LJWorld.com weblogs At Random

Smoking Your Way Free From Addiction the 'E'asy Way!

They're the best thing since sliced bread, the invention of the wheel, the combination of the horse and carriage.

I'm talking about the new E cigarettes. You don't have to find a match or a lighter, no need to worry about burning your house down, no tell tale smells of tobacco on your fingers and clothes, no ugly stains or stinking ashtrays. Disgusting smoker's breath first thing in the morning? Nada!

I had an opportunity to try a couple of the differing flavor choices over the weekend and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at how nice they were. Too name a few flavors: cherry, mint and chocolate. I'm a cherry fan from way back and I probably preferred it over the chocolate. Something I didn't enjoy as a previous smoker, I've been clean for 18 years now, was menthol cigarettes, but I actually enjoyed the E- butt menthol version because I could feel it all the way into my lungs. That alive sensation that had always given me so much satisfaction.

Will I take up smoking again? Maybe, on occasion. They're sleek and elegant (you can choose blue or red tipped flames). Another great feature is you control the amount of nicotine - or opt to smoke with none.

I'm hoping the smoking masses (I know you're out there - I see you smoking like fiends in your cars) will make the switch. I'm also hoping they'll figure out a way to give medications (think asthma, THC, or vitamins) through them. Just leave out the calories, please - I seem to find plenty of those.

Imagine once again being able to smoke during your stay in a hospital, after sex, during a long flight, in bed late at night, at your office, after dinner or in a bar, sitting beside someone who can't stand the smell. No second hand smoke - no lung or oral cancers. Vaporize your worries away!

Have you tried the new smokeless E- cigarette? Are you planning to use it to stop smoking or as a healthier substitute for your present addiction?

Money no longer spent going up in smoke. Go green. Get down with vapor.

(Disclaimer: this blog in no way suggests smoking is a healthy choice - it is dangerous, it can kill you and others)

Comments

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

This is a tie-in to the ads we keep seeing on LJW?

twinetowngirl 4 years, 8 months ago

Where did you sample these and how can I get one?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

Don't forget the monthly special at Snap's College of Cheese Making and Taxidermy. Half off weasels and gouda in April! The number to call is BR-549.

somedude20 4 years, 8 months ago

Happy 420 day kids! Take a moment and smoke an e-joint today

gccs14r 4 years, 8 months ago

There is still going to be nicotine expelled from the lungs. Not everything will be absorbed. And why, after eighteen years, would you want to become addicted again? Even if it's "safe", it's still a drug.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Gccs, if I smoke them in the future, I would opt for the non nicotine version. I really don't want nicotine in my system as I can't even tolerate caffeine. I would imagine it alone can trigger health problems and heart stimulation, etc.

I truly am not condoning then and my blog has no association with any ads you're seeing online with the LJW or elsewhere. The info included here is from my personal experimentation only.

Twine, you can find them at several locations. Probably beware of free starter kits as I've heard they're more expensive in the long run. I suspect they'll become less expensive as more are being manufactured. Try online and I'm sure people who have purchased them can come on and give more insight.

In answer to the nicotine expelled or absorbed by the lungs - it's my understanding that it vaporizes and isn't a concern for others. I'm sure studies will be coming out with additional info. Still, with none of the other couple of hundred toxic ingredients, it truly is a life saver. Factor in all the lives saved from accidental fires, matches and lighters left abd then found by children.

trinity 4 years, 8 months ago

autie you read my mind...kinda like near beer-why? i'm a fairly recent quitter and just really don't care to have anything to do with the ciggies, be they real or e. yuk.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Goodness, cuzin autie, I only tried them. I took a couple of hits of the cherry and chocolate and later the methol. I haven't had one since. I am not feeling a desire to buy them, I promise. I know a few people in my life I love dearly who are smokers and they seem hesitant to try them. Having been a smoker in my dubious past, I figured I'd be qualified to test them and honestly be able to share the results. It's to help them get off one evil and to something much less harmful - perhaps stop altogether. I sacrificed myself for all human and cuzin kind - ok, so I was also curious.

Is anybody out there a vaporizer? Come share your story. I DO NOT condone smoking. This isn't smoking and I'm not just blowing vapor!

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 8 months ago

I prefer my cherry, mint and chocolate in my milkshakes, not in my lungs. Just old fashioned, I guess.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Interesting avatar, Boston. It reminds me of someone, some thing lingering on the periperal. Ah, perhaps I've vapored too long or alas, lingered too long without vapor. PTSD? Perhaps.

Any knowledge about whether nicotine is emitted from the lips/lungs of the vapor partaker? Or how long this product was tested on rats, mice and mole before humankind?

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 8 months ago

"Will I take up smoking again? Maybe, on occasion." Dangerous territory there! I quit for over seven years, and then thought smoking "just one" would be OK. After only one, there was no stopping and I was a smoker again for about 13 years.

My last cig was on Sept 29, 2000. I don't want to risk the e-cigs, but I have been tempted.

IndusRiver 4 years, 8 months ago

In a world where everybody has an opinion but nobody knows what they're doing I'll live my life my old timin' way, thanks. Got too far behind listening to too many experts. I did finally break that habit. Nothing personal to anyone anywhere and at any time.

KansasPerson 4 years, 8 months ago

"That alive sensation that had always given me so much satisfaction."

Glad to hear you're a big fan of being alive. Me, too! But you might want to read this:

"FDA notified healthcare professionals and patients that a laboratory analysis of electronic cigarette samples has found that they contain carcinogens and toxic chemicals such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze."

KansasPerson 4 years, 8 months ago

Of course, even if it's true that an e-cig has that one chemical (and studies do appear inconsistent), it's still probably better than the hundreds that are in regular cigarette smoke.

So yeah, maybe a good thing for people who can use it as a successful stepping-stone to quitting. But your comment about how you might take up (e-)smoking apparently caught the eye of more commenters than just me. If you're off cigs, STAY off, and don't give yourself some "vaporized" thing when you are well past the time of needing a cig substitute anymore!

IndusRiver 4 years, 8 months ago

Prescription medications are fast becoming the #1 killer of the American people. Just the facts, man.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Good points made by all of you. Ron, I'm soooo disappointed to hear your lips were touched by cig butts.

Trust that I'll never smoke again. I'd quit many years back and then rj Reynolds and company hired me to walk around handing out their products. I thought I'd smoke them during the promotional work and even with all the coughing and gagging I went through the same as the first time I'd ever smoked, I still became an addict and was up to two packs a day when I quit 18 years ago with the help of the patch

For those of you who read blog titles, notice I said quitting - not starting. Oddly enough, I didn't cough or choke or retch on my few tokes. I didn't even feel a nicotine buzz. But then I'd had a raspberry ale sip or two. I was a very, very wicked woman this weekend. Can I ever forgive myself? Next blog! :)

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

Quit when they were 35 cents a pack. Too expensive.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes, in sooo many ways. When one figures price of smokes, illness, diseases, second hand other wise, loss of life and limb due to fires, so costly.

You're how old? 35 cents a pack. Goodness, must have been before I was vaporized. Think how changing that one word changes so many songs and sayings

Blowing vapor up your a$$ vapor gets in your eyes on top of old vapor where there's vapor, there's not fire.

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

Songs with smoke (vapor) in them . . .

"Vapor on the Water"

"Vaporin’ With the Devil"

"Don't Let Smokey Mountain Vapor Get in Your Eyes"

"Up in Vapor"

"Vaporin' In The Boys' Room"

“Vapor Rings”

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

Oh yeah, 1969, Winstons $.35 pack, $3.25 carton. tried columbian cigars for a short time then quit completely.

Someone else smoking usually doesn't bother me.

A room full of smokers, I gotta leave.

Once in a while someone will light one up and I"ll perk up and think,'Ummm, that's a Winston!'

IndusRiver 4 years, 8 months ago

Very theatrical itemization of THE END. Real world is a bit of a different place, though. Live, and don't worry about tomorrow.

riverdrifter 4 years, 8 months ago

I quit Marlboroughs when they were $0.70/pack. Too expensive.

Ronda, you can't go home again. Don't get vaporized. Just walk away!

bearded_gnome 4 years, 8 months ago

heart stimulation? ... adiction? ...

got any E-women?

Kontum1972 4 years, 8 months ago

i prefer the green tree frog flavor...gives u the green-eyed look.....

Kontum1972 4 years, 8 months ago

Ron, u forgot the salt-peter flavor they put in cigs to keep them burning...or else they would go out like... cigars.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, I was a Marlborough woman. Liked the cowboy I guess. Then I heard what happened to him and switched to Merit ultra lights thinking I was doing my body better; wrong again. My brother hated cig smokers so I had to smoke Hava Tampa jewels around him - or whatever they were called. Pretty little cigars.

You're correct about the not going home part, river. Time to walk the line!

You all act as though I have no self control. Hehe I'm really not having any huge temptation to run out and buy them or steal them. Of course, if someone came around me and I spotted them vaporizing, who knows how weak I'd be. My will power might go up in vapor. Roe, do you remember the group Vapor Robinson? They were great!

Gnome. Were you ever a smoker? A joker, a toker, a midnight vaporizer?

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

"Do you vaporize after sex?"

"I don't know, I never looked!"

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 8 months ago

"It's easy to quit smoking. I've done it hundreds of times" - Mark Twain

schula 4 years, 8 months ago

Ronda -- don't go back! I know you have the will power and can resist the e-cigs!

riverdrifter 4 years, 8 months ago

"I used to smoke expensive cigars. They were $2. Wait, they were only $1.50. Yes, I believe they were $1.50 - a barrel."

• Mark Twain

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes, and amazingly people say that line believing it all the while. So, since I recently vaporized, does that mean I haven't quit?

What was the movie where people would exclaim, "smokin!". It may have been a Jim Carey flick - not the same as spinning around and saying, "vaporizing!"

bearded_gnome 4 years, 8 months ago

if there are recent comments tucked in above mine, I ain't read them.
stop the threadeddedddeededness madness!

well, no I've been smoke free/tobacco free all my life.
now as to being "smokin' hot" well, I think I'll plead the Fifth!

yes Ronda, just say no!
if you need something to put in your mouth ... well ... there's likorish or however the heck you spell the long stick black or red candy!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

It was the evils of the candy cigarettes that got a lot of us smoking, Mel! Those things were rather yummy up to a point. Do they still make them and were they a scam by cigarette companies to hook us early on? They probably contained nicotine.

You guys are missing the 'supposed' point about the e butt - they don't have to be a negative or addictive. If you're using them without nicotine and it's not smoking, how can they be bad? It'd be like enhaling - breathing if you will - scented air.

Aces! Vaporizing Aces. Lovin it. I'm gonna lie back with some licorice - my color is red cuz they don't make a mentol licorice, and pretend I'm vaporizing. Thanks for the oral salvation, gnome.

independant1 4 years, 8 months ago

put some vick's vaporub on the upper lip and enjoy the licorice

riverdrifter 4 years, 8 months ago

Uhm, Ronda girl could spend all that money at the track, instead -lot more fun. Bonus: you get to gussy up!

Suppose: Race 7, exacta part-wheel, $10, 8 with the 3, 9, 11

So hastens the heart, so quickens the step -give me some thoroughbreds...

BTW, test: how much does the above wager cost?

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Crap. Never good at the math part. 30 dollars she responds cringing in fear of being wrong.

Agreed that money spent at the track would be much more fun. As easily vaporized, perhaps, but beauty involved like no other.

riverdrifter 4 years, 8 months ago

Pass! Ah, weedhopper. You learn fast. You'll edjumactate faster when the money is real & yourn. See.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Weedhopper? Don't you mean vapor hopper? As long as my winning horse doesn't vaporize once it passes the finish line - well, at least until cold, hard cash resides in sweaty palm.

sassypants 4 years, 8 months ago

No cigs for me now for 3 weeks. I actually think I can do it THIS time. Yes, I have quit about 8 times now and the longest was 3 months. I am using the patch and lots of gum and crushed ice. I dont think i want to use the e-cig because to me having a cig in my mouth would only make me want a real cigarette. Triggers are covered and getting easier. I got pissed off the other night and wanted a cigarette real bad, went to bed instead. Thats how I usually start smoking again is someone pissing me off and I cave in. I'm really going to try this time. One day at a time.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

You can do it, Sassy! Great attitude. I saw how hard you worked last year and we all saw the terrific results. You've got will power and you know yourself. Both are key to your success. Hope to catch your sassy pants in zumba at some point!

trinity 4 years, 8 months ago

ita, autie. i am quit since january 15, myself. no drugs, no patch, nothin'. i know far too many people who have used such things; unfortunately they are still fighting and smoking. not to say i am not at risk of smoking again; but today i just don't want to. period. :) isn't there a principle about an "easier softer way" somewhere-that it just mostly does not work? i like not having to "fight" to not smoke. "Behavior subsitution doesn't count, it merely mask the same addictition so it can pop back up at any time. " your last sentence is a gem and bears repeating.

levicircle2 4 years, 8 months ago

Personal experience: After smoking for 38 years, and multiple failed attempts to quit (including the use of Big Pharma products like Chantix), I received my e-cig April 8, 2009. My last "analog" cigarette: April 8, 2009.

For those wondering about their safety and effectiveness in helping a person quit smoking, and the incredible, disingenuous campaign against them by (supposedly) anti-tobacco groups, I suggest the blog of Dr. Michael Siegel, Professor in the Department of Community Health Sciences, Boston University School of Public Health.

Dr. Siegel is a huge supporter of smoking bans - but he hates junk science more than anything else. You'll find entries ranging from studies on e-cigs to the junk science that comes from many pro-smoking ban advocates.

You can find the information at http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/

Vape on!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Autie, good for you! I hope you're putting your savings into a special health trip of sorts. - save a couple of years worth and you'll have funds and energy to enjoy a trip abroad. Let us know your success!

Levi, thanks for providing a link to some fact based info and for taking the time to share it along with your personal experience. Continued success to you certainly. The E really seems better than any of the other choices, in my personal experience. I tried quitting with Valium to calm my nerves and sleep through withdrawal, nicotine gum which actually made my nicotine adddiction worse - I chewed it and smoked, and did quit with the patch 18 years ago on April fools day; knowing I was a fool if I didn't quit. I had planned that date months in advance and every time I smoked, I pictured my young son and daughter looking at me in a casket. I was so ready to quit by April 1 that I scarcely used the patch three days.

Do what works for you - you know your strengths and weaknesses. Just don't give up until you're free. Now I'll go read the study.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

OMG, just saw independants comments about menthol and licorice. Too frikin funny - sound advice though. I'll try it. Or, I could glue the licorice to my upper lip and eat the vicks!

leapinlemur 4 years, 8 months ago

Hmmm... I'll admit I'm a little taken aback by the tone of this blog entry and a lot of the responses.

I'm far from an anti-tobacco advocate (at least as far as bans and taxes are concerned) but the fact of the matter is that eCigs still involve inhaling carcinogenic substances. I can't cite my specific sources for legal reasons but let's just say that I have had the opportunity to read many studies of carcinogenic elements in cigarette smoke. Yes, there are lots of constituents in smoke that will scare the crap out of you and that probably are not good for you but all indications are that the nicotine itself is the real danger. Paint pure nicotine on the backs of rats and you get cancer. Remove the nicotine and you have a relatively safer smoke.

The one thing I will not claim to be sure of is what exact differences there are between nicotine molecules that have been burned/combusted versus vaporized. Most studies of nicotine carcinogenity involve the condensated tars of the nicotine after combustion.

Anyway, I will conclude with the following more cautious advice: if you don't smoke or have already quit, don't use this as an excuse to start. eCigs are still addictive (nicotine) and there is absolutely no empirical evidence that they are less harmful than regular cigarettes (at least in any long-term sense). If you do smoke already, this may be something to consider as a way of easing off but you are still going to be far better off if you really quit!

I'll get off my high horse now and, by the way, chocolate eCigs sound like a gateway drug to freebasing Ho Hos. Trade your nicotine addiction for the new American addiction: sugar!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes, sugar, salt, white bread and fats. It's the American diet of living large! Toss in booze and nicotine and ask, having fun yet? The answer is likely, no, feel like crap! Don't know why.

Leap, this blog entry is very similar to your opinion. As stated throughout, smoking is dangerous to the smoker and any one in proximity. Also stated is it should be a useful tool to quit smoking or to use with no nicotine. I haven't seen anyone on here say smoking is safe or healthy or even ok. No calories in the chocolate e smokes, although I have to admit I'm making fudge with my other hand right now. Hehe. Thanks for your opinion on this matter.

Ron, please pass it and stop hoarding

KansasPerson 4 years, 8 months ago

Still chuckling at "free-basing Ho Hos."

And Ronda, I actually read something once about an old man who attributed his longevity (in part) to eating a tablespoon of Vicks every day. EATING IT! I nearly die just thinking about that -- GROSS!!!!!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes, Kansas, we have some real comedians on site. And eating vicks is hard to imagine. I love the smell and the feeling though when it's cold or flu season. What people do, or attempt to try, never fails to horrify and amuse. Not at the same time, of course. :

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

Hmmm . . . eating Vicks. Must be an acquired taste. But then, who didn't cough and hack over their first cigarette, only to say,"Let me try that again!"

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

How long were you a smoker?

Yes, isn't it strange how weird humans are. We purposely force toxins into our body so we can be cool, but we can't manage to eat right or exercise 'or quit smoking' to literally save our lives.

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

6 years, up to 2 1/2 to 3 packs per day, developing hacking cough. 22 years old when I quit

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Wow, you started smoking early, but I guess the same age many of us began experimenting. I emulated an aunt, but she later served as an example by quitting too. That is such a strong addiction. You got smart early if you quit at 22. Good for you that you quit, stayed quit and didn't let peer pressure dictate your path.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 8 months ago

E cigs are made in China. I wonder if it's payback for the opium wars, and some people over there are scheming to get Westerners addicted to get even with us for that.

And to make money in the process, too!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Really, peach, almond and vanilla? Interesting flavors.

My concern, if they're truly made in china, is at what point do the flavors come out and we get the lead, mercury, toxins - yeah, besides all those other knowns and unknowns in cigs, added. Dog food deaths? We ain't see nothing yet. When are the states going to hop on board?

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 8 months ago

Flavors,,, as part of facebook joking, a thread got started about snow cones. I got carried away and looked up all the different snow cone flavors:

Almond, Bahama Mama, Banana, Banana Cream Pie, Banana Daiquiri, Black Jack, Blackberry, Blackberry Cheesecake, Blackberry Daiquiri, Blueberry, Blueberry Cheesecake, Bubblegum, Blue, Bubblegum, Clear, Bubblegum, Pink, Buttercream, Buttered Popcorn, Butterscotch, Cajun Praline, Candy Apple, Caramel, Cheesecake, Cherry Cheesecake, Cherry Cola, Cherry Colada, Cherry Daiquiri, Cherry, Black, Cherry, Clear, Cherry, Red, Cherry, Wild, Chocolate Fudge, Cinnamon, Citrus Cooler, Citrus Paradise, Coconut, Blue, Coconut, White, Coffee, Coke Float, Cola, Cotton Candy, Cream Soda, Custard, Daiquiri, Dreamsicle, Flan, Fruit Punch, Fuzzy Navel, Georgia Peach, Grape, Grape, Clear, Green Apple, Hawaiian, Hawaiian, Blue, Honey Dew, Hurricane, Ice Cream, Jungle Juice, King Cake, Kiwi, Leche, Lemon, Lemon Lime, Lemon, Clear, Lime, Mai Tai, Mango, Mango Margarita, Margarita, Mellow Berry, Nectar, Ninja Turtle, Orange, Orange Delight, Orange Spike, Passion Fruit, Peach, Peach Colada, Peach Daiquiri, Peach Margarita, Pina Colada, Pineapple, Pineapple Colada, Pineapple Daiquiri, Pink Lemonade, Popeye, Raspberry Daiquiri, Raspberry, Blue, Raspberry, Red, Red Hot, Red Velvet Cake, Rock N Roll, Root Beer, Root Beer Float, Shrek, Silver Fox, Sour Blue Bubblegum, Sour Blue Raspberry, Sour Blueberry, Sour Cherry, Sour Grape, Sour Green Apple, Sour Lemon, Sour Mango, Sour Pineapple, Sour Red Raspberry, Sour Strawberry, Sour Watermelon, Spearmint, Sponge Bob, Strawberry, Strawberry Cheesecake, Strawberry Colada, Strawberry Daiquiri, Strawberry Margarita, Strawberry, Clear, Tamarind, Tangerine, Tiger Blood, Tropical Medley, Tutti Fruiti, Vanilla, Vanilla, French, Watermelon, Wedding Cake, Wine Cooler, and Yellow Cake Batter.

So if you're just going for flavors, forget the Ecigs and stick to snow cones!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Snow cone season is indeed upon us. There's a tigers blood that I adore. No vick's vapor snow? What a pity.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 8 months ago

Yeah they don't have a beer flavor either. The DO have a coffee flavor, which seems to defeat the purpose of a snow cone somehow,,,

RoeDapple 4 years, 8 months ago

Saw an ad for flavored condoms. Now why would they add flavor to . . . . . . oops. never mind ...

Ronda Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Interestingly enough, Roe, when I went with my son to the required sex education at the Health Department, they passed a flavored condom around so everyone could have a look, smell, taste. I thought it a little unusual, but it's the trend...and has been trending for some time now.