Precipitation Totals for Lawrence Municipal Airport (March 6)
March to date: 0.14"
2014 to date: 1.70"
- Tornado sirens tested Tuesday
- March 3, 2014
- When you hear the sirens tomorrow, don’t worry: It’s only a drill.
- Lawrence roads expected to be in good shape Monday as temperatures drop
- March 2, 2014
- With the winter storm warning and all its snow in the past, Lawrence now must endure frigid temperatures, with wind-chill values falling as low as negative 19 degrees on Monday.
- Winter storm arrives in Lawrence; two killed in auto accident
- March 1, 2014
- A large winter storm moved into Lawrence last night that is expected to bring up to 8 inches of snow and sleet by early Monday.
- CLOSINGS and modified hours March 2-3
- 05:24 p.m., February 28, 2014 Updated 03:12 p.m.
- Districts in Baldwin City, Tonganoxie and Basehor-Linwood are among schools that have canceled Monday classes because of extreme cold temperatures and dangerous road conditions. See other weather-related closings for March 2-3.
- Where’s the snow? Forecast downgraded to 1 to 3 inches
- 10:39 a.m., February 27, 2014 Updated 10:01 a.m.
- Douglas County remains under a winter storm warning until 6 p.m. today, but the National Weather Service in Topeka has downgraded the snow forecast to an additional 1 to 3 inches. That compares with up to 8 inches NWS had predicted Saturday afternoon.
- Wind advisory issued for Thursday for Douglas County
- February 19, 2014
- The National Weather Service issued a wind advisory for Thursday beginning at 6 a.m. lasting until 6 p.m..
- Late planting season, early freeze could spell trouble for wheat crop
- February 17, 2014
- The late harvest for corn and soybeans last fall pushed back the planting season for winter wheat, which usually happens by early October but this year stretched into November. Freezing temperatures then showed up before many of the plants had begun to germinate. By Giles Bruce
- No snowmageddon in Lawrence this week; in fact, the opposite
- February 9, 2014
- Snow flurries will whiten Douglas County skies into Sunday night, but don’t hunker down for another record snow just yet.
- Slight chance of snow, freezing drizzle in Lawrence today
- February 7, 2014
- The National Weather Service forecast a slight chance of flurries today and freezing drizzle tonight. The bitter cold also continues with a high of 17 degrees and a low of 13 degrees.
- Brownback: Kansas weathers storm, cold to follow
- February 6, 2014
- State officials said the snowstorm that dropped more than a foot of snow in some areas of Kansas could have been “considerably worse,” praising the public and emergency management response while warning residents Thursday that cold temperatures still pose a threat.