :)

cagey, I like that one. I always thought you were called liggy because of your name and your long legs. In any case it suits you. Hope you are less busy with more time to write yourself. Remind us of Eddie in "Leave It To Beaver" do we?

Irish, you've had as many differing names as I have. Must have something to do with multiple personalities or interests.

O.J., how's prison life? Bet you have some other nicknames now. No, I don't want to know what they are.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

Well, there is the online "tang" ... or worse, "tangy" ... so dubbed by someone to whom we shall refer only as "batman," since he's always "robin" the nest. (It must be the blue eggs.)

When I was young, a sibling called be "tinker"--short, I believe, for "tinker bell," presumably due to my failure to conform to traditional male stereotypes. (Of course, it could just have been the trail of twinkling pixie dust I leave as I'm flitting about.)

Tom McCune 5 years, 7 months ago

"Earthquake McGoon." (Who was actually a character in Li'l Abner -- the world's dirtiest wrassler.)

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago

Ha! Newell's comment reminded me of another nickname from my past... "Itchy McRabbit."

Remember when we first met...?

( I was stupefied! )

RoeDapple 5 years, 7 months ago

Back in the late '60's when I was riding Triumphs, BSAs and Yamahas a couple of my buddys called me RoadRash. (RoeDrash?)

Christine Anderson 5 years, 7 months ago

Oh dear, this is a dilemma. Some things I've been called were funny; others were not. Guess I had a fiesty disposition as a little girl. My dad didn't get along with my grandma, whose name was Esther. She would let him have it verbally. When I got angry, he called me "Little Esther". If I ever become as strong a woman as my grandmother was, I'll be lucky.

I was called "Granny" in first grade because of the hideous horned-rim glasses I had. No one made children's frames back then. Also "midget", "shorty", etc. God, I hated those. I should go to my 30 yr. class reunion when it comes up. There is one jerk I really want to see. This guy called me the term for a feminine hygiene product beginning with "d". Can't spell it-I'm sure it would be deleted. Anyway, I want to kick his ass.

schula 5 years, 7 months ago

I just remembered another one... when I got my first car in high school, my mom called me Hotwheels. The car was a 1973 gold, hard-top Plymouth Scamp.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 7 months ago

Shula, maybe Scamp would be a good nickname as well.

Love the names and explainations some of you are sharing. I was discussing how nicknames often tell us as much about the person who gives us the name as it may about the person on the receiving end.

Misplaced if you go to the reunion, let big Esther out and then tell us how your interaction with that meanie from your past went!

Little Buddy and Yoda are quite endearing, well unless you actually ever look like Yoda - I guess most of us will if we live long enough.

Tange, you left fairy dust behind last night, unless you were molting again.
Earthquake huh, that reminded me of the fact that I've nicknamed a cousin who lives in Florida Stormy. She always has the knack of flying out as a hurricane comes in. Crash, did you get fired because of your driving skills - or lack there of?

Ronda Miller 5 years, 7 months ago

blue, great story! Maybe it was a runaway teen who just kept running! ;() In any case, I'm sure a lot of things like that are noticed after the fact. I was in a rush just the other night and had just paid a clerk twenty dollars to put gas in my tank. At the time I handed over the twenty, I received a call about someone in the hospital and a doctor talking to me. I forgot about the gas and drove directly to the hospital. A couple of hours later, I was getting in the car and it snapped that I had not got my gas. I went back to the place and without having to say a word, the clerk waved to me and I got my gas. I was relieved and thrilled at how nice he was about it.

One would have thought the person would have called or come in about that scratch though - they cost quite a lot to repair on anything these days.

multi, if not a mom, a dad with a deadline. They have them too.

Liberty275 5 years, 7 months ago

People I work with and my wife have several pet names for me, but I can't tell you what they are because I'd be banned for using that kind of language in the forum.

I always get a good laugh out of making them say the words though.

Liberty275 5 years, 7 months ago

Addendum: I did hound my wife one day to the point she called me a "poobah". That astonished me because it was slightly beyond her literary knowledge and also fairly accurate.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 7 months ago

I can only imagine the names she'll call you if she reads what you just wrote about her literary knowledge. Dead poobah? :) It's the accuracy part that is really scary, however!

twinetowngirl 5 years, 7 months ago

My dad used to call me Rune prune when I was little. When all us kids would go to the pasture to cut thistles he would always ask "are you ready children of the jury" (not sure where that came from lol) and then he always sang, Wolverton Mountain on the way.

In high school, I was known as fireball...for my awesome ACE serves on the volleyball court. A few called me "juggs"

Now my husband calls me "sugar britches" I will leave that to your imagination!

AnnaUndercover 5 years, 7 months ago

Oh, Jesus. It is my greatest hope that my nicknames will continue to fade.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 7 months ago

Twine, you win the award for most uncommon nickname, well, there is Anna's who we'll allow her to forget.

I'm not familiar with the song, I can appreciate why you were called Juggs! I knew a gal who had the nickname buttons for a much smaller reason. :)

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

I've been called Red, and am now called Blondie. Remember the song, five feet two and eyes of blue, but oh, what those five feet could do. However, I am now 4 feet 11, but still eyes of blue. Reminds me, I have been called Shorty. Also, Cowgirl and Wild Little Indian.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 7 months ago

Wow, Irish! You have had more nicknames than I could shake a stick at! Is that expression still used? And understood? People called me Shorty, but not for long.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 7 months ago

I have always used the expression hold the fort and now my daughter and granddaughter do also. Have you heard, "in two shakes of a lambs tail" to mean in a moment? Well, now a shake is a unit of time in quantum physics. It is a billionth of a second. Remember when gay meant happy, queer was something that was mutant scary and a fag was a cigarette?

jumpstart79 5 years, 7 months ago

Oh Jeez...I've had many nicknames! Crash, hot shot(mom loved that one!), My siblings call me shortbus and my dad calls me Almac... There's way to many to list. I think my family likes to make up new ones so when they are talking to someone, the other person has to constantly ask who they are talking about! :)

Ronda Miller 5 years, 7 months ago

Love those expressions, Irish and I am familiar with all of them. We use some that I always like to think are western Kansas ones, but who knows. Ye Gads, and skivies (not sure the spelling is correct - another word for undies!)

jump, so don't leave us on the shortbus with a Crash in sight on the Almac. Please do share what they meant.

Chrissy Neibarger 5 years, 7 months ago

I have gone by my nickname from day one.. I was born a christine, but have always been known as chrissy. Of course, in high school i had the cheesy names given by friends.. 1) chrissy mouse, cuz apparently my smile looked like mickey mouse. 2) chaz 3) shortstuff (not explanation needed) but most recently, i am called tweety around the house by my husband. I like that one :)

Ronda Miller 5 years, 7 months ago

I like tweety as well, especially if it's slang for something endearing such as sweety or tweety bird. And what do you call him?

I slipped up once and referred to my then husband as poo poo at a staff meeting. Poor guy. Every other woman who overheard that one made sure they called him that at least once. And he was the boss!

jumpstart79 5 years, 7 months ago

I had a poor chevy for my first car. I say poor because I wrecked it, quite a few times....Almac is basically my initials..and Shortbus...well, my sisters "say " it's becasue when I walked in to a room they said hey shortbus and it stuck...but I think they are making up stories to make me feel better! :)

Ronda Miller 5 years, 7 months ago

I remember a few fun times with my first car too! I would certainly advise parents to make sure the first car for their teen/young adult isn't a very pricey one. Those initial driving skills come the hard way, often.

I'd try to guess your name from those initials, but I wouldn't want to get in trouble for outing you - or not! ;) You could be called a long worse than Shortbus. I haven't heard that one, but like it.