LJWorld.com weblogs Angell at My Table

Colony Collapse at the Natural History Museum

Anyone checking out the dinosaur bones at the Natural History Museum this afternoon was treated to a rock concert by local band Colony Collapse. Okay, so maybe my oldest son plugged his ears when we approached the music taking place in front of the animal dioramas, but, hey, the kid's a little sensitive to loud noises. Once we were safely by the fossils, he gave in to the sheer energy this rock and roll soundtrack provided to the afternoon's prehistoric journey and danced down the hallways chanting "dino bones" to the beat (well, sort of) with his younger brother in tow.This epic kind of instrumental rock reminded me of east coast band, Saxon Shore, the group that did my film score. So admittedly, I may be a bit biased for this kind of sound, but for myself and my brood, these Lawrence guys rocked the house today. Just hope they didn't collapse the colony upstairs.

Comments

Marlo Angell 6 years, 4 months ago

Okay, I'm curious, what exactly is colony collapse?

acoupstick 6 years, 4 months ago

"And I thought you meant the colony failure syndrome that affects honey bee colonies."Ha ha! Me too! Hooray for science nerds.

Jerry Elliott 6 years, 4 months ago

marlo--long time, no read. is the film project completed? my son enjoyed the natural history museum 40 yrs ago--and i still enjoy it. jerry

Ronda Miller 6 years, 4 months ago

Marlo, is the music a treat that takes place on a regular schedule? Sounds like it made for even more fun than a regular visit to our famous museum.Three things I most loved about coming to the University of Kasas: Natural History museum, Jim Ryan (I idolized his running career), and Jim Thorpe ( I idolized his running as well).Hopefully yours sons ears are healing.

Linda Hanney 6 years, 4 months ago

Marlo--speaking of your film--I didn't miss the premier, did I?

djthomas 6 years, 4 months ago

Colony collapse is a term used for the loss of bee colonies across the world due to human interference. my name is David Thomas, I'm actually the drummer for Colony Collapse. The whole idea of our band is centered around the bee colony collapse disorder, the Natural History Museum (my place of employment) was hardly immune to the effects of CCD and lost their colony a while back. We recently got a new colony in on the 6th floor and the show was actually a homecoming for the bees. I'm sorry if you were hoping for a nice quiet day in the museum, i promise it usually is. hope your sons ears aren't still ringing....

Paul Decelles 6 years, 4 months ago

ROFLAnd I thought you meant the colony failure syndrome that affects honey bee colonies. Guess I really need to get a life.

Marlo Angell 6 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for the background, David! I wonder how exactly the human interference causes such destruction...I actually really enjoyed the music and my kids did, too, once they were just a little farther away from the main action. Feel free to post any upcoming gigs or website/ demo info in case anyone reading this might want to check you guys out.Thanks again for providing a great soundtrack to our prehistoric experience upstairs!

Marlo Angell 6 years, 4 months ago

Linda & Jerry,I am still finishing up some details on the film (why I've been kinda slacking on my blog), so am looking at fall as a completion date. Don't worry, you'll definitely hear from me about it (as this is going on 3 years in the making, I'll be pretty excited to get it out there!)That's a good question, Ronda. I'm not sure if it'll be regular thing, but it would be great if it did- it made for a memorable visit.

Paul Decelles 6 years, 4 months ago

Ah ha! So I wasn't so far off after all. Another example of how knowing about science enriches one's life.

Nikki May 6 years, 4 months ago

See, I clicked on this thinking "Oh no, they lost the bees again." Glad it was just good music!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 4 months ago

So, did we ALL think it was the bees?( ... as it turns out, perhaps only the bees' knees. )

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 3 months ago

A bad headline! Thanks for freaking us all out.

paint 6 years, 3 months ago

hi to all. just began classes.keep in touch.always in my thoughts.say hi to my liitle guys for me. love to all.