LJWorld.com weblogs Angell at My Table

Heath Ledger... Another Loss For My Generation

Let's face it, there aren't that many young actors in film these days that are genuinely good at their craft. So, it hurts to lose one of them.The 70's had DeNiro, Pacino, Nicholson... but what about our generation's leading men? Sure, there are some interesting guys out there like Jake Gyllenhaal and Tobey Maguire, but they're a little soft. Can you really imagine either of them carrying a film like "Five Easy Pieces?"Heath Ledger was more than just a pretty face. The depth and subtlety he displayed in "Brokeback Mountain" was powerful stuff. His emotion was not felt just in dialogue but in his strong silence as well. I think he could have had one of those careers like Johnny Depp; balancing roles between thoughtful dramas and blockbusters while leaving a trail of memorable characters in his wake. Was it the Joker role that did it to him? The drugs? Depression? Who's to say? It's just another senseless death in an industry that could use more true talent like his. Guess we'll just have to give that "Five Easy Pieces" remake to Ryan Gosling.

Comments

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 2 months ago

".....every since I saw The Patriot, what a great movie."

Ugh. You have got to be kidding. Great movie? Great has officially lost its original meaning.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 2 months ago

I need to get out more. Saw the news this AM that Heath Ledger had died and I had no idea who he was.

Too bad he's gone, 'cause he's a human being, but I don't think Hollywood will have much of a problem to replace his kind of talent.

Lindsey Buscher 7 years, 2 months ago

Respected Ledger, HATED The Patriot!

I just wish Heath would have traded places with one of these Neo-Hollywood-Tabloidites and one of them would have bit it instead.

moo 7 years, 2 months ago

Very sad, he was definitely the heartthrob of junior high. What do you do when the guy from the teen flicks of your formative years OD's?

I have to disagree with Marlo, though, Jake Gyllenhaal was way better in Brokeback Mountain.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 2 months ago

Maybe that's the problem. A couple of guys doing each other. No romance. No plot. Just a couple of guys doing each other in a film that was intended to shock the status quo.

The stuff Hollywood legends are made of, for a couple of months.

BBM wasn't a good film.

sks6cf 7 years, 2 months ago

Heath Ledger was a good person. It's a really big loss.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 2 months ago

Did Heath Ledger employ some of these bloggers? If not, exactly what is the loss? Someone else will have to play The Joker in the next Batman movie? C'mon folks, he wasn't that great of an actor.

GretchenJP 7 years, 2 months ago

I didn't know who he was when I heard of his death either, I had to look him up on IMDB. He looks familar but I haven't seen any of his movies.

dolceirish42 7 years, 2 months ago

i was so shocked!!!! it made me really sad, because like you say, who do we have for our generation? A loss of life is sad no matter if the guy was the best actor or the worst. I think what some of these other people don't understand so much, is that he also had potential to be one of the greats. And now we'll never know! - yo couz @ the dame.

jonas 7 years, 2 months ago

"I didn't know who the guy was. . .

In any case, Clark Gable or Gary Cooper the guy wasn't."

Since you didn't know who he was, I don't see how you can effectively make this statement, in any other sense that the most literal.

But you're right, he was not Clark Gable or Gary Cooper. They both died a long time ago, so that rules out even them wearing a mask.

J Good Good 7 years, 2 months ago

"Marion (Marion Lynn) says: I didn't know who the guy was and haven't seen "Brokeback" because I have no interest in it."

Well I can see why you would need to comment on this blog then!

He was a really good actor and didn't stick to the safe predictable pretty boy roles.

alm77 7 years, 2 months ago

Dirty, that's Mary-Kate Olson, now don't be bringin' Ashley into this.... ;)

So far, they haven't been able to detect any obvious drug abuse. Even his "rolled up twenty" was clean (how the hell does that happen?) Maybe it was a drug interaction. The kid was on 6 scripts. I'm two years older than he is and have never been on an ongoing prescription regime in my life.

acg 7 years, 2 months ago

"Yet another feature of our generation : after suspecting the actor was dead, before calling the police, the "massage therapist" called: Mary-Kate Ashley!?!?!?!?!?!

(You can't make this stuff up.)"--DirtyLinen

That freakin' cracked me up. Yeah, when I'm stuck in a panic situation faced with a possible dead body that's who I'd call, an angry little 78 lb. billionaire frog faced hobo.

In all seriousness, I liked Heath Ledger. Oscar material? Probably not. I don't know about Brokeback Mtn because as liberal minded as I am about letting them do their thing and get married or what not, I couldn't bear to watch it after I heard about some of the stuff that was in it. However, he was really cute in a Knight's Tale, Bro's Grimm and 10 Things. And he did a really good job in Monster's Ball.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 2 months ago

It's like the plane that hit the Pentagon and killed all those government workers. No work slowdown since the majority of government workers don't do necessary jobs anyway.

Heath Ledger gone? Hollywood has already recovered.

1. You call Mary Kate Olsen.
  2. You call 911.

Hint: Calling #1 is really stupid.

What's your answer?

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 2 months ago

Most of my comments stem from the title of this blog:

"Heath Ledger... Another Loss For My Generation"

I guess I have a real problem with people who adorize the empty-headed Hollywood types as being more than opportunistic wage earners.

They're not special. Most are not even talented. Heath Ledger did some amusing films like A Knight's Tale, but the guy was far from a big screen icon, please, get a grip.

jonas 7 years, 2 months ago

"And, I thought the Mary Kate Olsen thing was odd too. You find a nonresponsive person in bed:

1. You call Mary Kate Olsen."

The order is questionable, but are you aware that he died in her apartment? If you had a famous actor seemingly dead in your apartment, would you not like to know?

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 2 months ago

By the same token Defender, if you scream at people that scream at people, well....see you in therapy....

J Good Good 7 years, 2 months ago

You can leave the room for maybe six minutes total for Brokeback and not have to be all squeamish about boys touching each other and still get a lot out of the movie, in my opinion.

I though that it was a very well told, and sad, love story. I realize that the people who would get the most out of it will never see it....

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 2 months ago

But, my fellow therapy-goer, Mssr Defender, the problem goes much beyond simple misplaced adoration.

People that can't think for themselves is the result.

They give money to hokey pokey churches like scientology (L. Ron Hubbard forchristssake...) because Tom Cruise is a member.

They hate George Bush and firearms because MIchael Moore tells his lies and they don't question them.

They vote for Barack Obama because Oprah tells them to.

People that idolize others are sheep and have an adverse influence on everyone's existance...that's why I don't like them.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 2 months ago

jg, two guys buggering each other. What's touching about that? There was no sensitivity or feeling. Everytime those guys met, they just attacked each other roughly. A worthless movie.

J Good Good 7 years, 2 months ago

To each their own, movies are one of those things that there is little accounting for taste. You might be a little hung up on "buggering" - I would not think that we saw the same movie from your description.

There are like two brief sexual scenes (with the two men - they also show both of them with their wives) and a couple of kisses in the whole movie.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 2 months ago

Defender (Anonymous) says: Are you trying to imply that I am female or gay? Sorry, if so, you're wrong on both accounts.

waaaaa???? Dude, before I was kidding about therapy, but seriously, get some. You're clearly delusional with some kind of a kick-me complex.

jonas 7 years, 2 months ago

Dirtylinen: I believe that I read that somewhere, perhaps she owns the building. I could, of course, be mistaken.

jonas 7 years, 2 months ago

"They give money to hokey pokey churches like scientology (L. Ron Hubbard forchristssake:) because Tom Cruise is a member.

They vote for Barack Obama because Oprah tells them to.

People that idolize others are sheep and have an adverse influence on everyone's existance:that's why I don't like them."

I think the actual occurance of people truly like this (at least to this intensity) is probably a lot lower than you imagine it to be.

BigPrune 7 years, 2 months ago

This guy got the oscar nomination because he played a gay guy and I've read they showed the disgusting things that gay guys do in that Borkeback Mountain movie.

jeduhu 6 years, 8 months ago

This is an old blog, but needs to be revisited!!! Yes! He was a loss, you just didn't know it yet.I like coming back to this topic after Batman's release. I have to say... until I saw Heath play the Joker, I liked him, but was waiting for better roles, till this one, my favorite was The Patriot with Mel Gibson, he was just a young face I knew.but... what's really sad, is, yes, he would have been great. That's all I can say. He had franchise written all over him on the screen, he stole the show, I read on another blog saying they'll have to replace him, I think it can be done, but we lost someone who was just growing into who he was going to be.... he was about to take the next step in his career and believe me, when you are almost there... it's mentally absorbing. Poor guy.... one thing Heath and me have (had) in common. I have the same sleeping disorder, so, I really started watching myself. I've taken xanax, ambien. They only work for a couple of months... and then they stop (switch to natural stuff if you can) . I use Valerian root, or Melatonin when I can find it, but I'm in Bangkok editing my film, so sleep is something that just doesn't like to stick around, even if you quit caffeine, any other stimulants... in this biz for people who doesn't know, film is more work than you think... the mind keeps racing till 7am, work is often 15 to 17 hour days, mentally, then it's time to go again, it's tiring, and easily addictive because your energy pours into making the film, acting, directing, writing, and it's easy to forget about yourself during the process, especially at a young age, we think we're invincible and hell, he was 5 years younger than me. Sounds like that happened to him, I shake my head again. Yeah, what a loss. RIP Heath.- Hundley