LJWorld.com weblogs 25 and bitter

Thanks for firing my pregnant wife before christmas.

To My Wife's Former Employer:Congrats on starting your new sucessful business. When you told my wife that her nice corporate job would be terminated and she would be working for you now because you decided to buy out that part of the franchise we were happy for you. She now gets to work for an individual instead of a corporation and maybe any issues will be resolved quicker because now we're all a small happy company. When you told her that she wouldn't receive a paycheck for a month because that's how your pay structure was gonna work we were a bit skeptical, but we stood by you because you're gonna make us all sucessful.When my wife who was 7 months pregnant found out you wouldn't honor her accrued 6 weeks of maternity leave that we had so greatly anticipated we were disappointed, but still stood by you.When we burnt through our meager savings (we're both in our early 20's and college students as well so $2300 was all we had saved) we thought well it's ok, it's for the greater good.When your first paycheck didn't get direct deposited, we figured, "alright, he's just working out a few kinks"When your second and third paychecks didn't go through, we figured "i hope he figures this out soon"When my vehicle was repossesed for being 18 days in default, i was very upset, but my wife assured me that you would make her successful and we can get another car some day.When it was pay day and we had planned on going out for our anniversary and saw your paycheck hadn't been deposited, i started to lose hope.When my two year old son needed diapers and food and i had to pawn my TV and Guitar , i told myself posesssions are insignificant in comparison to my amazing little boy.When halloween came around and i almost didn't get to take my little boy trick or treating because i could not afford a costume i started to become angry.When Thanksgiving came and we did not have the money to go see our family in Wichita, i prayed that this will all be resolved soon.When we our beautiful baby girl was born at the end of November i thought , this will get better, because we have a new life to support.When your paychecks weren't for the full amount and we did the unthinkable and used YOUR company's credit card to buy diapers and some food for our children because you were not capable of paying my wife on time i knew i had committed a wrong but our children needed it.When you fired my wife 3 weeks before Christmas i cried because i felt hopeless.I am grateful my children are too young to remember the year they wont have much under the tree because you are not capable of running a business that oversees 88 fast food chain restaurants. And while you can afford to live in your beautiful house, drive your fancy Acura TL, and pay for your wife to be "on staff", i seriously hope your children have a wonderful and bountiful christmas because no child should deserve to not know the joys of Christmas. I just want you to know we'll be alright because we're almost done with college, our credit wont show that repo for ever, and we are resourceful and most of all we love our children enough to make sure that next year....Christmas will be like it should.And there wont be much in the way of gifts this year, there will always be alot of love.Merry Christmas from my family , M, H, G, and baby MMusicMyriad@gmail.com

Comments

KSChick1 6 years ago

Can you report him or something??? I'm so sorry!

absolutelyridiculous 6 years ago

countrygirl 6 years ago

Have your wife file a complaint with the Kansas Department of Labor for the back wages.

beatrice 6 years ago

You're wife getting fired from a job that doesn't pay might just be the best Christmas gift you get this year. What would you have preferred, that she continue to work without getting paid in full? How long were you going to let this go on? If he still owes you money, at least take him to small claims court. If it is a greater sum than that, then speak with a lawyer and seek treble damages for the hardship. If you let people take advantage of you, they will.

Beth Bird 6 years ago

mom_of_three 6 years ago

Wow. She was totally taken advantage of, but I think I would have done something after the 2nd paycheck didn't go through.

Luxor 6 years ago

Is your wife immune from reality because she made a personal choice to get preganant?

booklover 6 years ago

Your both students? At KU? Then get yourselves and whatever documentation you have up to legal aide post haste. They will help you file paperwork for back pay and tell you whatever else you need to do to hold this schmo accountable.That won't help for this year's Christmas, but it may come through and be helpful later. I agree with AR, unfortunately this is the way many of our families start out. Times are hard when you are young parents, struggling through school but I can almost guarantee that it WILL get better. And really you're already half way there, you already know that family and love are the important things in life, not the material things. Kiss your babies and your wife and hold them all close to your heart. Peace and blessing and a Merry Christmas to all of you!

areyouserious 6 years ago

cthulhu_4_president 6 years ago

Booklover is right on. KU will offer at least a consultation in the legal office for free, althought your case may be unique as I had the impression while I was there that they mainly deal with DUI's and drug counseling programs.Luxor: Classy. Get a life.

1029 6 years ago

I wouldn't worry about anything. Don't worry about money or finding a new job. Just pray to god and be thankful that you get to spend eternal life in that magical kingdom of His and everything will be alright. amen.

Danielle Brunin 6 years ago

Booklover is right. It will get better, and take heart that at your children's ages, the best present you can give them is love and security. They will carry that with them long after this Christmas. It's much harder on you as a parent than on your children because they haven't been inundated with all of the material things that they are supposed to want. When my child was two, he was happy playing with pots and pans, or a good box! Hang in there and someday you will look back and be proud of how you were able to persevere. Best wishes to you and your family!

Trobs 6 years ago

1029, while I understand the preaching, God is not going to give anyone a job or pay their bills. Part of spending eternal life in Heaven, is making it through your temporary one on Earth first. Without first knowing what hell is, you cannot ever know what Heaven might be like.

alm77 6 years ago

1029, if they don't get an income, they might be going to that magical kingdom sooner rather than later! Gerbil, what I think 1029 is trying to say is, do your best to get a new income and FAST. Nobody can fix this for you (not even God if you're not willing to go out there and try again). This employer sucks, you were taken advantage of and you learned a VERY expensive lesson. Put it in the "life experience" column and move on. While you're moving on, seek that legal council, but don't wait for a lawsuit to solve your problem. I do agree you should pray that God opens doors and presents opportunities, but He won't do the job hunt for you. Maybe in the meantime, call the Salvation Army. They've got that toy store going on right now. Also, I don't recommend welfare as a way of life, but a couple months of food stamps may be in order. What about unemployment? Get your immediate needs met while you're getting a new job. Good luck!

jonas_opines 6 years ago

Luxor: looking at your comment history, I'm guessing that was a joke, but I had to check your comments profile to come to that conclusion, and I'm probably one of the few who will take the time to do that.

Danielle Brunin 6 years ago

alms77,If they are both students, are they able to get unemployment benefits? I had heard not, but I don't know for sure.

alm77 6 years ago

rod, I have no idea. Fortunately, we haven't had to experience that. But there has to be something.

craigers 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure 1029 was being sarcastic since somebody above mentioned prayer.

alm77 6 years ago

dude, if you don't work that teaches your kids not to work and man, then they don't get any tax money. That'd be total burden on society, man. It'd be so much better to work together. Can't we all just get along?craigers, the sarcasm wasn't lost on me. I just decided to run with it.

gerbilsniper 6 years ago

Thanks for your comments. A little background, my wife was working for a major fast food chain as a corporate consultant. She had been working in the company since high school starting out making minimum wage and getting promoted to the corporate side all before she was 21. The company sold of part of it's operations to the individual who had been her boss. She was making a great salary, a company car, and great health insurance. But once the company switched over, everything went downhill. I barely make enough to cover our rent and utilities. She was our bread winner while we BOTH finished our educations. I have heard of Dave Ramsey, i appreciate the link and will use some of his teachings. And Luxor, yes, WE made the personal choice to bring another life into this world...just as YOUR mother did for you. Our baby girl is not the cause of our problems thank you

alm77 6 years ago

invict, I'm assuming that two college students who had previously had a savings of more than $2000 are going to a) get back on top rather quickly and b) pay more into the system in their lifetime than they'll be taking out for this short term hardship. If gerbil hasn't misrepresented himself, I say I'm more than happy to have my tax dollars go to feed his kiddos for a little while. I think most reasonable people would agree.

ClaroAtaxia 6 years ago

For the love of God do NOT waste your time and hard-earned money on Dave Ramsey! He'll tell you to buy things with cash rather than credit, but you and everyone else already knew that. If you want your own common sense packaged and sold back to you, then by all means Dave Ramsey is a good bet.People who take advantage of poor, ignorant people via religion will surely rot in hell.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years ago

Newell_Post 6 years ago

OK, so use the legal options mentioned above to get what you are rightfully owed (if possible). Then suck it up and grow up.You are early 20s, with two kids already, and part time students? Who made those dubious decisions? You did. Stop complaining.In today's world, no jobs are secure, in good economic times or bad. If you don't like the risks associated with being an employee, then start your own business and see if you like entrepreneur's risk any better. You will never have any security working as employees of other people.

geniusmannumber1 6 years ago

1029, you are a joy and a treasure to have on these boards.

pancho_villa 6 years ago

Gail Grant 6 years ago

I wonder why this country do not have rules protecting pregnanat woman. A pregnant woman will have a very hard time to be hired by any other employer as she will be discrimnated. Moreover, employer who want to get away from having an employee on maternity leave fire them and again discriminate them over other people.The same way as jobs should be kept for soliders at war, jobs should be kept for pregnant woman. This is how many other counties do it why can't we? (i'm really wondering, not being cynical)

alm77 6 years ago

Claro, I hardly call a $10 book and a 3 hours of FREE radio (its the only thing on 710 AM worth listening to) a bad deal. So he sells common sense. Not everybody has common sense. You just wish you'd thought of first. ;)

fu7il3 6 years ago

Just clarification, was she fired for illegally using the company credit card?Not saying there weren't contributing reasons to use it, but being fired for potentially a criminal offense could affect in potential lawsuit.

Newell_Post 6 years ago

LOL. Ami, you have obviously never had to manage other people in even the most minimal way. As a manager, with responsibilities for deadlines and profit, I would rather hire a complete novice than a pregnant woman. At least the novice has future potential....Call me whatever names you want, but I have supervised too many pregnant women in the workforce. A few can work through their issues and be productive. Many cannot. And after the baby is born, a few can come back to work and be productive, but political correctness notwithstanding, most cannot IMO. Their heads, their hormones, and their priorities are elsewhere is the majority of cases.I have had many women report to me who were very good workers and who did excellent jobs..... until they got pregnant and had kids. Then they completely went blooey between the ears. After the kids got old enough to be in school, some of these women regained their sanity and returned to the workforce as productive members of the team.

Gail Grant 6 years ago

Newell_post....I actually managed and manage pretty good size of team. I've returned to work full time (both for companies who worked way to many hours in the day) after having my kids and if anything I just became more efficient as my time became more valuable to me.You just proven my point you will discriminate a pregnant woman so she won't be able to find a new job, and this is exactly why we need to protect pregnant woman who are already working and been good employee to their empoloyer (lets say you require a minimum year in that comapny in order to be protected) and now just because the employer "thinks" that she won't be good employee after having her baby he fire her.

kmat 6 years ago

Newell - you are a sick excuse for a person. I hope you don't have a wife and kids.

alm77 6 years ago

invict, so you'd recommend breeding yourself onto the welfare roles on purpose? What? I think the kids would have something to "loose".

georgeofwesternkansas 6 years ago

He has no choice but to pay you for all hours worked, and cannot reduce your pay without proper notice in advance. File a claim, it will cost you nothing.http://www.dol.ks.gov/es/html/wage_DEE.html

BigPrune 6 years ago

I'd like to hear both sides of the story. For one thing, the Family Medical Leave Act should apply to your wife keeping her job. I'm not sure about how much compensation but I believe she was entitled to be compensated during her leave - my wife was compensated full paychecks for 6-8 weeks (cannot remember how long) and 1/2 paychecks for another 2 weeks. Another thing, you cannot have your car repossessed for only being 18 days past due. Did you receive a note to cure from your bank or finance company? If you did, you were over 2 months past due. If you got your car from a buy here pay here car lot - then that would be a different story and you paid way too much. I don't know if that would go on your credit anyway - so you should check into it. Is your complaint about the direct deposit because you wanted it direct deposited and were instead given a check to cash?Using the company credit card probably a huge no-no, was it the reason she lost her job?

gogoplata 6 years ago

Have you considered beating him up? Might make you feel better.

Tony Kisner 6 years ago

gogo - finally a post that makes sense.

Ronda Miller 6 years ago

autie,So, you learned that from your Learn Latin in a Day Flashcards, Autie?

alm77 6 years ago

invict, then in that case. I would agree with you. We've contributed three hard workers of our own. However, we did procrastinate on #3 until things looked a bit more prosperous, not in respect to the economy, but in respect to our own means. But what do you propose to do with the lazys? (besides out breed them?) ;)

RedwoodCoast 6 years ago

I know another couple in town who have a kid and another on the way. She is a student, and he was the breadwinner. Well, he just got fired, too. They aren't sure what they're going to do. Nothing like vindictiveness and fickleness for holiday spirit!

treesplease 6 years ago

Gerbil-I am a mother of 2 boys ages 2 and 6. While my husband and I( also in our mid 20's) are not in your situation we do live paycheck to paycheck like many people in today's workforce. I have no shame in looking at goodwill for toys. Children enjoy opening presents but toys are toys and your children won't care about fancy packaging. In my experience, my boys would rather play with a potato masher or some other random household item then all the blinking flashing toys laying around our house. also, post on craigslist under wanted for toys and baby clothes and watch what happens. there are always nice people out there to balance out the a-holes. good luck!

denak 6 years ago

Gerbil,Allow me to give you some adivce you can actually use:1) As was stated before, gather all the documentation you have and go to Legal Aid. It is unlawful to not pay your employees. They will help you file the neccesssary paperwork. 2) You or you wife go down to the Health Department and apply for WIC. Your daughter and your son( if he is under 5) will qualify due to their age and your income. Your daughter will get the formula she needs and your son will get solid food that he needs. There is nothing wrong with using these programs to help you through hard times. That is what they are there for. You might also want to look into TANF and food stamps.3) When you and your wife fill out your income tax returns, make sure you get Earned Income Credit for both your little boy and your daughter. It will be enough to hold you over for awhile.4) If you are worried about tuition and books, talk to financial aid to see if you can apply for more Pell money or even an endowment loan.It is probably too late to qualify for any of the holiday progams but when you go down to the Health Department or to SRS, ask, there still may be a way to help with the holidays.It is heard to raise a family and go to college (I know I did it) but I was lucky in that I had a job that supported me both financially and emotionally. You and your wife should be proud of the fact that you are going to school and of your children. One of the best memories I have is walking down the hill with my son. Keep going and no matter how hard it gets, Do NOT quit school. There will be people who tell you to do that (including some workers at SRS) but don't do it. That is just a dead end street.Keep trying to do the best you can and ignore all these people on here who like to annonomously take shots at people.DenaP.S. Don't buy any Dave Ramsey books. Why make him richer. Go to the library and check out his books there. While you are at it, there are all kinds of books on being frugal, and budgeting, that you and your wife can check out. You don't have to just use his method.P.P.S. Oh and someone mentioned Goodwill, I love that store and I happen to know that they are still taking applications for their Holiday Spree. One family gets selected and they get a spree in the store. You or your wife should go check it out. With what happened to you two and with two children, who knows you might win it! Good luck!

denak 6 years ago

Gerbil,Allow me to give you some adivce you can actually use:1) As was stated before, gather all the documentation you have and go to Legal Aid. It is unlawful to not pay your employees. They will help you file the neccesssary paperwork.2) You or you wife go down to the Health Department and apply for WIC. Your daughter and your son( if he is under 5) will qualify due to their age and your income. Your daughter will get the formula she needs and your son will get solid food that he needs. There is nothing wrong with using these programs to help you through hard times. That is what they are there for. You might also want to look into TANF and food stamps.3) When you and your wife fill out your income tax returns, make sure you get Earned Income Credit for both your little boy and your daughter. It will be enough to hold you over for awhile.4) If you are worried about tuition and books, talk to financial aid to see if you can apply for more Pell money or even an endowment loan.It is probably too late to qualify for any of the holiday progams but when you go down to the Health Department or to SRS, ask, there still may be a way to help with the holidays.It is heard to raise a family and go to college (I know I did it) but I was lucky in that I had a job that supported me both financially and emotionally. You and your wife should be proud of the fact that you are going to school and of your children. One of the best memories I have is walking down the hill with my son. Keep going and no matter how hard it gets, Do NOT quit school. There will be people who tell you to do that (including some workers at SRS) but don't do it. That is just a dead end street.Keep trying to do the best you can and ignore all these people on here who like to annonomously take shots at people.DenaP.S. Don't buy any Dave Ramsey books. Why make him richer. Go to the library and check out his books there. While you are at it, there are all kinds of books on being frugal, and budgeting, that you and your wife can check out. You don't have to just use his method.P.P.S. Oh and someone mentioned Goodwill, I love that store and I happen to know that they are still taking applications for their Holiday Spree. One family gets selected and they get a spree in the store. You or your wife should go check it out. With what happened to you two and with two children, who knows you might win it! Good luck!

denak 6 years ago

oops sorry for the double post....it told me that the page wasn't available.

Hop2It 6 years ago

In Kansas, you are not eligible for unemployment benefits if you have been fired. You have to be out of work through no fault of your own- such as being laid off or your position being eliminated.https://www.uibenefits.dol.ks.gov/

budwhysir 6 years ago

Amazin how we now pin all our personal decisions on someone else. Sorry to hear of the troubles, however, in todays world, you have to look out for yourself. And yes this guy made some good money off you working for free. However, while they may be part to blame, I am sure the employer is not responsible for all the bad things listed

bearded_gnome 6 years ago

hey GS,recognize your screen name, you been posting on here for a while. d----d dastardly what he did. I agree you were far too patient and should've acted sooner; but that's under the bridge. chuck advice from Dave Ramsey, he has ties to the false prosperity charismatic preachers on TBN tv, and they're really bad stuff. they turn God into a giant coke machine and completely pervert the meaning of "faith." TANF/WIC/food stamps are precisely for people in your circumstances. have you contacted penn house or ballard center to see if your family can be adopted for christmas? good opportunity and you better hurry on that, if it is even still possible. no, shouldn't have appropriated the work credit card, that is a crime, and that doesn't help your situation. thank God you're apparently not being prosecuted for it. and yes, absolutely do not quit school (the best advice above!). that is a gift you will give your kids, and both of you need that. good luck and don't give up! you don't need Dave Ramsey or some other financial guru, and certainly don't need to pass your scarce bucks to him or her. thank God, your wife isn't working for this low life anymore. please keep posting here and let us know how you do over the next month or two. use this thread as a place to update us. if things get really bad, some of us may lend more than verbal assistance. ***and finally, I think Ami needs to study english as a second language.

bearded_gnome 6 years ago

hey GS,recognize your screen name, you been posting on here for a while. d----d dastardly what he did. I agree you were far too patient and should've acted sooner; but that's under the bridge. chuck advice from Dave Ramsey, he has ties to the false prosperity charismatic preachers on TBN tv, and they're really bad stuff. they turn God into a giant coke machine and completely pervert the meaning of "faith." TANF/WIC/food stamps are precisely for people in your circumstances. have you contacted penn house or ballard center to see if your family can be adopted for christmas? good opportunity and you better hurry on that, if it is even still possible. no, shouldn't have appropriated the work credit card, that is a crime, and that doesn't help your situation. thank God you're apparently not being prosecuted for it. and yes, absolutely do not quit school (the best advice above!). that is a gift you will give your kids, and both of you need that. good luck and don't give up! you don't need Dave Ramsey or some other financial guru, and certainly don't need to pass your scarce bucks to him or her. thank God, your wife isn't working for this low life anymore. please keep posting here and let us know how you do over the next month or two. use this thread as a place to update us. if things get really bad, some of us may lend more than verbal assistance. and finally, I think Ami needs to study english as a second language.
*apologies if this multiple posts: I keep hitting that "page not available page" when I hit submit on this posting.

situveux1 6 years ago

I feel for you. A really tough lesson to learn. I too had to learn that when you don't get paid, you don't work.But thankfully, if you're smart, it'll be the last time you have to learn it.

Newell_Post 6 years ago

Ami:If you worked for me, I wouldn't fire you for being pregnant. However, I might fire you for using grossly incompetent grammar, syntax, spelling, and punctuation. I can't believe you hold any kind of management job with writing skills like those demonstrated above.

bearded_gnome 6 years ago

TOB,wrong zip,try:91101, or 90210, or even 95615, hehehe.***a good perspective on Dave Ramsey:http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/id74.htmldunno about the rest of the stuff from this guy, but this one is right on.

bearded_gnome 6 years ago

TOB,wrong zip,try:91101, or 90210, or even 95615, hehehe.a good perspective on Dave Ramsey:http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/id74.htmldunno about the rest of the stuff from this guy, but this one is right on.d----d ljworld servers are doing it again, "page not available" when i hit submit post! c'mon LJWorld, pop for some WD40!oh, btw, if you wish to send money to support my invaluable financial advice, please send card and letter to:Bearded Gnome1 Bearded Gnome way (around the corner from the levee)Financial Piece PlazaLawrence, KS 66044, all donations are tax deductable, I promise.

Connacht 6 years ago

While I definitely feel bad for the OP, it's hard to feel too bad because clearly an unfortunate situation was compounded by poor personal decision making.1. You NEVER work without being paid, and if you take that chance, then you have no right to complain when it falls through. 2. If you're in your early twenties and not even graduated from college, one child is a mistake, two is a grievous error, particularly given the availability of birth control3. Time spent praying would be better spent planning for alternative situations. Surely someone on the cusp of graduation has career plans, and if you don't at this point, that's another serious problem all by itself. As many other people have said, you would do well to consult KU's legal services, or failing that, a law firm that might at a minimum get your wife's back pay. Lets face it, no jury is going to feel much sympathy for someone who fired a short time before Christmas, a pregnant woman. Always make sure to have back-up plans if your current career or education plans fall through. With the economy being what it is today, you can't afford to do otherwise. This will be a hard lesson for you, but make sure you learn from your mistakes this time around so they are not repeated in the future.

avetaysmom 6 years ago

There are places out their that will provide gifts for your kids, donated gifts. My daughter's GS troop adopted a family of six(mom, dad, and four kids) and just spent over 300.00 on them at the store buying them things on thier "wish list", look around, if you can't afford to buy presents this year, you may qualify for being adopted.

shutnmdown 6 years ago

Sorry your wife stuck around to long, I would of said c-ya and took another job, vangent hiring. waiting on a paycheck is like clicking your heels and saying there is no place like home. Shoot maybe I should put my hardships out their and get pitty, but i just pick up where I left off. Karma is my friend and should be yours too. One time is too many. Don't let yourself be fooled anymore. keep your heads up and move on, holding this baggage is doing nothing for you. Thank the man above for all the strength he has given your family to get through all this. Tell your wife, don't ever go on someone's word. Word pretty much is nothing now a days. Your motto should now be "Do it then talk about it." Peace

coolmom 6 years ago

feel sorry for this family in a way but depending on what you spent the business card for personal expenses is a felony. was she fired instead of being arrested? it is hard to believe the word of someone who stole. if that is not the case then by all means get legal help and best wishes to the children involved.

Mom2B 5 years, 9 months ago