LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

Buried Alive: A Conversation With Jimi Hendrix

It isn't often you get the chance to rest beside one of your all time favorite heroes! I recently received photos taken by my cousin, Kent, who has moved to Seattle, Washington, of a burial site for sale within walking distance to Jimi Hendrix.

Now Kent is one of those guys who loves to check out the landscape when he goes to a new area - and particularly if that landscape includes a cemetery and someone he idolized is 'at home' there. So, when Kent sent me pictures he'd taken at Greenwood Memorial Park, I wasn't all that surprised. After all, when I went to visit him in Indianapolis, just a little over a year ago, our first stop was a cemetery high on a hill with a panoramic view of the city below.

"Jimi, do you have any clue how much I paid to be buried next to you? Jimi? Jimi?"

Those first few minutes of being buried alive where exhilarating. I couldn't help but wonder how much Jimi's music had changed over the years. He died in 1970, so I figure he is still pure rock and roll and psychedelics - he missed out on all that tom foolery that came later. No castrated Bee Gees singing Disco tunes in Jimi's electrified music!

"Jimi, are you awake? Hey, did I ever tell you about the time I saw Harrison in concert? Yeah, it was really great. Ringo was even there and so was Ravi Shankar! So, Jimi, are you working on any particular song right now? Maybe I can assist with a lyric or two. I don't have a background in music, but I do have a lyrical mind, if I do say so myself."

Damn, maybe Jimi was up late last night. I hope I'm not annoying him!

The thrill of being buried alive next to Jimi is beginning to wane. I wish I could see through this casket, the earth and tree roots, to see how he is aging. Maybe that's it! He's self-conscious!

"Jimi, I don't care that you've lost a lot of weight, that your teeth aren't brushed - do you still have teeth, Jimi? - and that your hair hasn't been combed. Those things weren't 'all' that attracted me to you back in the day. I loved you for your spirit, your music, your electric guitar was secondary to my love of your lyrics. Jimi? Jimi?"

Oh, great! So I paid all that money to be buried next to a guy who insists on giving me the cold shoulder. I want my money back!

How much would you pay to be buried to one of your heroes?

For additional information about this site, please contact :

Jim (not Jimi)
Greenwood Memorial Park, 350 Monroe Ave., Northeast, Renton, Washington.
You may call: 415-255-1511

Comments

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

I have visited a few burial sites over the years, have you? I often think it is strange that people who drive right by their own 'kin' burial sites stop to pay homage to some stranger's site!

I was disappointed upon learning 'after' I had been on vacation to Santa Fe, New Mexico, to learn that one of my favorite authors - D.H. Lawrence - was buried there.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

When I was growing up we went to the southwest in the summers and of course stopped at Santa Fe and Taos. We bought jewelry at the Governors something. Is that still there? I read a story that his widow was carrying the urn that contained his ashes and left it sitting on a bench at the Santa Fe depot. Whoops! The ashes were later mixed into the cement of the memorial altar. The cemetery is the Koiwa Ranch. The link is to a picture of the memorial if you want to see it. I would want to be buried next to Sacajawea.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for that link, Irish. Interesting about the ashes and cement.

One of the worse experiences I've had with ashes were of my cat, Tasmanian Devil. When he died, I took his ashes to the animal shelter and asked that he be cremated so I could then scatter his ashes in his favorite spot in our backyard.

I was horrified when I went to pick them up and they had callously put them in a container marked poison! I know they burn a lot of kitties, but he was my little baby!

So where's your link to Sacajawea?

I wouldn't mind my ashes being blended with George Harrison's...or John Lennon's.....or, or, or...Poe would be cool.....

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

Not much for cemeteries, just pour my ashes in a can, drink a cold beer in my name, then toss the can in the Kaw as you drive over the bridge. Creeps me out that archeologists think they have the right to move peoples remains after they have been put to rest hundreds or thousands of years ago...

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Put your ashes in the same can of brew we're drinking? Have them ashes been purified or petrified for cuzin consumption? I agree that it seems ungodly to move remains around. Leave them bones alone!

Cool that you've seen the old site. I agree that Jimi's music will never be old or dated.

georgiahawk 4 years, 10 months ago

I just visited, for the second time, the graves of Duane Allman and Barry Oakley of the Allman Brothers. If you are ever in the area of Macon, GA, this is a must! One of the most beautiful cemetaries going back to the late 1700's. Rolling hills, half buried cripts, it is easy to see why the Allman Brothers hung out there getting high!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Interesting, Georgia! Thanks for sharing. I'll see if I can find a link. I love Georgia. It is a beautiful state indeed - well, maybe not all states of being in Georgia.

Not what I was looking for, but I would certainly enjoy their, "Big House!"

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

if i'm not mistaken, bruce lee is buried in the same cemetary.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

So where's your link to Sacajawea? Right here, sorry for the omission. Thanks for sharing the story about your cat. That was awful. When it my cat's time to go, I will have a urn ready. I told my daughter (joke, of course,) that I want to have my body cremated and mixed with weed. That way I will always be remembered with love. :-)

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Ashes plus weed equal love how? :)

Interesting story. Thanks for the link. It had been years since I'd read about her. May I refer to you as Bird Woman for short, but not for long?

I have to wonder how much the white otter coat would be worth today!

ThirdStone 4 years, 10 months ago

On a trip to Seattle in around 1983 I dragged two of my friends to the cemetery in Redmond where Jimi Hendrix is buried. I was a little surprised by the unassuming flat marker with a picture of a guitar on it. But all around the marker were notes, single flowers, pieces of candy; in short whatever the legion of fans who'd visited felt should be left.

I have a photograph of the stone and I treasure it, just as I treasure the records, CDs, ticket stub etc.. Jimi said to just keep playing the music after he was gone, and we have. :-)

riverdrifter 4 years, 10 months ago

If you want weird, I don't think anybody can match Gram Parsons' end-of-the-road story. A Byrd and then Flying Burrito Brothers, he died in 1973 of a drug overdose. Friends later stole his casket from the LA airport, took it into the desert near Joshua Tree where he had wanted to have his ashes scattered, dumped a 5 gallon can of gas in the casket and lit it off. It goes on from there. I've got all the Hendrix vinyl and listen to it regularly. Only one who was better was SRV. I suppose both of them made the deal at the crossroads. They were that good.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 10 months ago

Just because someone erects a marker, it doesn't mean Jimi's there. I have it on good authority that this was the actual ceremony, performed in Jimi's native language...

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

wadda suppose that folgers can would bring today?

BigPrune 4 years, 10 months ago

I want to be cremated and after the ceremony I would like to have a big spaghetti dinner for all my enemies. I won't say where I want my ashes or if I'd like to have them mixed in with anything.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

Ronda, people sit around and smoke weed and feel happy. Of course I would be supplying all the weed along with my ashes. Trying to make a joke. I would be flattered to be called Bird Woman. Someone used to call me Free Bird.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

Roe, that is why Starbucks has a really low overhead. :-)

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Free Bird, it is amazing what we learn about our on line friends. Who would have guessed that about you. There are others on here I would have thought suspect, but I refuse to mention river drifter or third stones's names. :)

There are those who bombard their enemies with spaghetti and others who mix with caffeine of choice. Yes, it takes all kinds.

Thanks for the links all.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Autie juices mixed in with tomatos. Now that sounds right nasty even for cuzins! It might work to keep them worms offa them plants tho!

I've read recent reports about limited burial space in England, etc. I don't want to be confined to an urn. Blowing in the wind over the mountains, oceans, or a favorite, serene spot sounds just fine to me. Blowin in the Wind

schula 4 years, 10 months ago

Ronda -- I am with you. I want to be cremated and have my ashes dumped in the mountains to blow around in the wind.

riverdrifter 4 years, 10 months ago

"There are others on here I would have thought suspect, but I refuse to mention river drifter or third stones's names. :)"

I resemble that remark!

BTW, I lived 3 years at the D. H. Lawrence ranch near San Cristobal, NM. Now there is a great place to spend eternity.

georgiahawk 4 years, 10 months ago

I think I would lke to have my ashes mixed in with a huge mortar fire cracker, have a big party and then at the appropriate time shoot my ashes into the air and blown up.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 10 months ago

Cremation. Only way to go. It is my ultimate aspiration to make an ash of myself.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Tange, you've succeeded: save the energy and the matches. I believe you've made an ash out of me too and I love to hate you for it.

Autie, something about eating a tomato grown from your ashes used to fertilize them makes me tad sicky. Sorry, cuz. May as well just make a virgin bloody Mary from them, then suck it down. That's what them other vampire cuzins be duin.

River, Let's hear more about the D. H. Lawrence ranch and what you did there. I am absolutely so jealous! I rode some horses while in the area and was caught in a delightful downpour - short and refreshing. I'll have to see what info the net offers on the ranch. I just checked lawrence's site out yesterday. Look wise he reminds me of Poe.

Schula, I know you love the Rockies - mountain of choice?

Georgia, want that done on a specific date? Bday, new year's, anniversary? Sounds colorful and quite a blast into where ever!

schula 4 years, 10 months ago

Ronda -- somewhere in the San Juan Mountains, near Lake City, CO. It is where my dad grew up and is just beautiful. Probably near Silver Creek.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Sounds like a great plan, Shula! Who is the chosen bearer of thine ashes? Or will there be a drop kick by a flying postal worker? :)

Imagine someone taking a hot air balloon up and over and scattering them about. Or having them thrown at a bride and groom instead of rice. So many uses for these ashes!

schula 4 years, 10 months ago

I will most likely ask my niece and nephews to do it.

I have some pictures of the area and I will show them to you sometime. You will want to go there.

riverdrifter 4 years, 10 months ago

Ronda, it was long ago and I've got some great tales of the Lawrence ranch to tell, but ain't gonna do it here. If I could only write, man it would make a great book. Anyway, the ranch has always been chronically under-funded to the point of absurdity by UNM, the owner. However, here's a link to folks who want to help it out and good on them for it. http://www.friendsofdhlawrence.org/ranch_photos.html

"Here's to ol' DH..."

Name the movie.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

schula, I'll look forward to seeing your 'spot'!

river, it seems to me you write just fine. Maybe you should enter the nano contest next year so you can write a book the month of November. In your case, it wouldn't be fiction, but it might give you the incentive to get er done. The line you quote didn't ring a memory for me - I'll keep thinking on it, but I hope within a certain length of time if no one guesses (or their research skills are better than mine) you'll come tell us. I'll check out the link you supplied!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Very interesting. I love the fact that a high school student won a trip to England for her writing abilities through this group. Now that is incentive! I will become a member - thanks for this information. I can see why the 'great' people were inspired to write and paint - lovely!

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

riverdrifter Jack Nicholson says it in Easy Rider. I always cry at the end. It seems so senseless the way they died.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh, sorry tange, ER is Easy Rider? Figured that out after I posted.

riverdrifter 4 years, 10 months ago

Correctimundo. They stayed at the ranch for a few days while filming it. While there, Dennis Hopper painted a phoenix on a a copper sheet and wired it to the Lawrence Tree which Georgia O'Keefe had painted long before. It stayed there for years and may still be hanging there, I guess. The tree is right by the Lawrence cabin. O'Keefe painted the tree by lying on the bench and looking up at the stars. http://www.mystudios.com/women/klmno/okeefe-tree.html

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the link, Riverdrifter, great painting. When I look at it I think of Men in Black and one of those creatures. Which made me that when we look at a painting we do so from the totality of our cultural experience. As Jimi Hendrix reinterpreted the Star Spangled Banner. And, yes I was there, little miss Free Bird!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Little Miss Free Bird and Riverdrifter get around much more than Ronda Miller apparently! And to some very cool places and events.

I love O"Keefe's works. That one in particular is quite haunting. See, river, you already shared another interesting story with us. Just write down one of those memories a day (elaborated a bit) and by the end of 2010 you have your book! That wasn't so difficult was it?

Thanks for the links, both of you! It makes life simpler for me.

And tange wins the 'good Friday ash of the day award' for being such an ash and knowing the answer! Cool movie; I need to revisit it.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 10 months ago

Jimi said, "I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to."

(dead at 27)

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

Ronda, my ex and I had a VW van with the flowers on the sides, fringed curtains on the windows. I had long hair parted in the middle and actually looked good in hiphugger bell bottoms, and they were wide and dragged on the ground. He had a huge afro and flared pants with a shirt open half way down the front. My oh my we made it to about fifteen states in that before it gave up the ghost and it was pretty used when we got it. Those were the days. We both loved Jimi.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 10 months ago

Jimi said... "... I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time, I'll give it right back to you one of these days I said I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time I'll give it right back one of these days And if I don't see you no more in this world I'll meet you on the next one But don't be late, Don't be late...."

7texdude 4 years, 10 months ago

Remember: when you spread the ashes in the wind don't forget to check how the wind blows. It might end up in some dude's face. And, please, don't mention the Vietnam War. It has nothing to do with it.

After, I recommend bowling a few frames. It is not only a tribute, it is fun.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

I agree, Irish, we want pictures! I also had hair all the way down my back. I didn't look great in hip hugger bell bottoms - I'm too long waisted and was very skinny Fun times though!

7tex, it is certainly wise to always notice which way the wind blows - hate to end up in someone's eyes, mouth, hair! Nasty!

Thanks for the lyrics, tange!

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

Sorry Ronda, we had a house fire and lost all the pictures. Of all the things we lost that was the worst. They also called me Gidget. Know why?

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

I want to know, I am curious, I fear knowing, I now know you will tell me. Will I regret it? ;)

Sorry, about the loss of the pictures in your fire. I've heard that of all things people lose that hurt or affect them the most, it is those personal items such as pictures.

On you on facebook? Maybe you can put out a request that people send you any photos from over the years that they might have - you'd be surprised!

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

Ronda, there was a movie called Gidget starring Sally Fields. She was five feet two so girl midget or gidget. I was also that height, but am now four feet eleven. My daughter calls me her cute little mommy. Thanks for the idea. I'll try it.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

I remember the show. I love Sally Fields myself and enjoy watching her I "Brothers and Sisters" these days. I have always thought she was an incredible actress and very believeable.

Good luck on Facebook and remember to share whatever comes in!