LJWorld.com weblogs Angell at My Table

Has the Assassination Changed Your Opinion of the Candidates?

Experience was the buzz word on the campaign trail today as Benazir Bhutto was assassinated after a political rally. It has all the stuff screenwriters dream of. A courageous woman with a tragic past: allegations of political corruption: a return to politics to restore order to a troubled land: and finally, a tragic ending. But what will the coda for this film be? Will Al Qaeda gain control of Pakistan's nuclear weapons, or will some other leader emerge out of Bhutto's shadow?With all these questions in the air, America felt the all too familiar twinges of concern over national security today. And who better to assuage these fears than the '08 presidential candidates. The future leader of our nation is out there- he or she will put us at ease:. right? Well, maybe. Let's see how they fared.McCain and Clinton seemed to take center stage as they were seen as the most "experienced." I bought McCain's grandfatherly assurance that he knew all the players in this game and could take on this challenge if given the reins. Clinton, I found to be smooth and confident, but does the word "experienced" fit her? I'm not so sure. As first lady, she did meet with foreign leaders, including Bhutto, but does this really translate to foreign policy experience? I say this in light of the recent information that has come out on her lack of involvement in the White House affairs during Bill's presidency (and I don't just mean Monica). Perhaps, we are supposed to accept Bill's experience as her experience, but this seems a bit condescending for our first female candidate. I liked the way Edwards stepped up and called Musharraf on the phone. Okay, maybe not much came from it, but I give the guy points for taking some action, not just putting out a press release.Giuliani made an attempt to connect the events in Pakistan to 9-11 in order to prove he had experience (there's that buzz word again). But, as McCain pointed out, Giuliani was involved in post-crisis problem solving, not necessarily anti-terrorist dealings.At the bottom end of the scale, Mitt Romney and Barack Obama seemed kind of awkward with their responses to the tragedy. At least Hillary seemed comfortable with her statement on the assassination. My guy, Obama, was a bit disappointing. He has strong opinions on Pakistan and Musharraf, so why did he seem so unprepared? You think someone on his campaign staff would have helped him get his act together before he picked up that microphone. If you are pitching yourself as an agent of change, use that to your advantage and turn the experience question on its head (i.e. the way we have been doing things has not been working, so let's try something new).Well, yesterday, it was immigration; today it is national security. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. But in politics, you should always be prepared.

Comments

lildos 6 years, 3 months ago

"2 giant steps toward restoring liberty."

Whose liberty? I guess I am confused...

Mkh 6 years, 3 months ago

Ron Paul on the assassination:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHCmi-B17Xw youtube.com/watch?v=YdVLYK4ZgoM dandelionsalad.wordpress.com/2007/12/27/ron-paul-on-msnbc-tucker-122707-video/

Mkh 6 years, 3 months ago

Ron Paul on the assassination...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=etQDCrd584s

Mkh 6 years, 3 months ago

No mention of Ron Paul? This blog is terrible.

gogoplata 6 years, 3 months ago

Maybe I am just naive or do not know that much about American politics, but how is one person going to change all of our foreign policy? Are we living in Russia now?

As commander in chief he could immediately begin the process of bringing troops home from the 130 countries around the world we have them stationed in. Also he could negate some of the unconstitutional executive orders that have been issued. 2 giant steps toward restoring liberty.

compmd 6 years, 3 months ago

I, for one, do not support the candidates from the Al Qaeda party in the coming year's elections.

devieh 6 years, 3 months ago

read it and believe it or check out english al jazeera and see what they have to say.

al CIAda killed her.

we are so fukked.

BunE 6 years, 3 months ago

I think millions of America are somewhere in the back of their minds thinking about 1992-2000 and how effective our Democratic prez was during that time

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 6 years, 3 months ago

Reports now say that she wasn't felled by an assassin's bullet, but rather that died after she bumped her head on the car's sunroof.

Godot 6 years, 3 months ago

But Is she really dead? There are conflicting versions of the attack and conflicting versions of the cause of death; she was buried, per custom, within 24 hours, the casket was closed. Now CNN comes out with an email sent from Bhutto to Wolf Blitzer last October saying that the email is only to be released if she is killed, and puts the blame on Musharif. Now Pakistan is rioting against Musharif, even though Al Qaeda has claimed responsibility.

lildos 6 years, 3 months ago

"We should mind our own business and the only way that will happen is if we elect Ron Paul."

bobberboy 6 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I will vote for whoever is the most pro-wipe out the alqueda taliban types.

Erin Parmelee 6 years, 3 months ago

Keith (Anonymous) says:

It has reinforced my concern that right_thinker has 2 errors in his nickname.

LOL. I have always just thought he was being ironic.....

truthhurts 6 years, 3 months ago

McCain and Clinton experienced? At what? Helping screw up our economy, foreign policy, election laws, etc.

Keith 6 years, 3 months ago

It has reinforced my concern that right_thinker has 2 errors in his nickname.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 3 months ago

I think millions of America are somewhere in the back of their minds thinking about 1978-1979 and how ineffective our Democrat prez was during that time.

BunE 6 years, 3 months ago

It quickly became clear that the Republic-nots are more interested in supporting authoritarian rule in middle east countries than "bringing democracy" to the world.

gogoplata 6 years, 3 months ago

Marlo, you failed to mention Ron Pauls reaction. Like it or not he is a contender for the Republican nomination. More so than McCain.

Ron Pauls foreign policy of non intervention is supported by this article with Bhutto.

b_asinbeer 6 years, 3 months ago

Yes, it has made me realize even more that Giuliani is a tool.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 3 months ago

Yes, it vastly increased my awareness that Defeat-O-Crats truly feel GWB's war on terror is nothing more than a bumper sticker slogan and will continue to aid and abet the terrorists.

Jerry Elliott 6 years, 3 months ago

marlo--you and your spouse should write the screenplay. jerry

Kathy Getto 6 years, 3 months ago

Of course it has not changed my mind.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 6 years, 3 months ago

Mike Huckabee was the moron of the day. Wait, that didn't change my opinion.