LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

Big Man Small World

The Olde Hip-Eye left this world and took a trip to whereabouts unknown New Year's Eve day. The passing of this giant man, with an equally huge heart, has left many of his friends and family reeling with memories from over the years. Everything Matt did seemed bigger than life. His laugh, and distinctive bellowing voice, could be heard across many a concert—and living room—floor throughout the years. If ever Matt met someone he didn’t like, it would be hard to imagine.

I was twenty when I met Matthew and even though I lost contact with him for many years when I became a police officer, and then was mostly housebound while raising my children, I had the good fortune of crossing paths again with him these past couple of years. He also helped me to reconnect with other close friends by giving them grief about having lost contact with me.

Matt always shared what was on his mind - not necessarily with tact, but you always came away from him knowing he still loved you, because he would say so freely.

What better tribute for Matt, whom we lovingly referred to as Jethro from the Beverly Hillbillies (due to his bull-in-a-China-shop gait), than to play some music in his honor.

Please think of an event or memory you’ve shared with Matt, and pick a song that suits your memory of him.

SPECIAL EVENT NOTICE! - Please join us for the Matthew Moore Celebration Of Life Service, January 10th at Liberty Hall in Lawrence, Kansas. Help us remember and celebrate the good times we shared with Matt with plenty of the music that Matt loved.

When: Sunday, January 10th from 2:00 - 6:00 PM

Where: Liberty Hall, 644 Massachusetts Street

Comments

Ronda Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

The Olde Hip-Eye isn't gone - he's just, "One Toke Over the Line".

Ronda Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

Thanks, Roe! Did you happen to have had the pleasure of knowing Matt?

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

Not personally, but heard him perform once.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 6 months ago

As I recall, every time he spoke in public, it was a performance.

,;-)

Ronda Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

Yes, and everyone could easily hear him! What a voice! What a gifted performer! What an incredibly huge, kind heart he had! He's touched many, many lives in positive ways. He'll be greatly missed by many people.

schula 4 years, 6 months ago

He sounds like a wonderful man. I am sorry I never met him or heard him perform.

puddleglum 4 years, 6 months ago

who is matt? are there any photos?

Ronda Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

He became known as the Olde Hip-Eye long before he was old because of a fun radio show he used to present. We should see if we can find a segment of one to share to our readers.

headdoctor 4 years, 6 months ago

justbegintowrite (Ronda Miller) says… If you click on the link that Roe submitted, you will see Matt in the right hand corner belting out a song while on his knees! That was Matt a few years back, but he still had long hair and a beard to date!

Yeah, that was Mathew more than just a few years back even before his stint in New Orleans. If you want a more current picture as well as a nice one of Mathew that was a few years back in fine dress check out the site of the preservation of Lawrence wild life.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

headdoctor, thanks for that information - I went on to that site immediately upon learning about Matt and found some wonderful pictures of Matt from over the years.

I loved the ones in white tux and top hat - white gloves even. Matt could certainly be a dapper fellow when he chose to be. Lots and lots of charm!

chiknbut 4 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for the personal touch, Ronda. Especially considering how lame the obit style is at the JW. I didn't know Matt well, though I did have dinner with him a few times over the last 25 years. I would say that Matt was as much a part of the Lawrence "alternative" scene as anyone in the past 40 years. And he was certainly loved. Bless him.

jemerson 4 years, 6 months ago

Matt and I played pool at the Hillcrest Bowl after Jr. High School..he was so much fun! We were all so innocent and eager to learn and explore Lawrence..of course, Lawrence held many surprises for both Matt and I and are paths did not travel in the same direction as we continuted to grow. Matt had a loving family and I remember that feeling as I entered their home one day while we were still in our early teens. Now, Lawrence as well has lost a son and after my good friend Ronda told the news to me I immediately had to leave my home and go for a drive downtown..there seemed to be a hole in the sky above but I could still hear Matthew's booming voice and knew that that was a good sign. He will be missed so much, and even more for those that stood by his side, his Lawrence family.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

chik, yes, Matt would laugh out loud to hear himself described as alternative! I have felt some special touches these past few days that I am sure stem from Matt playing a few behind the scenes pranks. He had the most outrageous sense of humor. If only I could share some of the stories and experiences we shared together, but I am sure there are many in Lawrence who could write a book about him.

jemerson - thinking of Matt as innocent makes me laugh! You're still an innocent though and always will be. I'm glad we all had a chance to have shared times with Matt and with each other. Hearing your voice the day I heard the news was a comfort as well. Matt is busy bringing people, who had separated by life's demand, together again - he was just that kind of man.

DisLoyal_Opposition 4 years, 6 months ago

The news of Matt's passing hit me hard. I feel blessed to have known him for the time I did and wish only that I had known him longer. He showed me a humor and an open personality that is far too rare anymore.

Knowing I might run into Matt downtown had become a highlight of my Wednesdays.

Earlier there was a request for songs, I know it wasn't exactly Matt's style, but I sought out the song "Life is Beautiful" by Sixx A.M. upon hearing the news.

My fiance' also selected "Old and Wise" by Alan Parsons Project.

Godspeed Old Hip Eye. Second Star to the right, and straight on 'til morning.

riverdrifter 4 years, 6 months ago

Matt's passing is a crushing blow to me. I first met him while working at the Stokely Van Camp beanery in 1970. We maintained contact off and on all through the years. He'd spot me a block away and bellow out my name in that wonderful voice. Man, traffic would just stop! I sure will miss him and I'll be there Sunday.

"He's a rolling stone, and it's bred in the bone; He's a man who won't fit in. "

Ronda Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

Here is "Life is Beautiful"

and

"Old and Wise"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxaIFP... (that one made me cry)

I'd say that I'm sorry for the loss each of you is feeling, but I'm so darn happy about all that we gained. The term old and wise fits Matt to a tea - he was an old soul and for all the warmth, and incredible sense of humor he had, he also was a very wise person in simplistic, yet profound ways.

"The Men Who Don't Fit In*

Robert W. Service

There's a race of men that don't fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will. They range the field and they rove the flood, And they climb the mountain's crest; Theirs is the curse of the gypsy blood, And they don't know how to rest.

If they just went straight they might go far; They are strong and brave and true; But they're always tired of the things that are, And they want the strange and new. They say: "Could I find my proper groove, What a deep mark I would make!" So they chop and change, and each fresh move Is only a fresh mistake.

And each forgets, as he strips and runs With a brilliant, fitful pace, It's the steady, quiet, plodding ones Who win in the lifelong race. And each forgets that his youth has fled, Forgets that his prime is past, Till he stands one day, with a hope that's dead, In the glare of the truth at last.

He has failed, he has failed; he has missed his chance; He has just done things by half. Life's been a jolly good joke on him, And now is the time to laugh. Ha, ha! He is one of the Legion Lost; He was never meant to win; He's a rolling stone, and it's bred in the bone; He's a man who won't fit in.

ilovelucy 4 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for a great tribute for a truly unique individual.

Kirk Larson 4 years, 6 months ago

I remember Red Hammer! I spent a fair amount of time around Matt back in the late 80's, early 90's. I particularly remember eating cookies at his Dirty-Too and Dirty-Tree! Anyone else there? I was in a band that played at the Dirty-tree I think it was. Hard to remember.

Gone too soon, get the show goin' for when we get there, Hip-Eye!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

Mach, wonderful memories you shared with Matt, that you have now shared with the rest of us. He was a guide in many respects throughout his life; he quite possibly still is. Beautifully written thoughts - keep them safe and warm to return to over time.

Red Hammer - I had forgotten he was called that until you mentioned it!

georgiahawk 4 years, 6 months ago

I was saddened to hear of Matt's passing. We will all miss him. For all that knew him, his passing is the passing of an era in Lawrence's history! He was the first person I met when I first moved to Lawrence, I gave him a ride when he was thumbing a ride on campus and he introduced himself as the Olde Hip-Eye. Smoke filled rooms at parties was where I saw him most after that. Here is one big one for you!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

georgia, Matt touched so many lives - deep imprints of who we became. I think it is interesting that there are only good memories being shared. It is truly a statement about who Matt was and the way he carried himself throughout his life. Peace. ;)

ossian 4 years, 6 months ago

Matt & I grew up together at Centenial grade school. Matt's house was always a great place to visit and have fun. He lived just over on the next block off of 25th Street. We help him built a tree house with his Dad. His Mom was our Cub Scout leader. His sis and brother were just grand. When we were in 5th and 6th grade we walked all over town. Matt and I sang a lot of Beatles and Rolling Stones songs together and started our musical background. He was a super dude to have as a friend. I will miss him forever.....

Ronda Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

ossian, thanks for sharing those insightful childhood memories. I don't know his mother and father, have only met his sister a couple of times many years ago, see his brother at the store on the corner often ( it is always great to see him). Obviously Matt was raised by some incredible parents. I hope they are as proud as any parents can possibly be. Their son(s) (and I'm sure daughter) have changed our world for the better many times over.

Ralph Reed 4 years, 6 months ago

I cried when I read the comments. I went to school with Matt, then we went our separate ways after LHS. I came back briefly, ran into him and got a hearty welcome. He really made me feel back at home. Many years later after finishing one career, I returned home and ran into Matt. Again a hearty welcome and a good laugh. I was home again. I've seen him off and on, usually downtown, since then. I knew you were always there Matt, part of my life I could anchor to. I'll miss you.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

He's still there - can't you just picture him and hear his voice!

Wild Turkey!!!!!! He was really into that when I first met him.

Olde Hip-Eyes never die - they just move on to the next party.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

Terrific tribute for a terrific gentleman today! He would have been proud; he would have had a lot of fun and laughs.

You know you have left quite a legacy when you can fill Liberty Hall with those whom you loved and who loved you.

RIP, Matt, We love you!