Precipitation Totals for Lawrence Municipal Airport (February 19)
June to date: 0.84"
2013 to date: 1.80"
- Flash flood warning issued for Douglas, Franklin counties
- 04:00 p.m., June 18, 2013 Updated 08:16 p.m.
- The National Weather Service issued a severe thunderstorm warning for southwestern Douglas County and surrounding areas, until 4:30 p.m.
- Thunderstorms moving through Jefferson and Douglas counties
- June 15, 2013
- Strong thunderstorms are expected to move across portions of southeastern Jefferson and Douglas Counties Saturday afternoon.
- Recent storms put this year’s precipitation totals above average
- June 3, 2013
- Rain is a good thing, especially here in Kansas — and especially following a 2012 farming season where a lack of rain was the biggest story. So this week’s downpour is a welcome sign for local farmers. By Nicole Wentling and Shaun Hittle
- Oklahoma City area hit by another deadly tornado
- 07:43 p.m., May 31, 2013 Updated 12:01 a.m.
- Tornadoes rolled in from the prairie and slammed Oklahoma City and its suburbs, trapping people in their vehicles as a storm swept down an interstate highway while commuters tried to beat it home.
- KU students help with tornado relief effort in Oklahoma
- May 30, 2013
- Like many people after last week’s devastating tornado in Moore, Okla., Morgan Hines had an urge to help. And she was determined to follow through with it. Hines, who recently finished her junior year at Kansas University, used some connections she had in the Oklahoma City area to organize a relief trip for herself and fellow members of Douglas County Young Life, a local Christian outreach ministry for area youth. By Giles Bruce
- Potential severe weather heading to northeast Kansas Wednesday and Thursday
- May 29, 2013
- Severe weather is forecast to hit the northeast Kansas area Wednesday evening, while another band of storms could strike Thursday, according to the National Weather Service. By Shaun Hittle
- Tornadoes hit northern Kansas for second day
- 04:28 p.m., May 28, 2013 Updated 11:47 p.m.
- Powerful storms that dropped tornadoes and hail pounded parts of northern Kansas on Tuesday, a second straight day of violent weather in the region.
- Tornado watch issued; more rain and storms expected during next couple of days
- 12:31 p.m., May 28, 2013 Updated 02:28 p.m.
- After a rainy Memorial Day, more storms are expected during the next few days. By Shaun Hittle
- Crews race to find survivors of Oklahoma twister
- 05:24 p.m., May 20, 2013 Updated 01:59 p.m.
- Emergency crews searched the broken remnants of an Oklahoma City suburb Tuesday for survivors of a massive tornado that flattened homes and demolished an elementary school. At least 24 people were killed, including at least nine children, and those numbers were expected to climb. The state medical examiner’s office cut the estimated death toll by more than half but warned that the number was likely to climb again. Gov. Mary Fallin said authorities did not know how many people were still missing, but they vowed to account for every resident. The Associated Press
- Tornado watch issued for Franklin County; hazardous weather possible for Lawrence
- May 20, 2013
- The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch, effective until 10 p.m., for Franklin and Johnson counties, south and east of Douglas County. Douglas County is under a Hazardous Weather Outlook for this evening, but the more severe storms with potential hail, damaging winds and isolated tornadoes are expected south of Interstate 35. By Shaun Hittle