KU students' flash mob raises awareness of UN program

By Mike Yoder · April 11, 2012 · Comment on this

KU journalism students held a flash mob to raise awareness of the United Nation's "Future That We Want" program.

Comments

catherine99 2 years, 8 months ago

no offence...but this doesn't really qualify as a flash mob, does it?

lawrencebluesky 2 years, 8 months ago

I participated in the flash mob yesterday. The first part of the flash mob where the participants surprised the crowd is not included in this video.

Shane Garrett 2 years, 8 months ago

The future that you want is the future that YOU make. So be givers and not takers!

Raphael 2 years, 8 months ago

Is this really a flashmob? Or just a drum circle?

tbaker 2 years, 8 months ago

Just once I would like to see a self-sufficiency parade, or an individual liberty flash mob, or a “here is how the government can help empower individual citizens to be successful in life all by themselves” seminar. How about a free class on man’s right to exist for his own sake? Why do the idealistic altruists looking to steal the fruits of other people’s labor always make the news? Liberty thieves….

tomatogrower 2 years, 8 months ago

Oh yeah. All that stupid human rights stuff. And who needs clean environment and clean water? And who needs no stinkin' education? And we all need war. How else are we going to get rich with our investments? All worthless causes.

Shane Garrett 2 years, 8 months ago

I want to say something about teaching a man to fish... but, instead will use an example on NPR this morning. Several water purification stations were built in Haiti, to combat cholera. This were built by a non-profit organization. Two year later, these stations are no longer working for lack of... one station needs a pipe; one station needs two batteries and some pump parts. So the local people are drinking from the infected river. With that said, I could not help but think of the pipe found in Lawrence several years ago. It was made of two halves of a log hollowed out and lashed together. It was found down by the river area. When people learn to be self-sufficient and use the brains that they were given, it seems we could all benefit.

funkdog1 2 years, 8 months ago

They need to have a flash mob to bring awareness to the fact that their chosen field is dying.

dsplawrence 2 years, 8 months ago

"Like, yah, let's create awareness for a cause that we only care about insofar as it will bring attention to us, because we're a bunch of cloying, cliched, condescending white liberal college students who use idiotic fads like flash mobs' as a ploy to make people think we care about others, when really, our narcicism and our urge to scream 'LOOK AT MEEE, AREN'T I SPECIAL AND CREATIVE?' is the sole reason we do anything! It's a good thing the world has informed, lily-white college kids like us to let the world know how bad things are. Likeyahlikeyahlikeyah.'

thin_mint 2 years, 8 months ago

RRRR! me no like college students..me no like KU..me live in college town and hate my own existence...RRR!!!!! stomp stomp....me green with envy for reasons all my own...RRR!!!!

dsplawrence 2 years, 8 months ago

What is there to be jealous of? A bunch of naive idiots who lack the historical perspective that would make them realize that these sorts of non-sequitur theatrics will make absolutely no difference in affecting change for a cause that they supposedly care about? Or maybe I should be jealous because I am not some clone who wanders around Lawrence with a tacky Jayhawk logo on every part of my clothing every single day. Yeah, you really got me.

E-mail to a friend