Famous Union Pacific steam engine passes through Lawrence

By Mike Yoder · October 13, 2012 · 16 Comments

A bit of history chugged through Lawrence Saturday, as the Union Pacific Railroad's steam locomotive No. 844 made its way east.

Comments

Richard Ballard 2 years, 2 months ago

Now you tell me!!

I read in the JW it was coming the other day, but plum foregot about it by now.

Too bad there wasn't another more timely reminder in this mornings paper.

I did get to hear the steam whistle though, from the other side of the river!

rcmodel

Jeff Cuttell 2 years, 2 months ago

Midland Railway is getting that dinner train from Nebraska. I would be good to read updates on that also.Any upcoming stories on that and their Halloween Train that they are advertising?

purplesage 2 years, 2 months ago

Didn't see anything on it earlier in the week; disappointed that it wasn't mentioned before the fact. Still recovering from having endured KPR's fundraising while trying to listen to CarTalk. Occurs to me that things like this could be mentioned by other media outlets than the paper as well.

reallyoldreader 2 years, 2 months ago

So did we. American trains are notorious for arriving late, so we really didn't expect this to come so early.

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 2 months ago

It was great fun listening to the engineer "play" the steam whistle as he drove through Lawrence. Talk about a "lonesome sound"!

riverdrifter 2 years, 2 months ago

The 844 is lightning fast. UP train dispatchers hate the damn thing for that very reason.

RadarC 2 years, 2 months ago

Just a FYI: Per schedule at http://www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/steam/details.shtml it looks like it will be in KCMO until Monday morning's departure about 7 am. The address is 30 W Pershing Rd, which is Union Station. Then it makes it way south through Paola and Moran KS on its way to Texas.

tbaker 2 years, 2 months ago

Awesome. I love trains / steam engines. Sad I missed it. I saw 844 go by once in my 20's.

twinetowngirl 2 years, 2 months ago

I had no idea this was coming thru. Living 1 block away from the tracks, and having the windows open, the whistle scared the heck out of me!! Looked out the window and could sure see the steam. Much different sound than the regular train that we have grown used to, but alas is still annoying.

John Hamm 2 years, 2 months ago

Day late and a Dollar short - thanks LJW

riverdrifter 2 years, 2 months ago

They gave the time they were given by the UP. I suggested 11:15 and they even beat that. No whining.

jayhawk_93 2 years, 2 months ago

I love how the LJW is supposed to be people's personal secretary and not only tell them when things are going to happen, but then remind them as well. A simple google search using the information the LJW provided on Monday would have revealed the same link RadarC posted. From the page that link goes to is a link to a GPS map giving exact time and location of the train. This would have let you know it was running ahead of schedule.

What a bunch of whiners!

E-mail to a friend