LJWorld.com weblogs 1lessNDN

I'M GOING HUNGRY

Its thursday January 28th 8:41pm.

I'm hungry. For compassion.

The Cheyanne River Tribe in South Dakota has been declared a state of emergency due to the subzero temperatures and snow storms since november right up until tonight. It is the poorest community in the U.S. and now it is without any means of electricity, heat and drinking water.

And there is more snow on the way tomorrow.

Celebrities are tripping themselves to pour efforts into Haiti, while america's indigenous people are freezing to death right now.

I have no money. I have no means of bringing them what they may need to survive.

The one and only time I went to Pine Ridge was for a prayer meeting. I wasnt shocked by the destitute conditions, I was given food and a warm welcome. I wasnt disgusted or ashamed of my people, I was recognized, respected and prayed for. I had never met any of those people in my life but it felt like home. There was laughter, there was honesty, there was unity amongst old and young, it was church and warmth and happiness and everything good, all jam packed into a tiny trailor. I've never felt closer to Creator in my entire life.

I'm giving back to my people, those people tonight. And I'm vowing to not eat another meal until their conditions are addressed. Some people walk around saying, they'd die for what they believe in. And this is all I can give right now, my word. This is the only thing I can think of that might change something for these people. Its long over due.

Its scary to think about what might come of this. But I'm tired of the guilt I feel when I eat, knowing my native people are suffering. I'm tired of pretending that just because I'm not there, its not happening. I'm disheartened that so many of my brothers and sisters are in the military services, serving a country that ignores the situations on the reservations.

I have nothing to give BUT my self now. Something has got to give. Something has to spark this change.

I'm hungry. or so I thought....

Comments

Rainydaze49 4 years, 10 months ago

For further information: Joe Brings Plenty, Tribal Chairman (605) 964-4155 Leo Fischer, Tri-County/Mni Waste Water System (605) 365-6940 Natalie Stites, Public Information Officer, Incident Command System (715) 896-0158, Natalie.stites@gmail.com Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Incident Command System

They can best direct exactly what is needed. Thank you for your interest and concern.

AnnaUndercover 4 years, 10 months ago

I recognize the situation you describe is extreme, but hurting yourself is also extreme.

I want to help, but please, at what point will you verify that you are eating again?

gilly 4 years, 10 months ago

Here's the link for the HuffingtonPost article on the emergency: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/27/south-dakota-sioux-tribe_n_438827.html

No online donations have been set up.

There's a snail-mail address for donations in that article, and this is it:

Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe/2010 Disaster Account Cheyenne River Sioux Tribal Chairman's Office Attn: Ice Storm Emergency Fund PO Box 590 2001 Main Street (Tribal Offices) Eagle Butte, SD 57625

There's been almost no news posted about the emergency; thank you, Rainydaze49.

alm77 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't know what it takes to get this discussion into the "Most Discussed", but here's a comment for you.

Also, are you close enough to this situation that you could set up an online donation account? It's a pretty easy thing to do. We did the text donation to Haiti and I don't see any reason we couldn't do the same for this cause.

Rainydaze49 4 years, 10 months ago

Anna, Its no different than what those people are going through in South Dakota. I've had some serious discussions with some people and it sounds like there are some efforts being made (Walmart, SD national guard, etc) and that is fantastic. I'm thinking of doing something more organized and public, like asking other people to get involved in this hunger strike and doing a documentary about it as well.

Gilly-Thank you very much for your own research and consideration. I for one appreciate it beyond words. =)

LarryNative- Goodness. Aint it the truth. smirk

alm77- How would one go about that? I'd love to learn.

Mariposa 4 years, 10 months ago

You can go here to find the full news story and a list of what they need.