Giving up the (water) bottle

By Nick Krug · November 2, 2011 · Comment on this

Representatives from Think Outside the Bottle, spent part of the afternoon Wednesday talking with local residents about how 44 percent of bottled water comes from public water sources.

Comments

walkthehawk 3 years, 1 month ago

I try to avoid bottled water, but I think it has to be said--the taste of Lawrence's city water is pretty iffy for much of the year, and downright disgusting whenever there's an algal bloom. Add to that the information we have about atrazine contamination and the lack of local testing and treatment, and you have the rationale for our family's use of a filter for all of our drinking water. I wish we didn't have to--I grew up in the mountains where water tastes like water right out of the tap. I get that bottled water is just filtered municipal water, at least when purchased from PepsiCo--but it doesn't resemble OUR city water, and that's a good thing.

When downstream water quality is taken as seriously as upstream profits, I'll join the tap-water-only campaign. Until then, perhaps we could direct our attention to agricultural runoff and other issues that cause water quality problems in the first place.

Pete_Schweti 3 years, 1 month ago

Agreed. If our water didn't taste like A55, I would drink it in lieu of bottled water. I need to bite the bullet and buy a filter, but the last time I did that, cartridges in less than a year no longer available for it. Still though, I'm sure it's cheaper (and more environmentally responsible) to filter our own. Well, save for the manufacturing pollution created making filters that will be worthless when the next model becomes popular...

Dispersant 3 years, 1 month ago

That's not necessarily true. The one I use is about ten years old. I just got new cartridges a few months ago that fit. Maybe the packaging isn't the same? I guess it could be a different brand you're buying? I use Brita. Good luck!

Frederic Gutknecht IV 3 years, 1 month ago

It's painful to think about the ridiculous logistics of herding filtered tapwater into bottles and driving it to market. That's just crazy. Do it at home.

ThePilgrim 3 years, 1 month ago

Lawrence water is not so bad when you run it through a Brita filter. Much better than the "sewer known as Wichita"'s water. "I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board"...

Lawrence Morgan 3 years, 1 month ago

The real problem is the plastic. It's now in the oceans in small pieces everywhere; fish are eating it, and then people eat the fish.

Take a look and see it for yourself:

mcontrary 3 years, 1 month ago

Thank goodness for bottled water no matter the source. Before bottled water, there was often no way or nowhere to find any kind of non-pop, non-beer beverages away from home. Not everyone has access to water durring their day except for bottled water. Carrying a pitcher, thermos or cooler with water is impractical for many. Every bottle of water consumed is one less bottle of soda. There are huge numbers of soda bottles sold, many more than water and sodas are not what anyone should be consuming. Enough with the bottled water criticisms and start nagging at soda bottles. Are the soft drink manufacturers lobbying too effectively for anyone to jump on them? Charge a deposit on every plastic beverage bottle form any source, but don't deprive people of bottled water.

Dispersant 3 years, 1 month ago

I carry around a stainless steel water container everywhere I go. It's no hassle. What's the difference between that and a plastic bottle (as far as lugging around)? I fill it with filtered water before I leave the house. Usually I can find filtered water most places I go. (Friends' places, etc.) If I can't find filtered I'll just refill with tap.

I agree with the soda issue. We should go back to glass.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 3 years, 1 month ago

"Thank goodness for bottled water(,) no matter the source." Seriously? No. I didn't think so. Seriously? No. That's crazy talk.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 3 years, 1 month ago

Being anti-soda does not validate bottled water.

E-mail to a friend