Pedestrian hit by vehicle in Lawrence, flown to Kansas City hospital

By Joe Preiner · February 5, 2011 · Comment on this

A pedestrian crossing 23rd Street near Iowa Street was struck by at least one vehicle, according to police. The patient was flown to a Kansas City area hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Related story

Comments

Randall Barnes 3 years, 8 months ago

Jamminalive 3 years, 8 months ago

Well everybody isn't blessed with your intelligence JackRipper, everybody can't be just like you....sorry. Also we don't have to ride a car, and if your not from here then stay out of the convo, if you're from here and don't like it, LEAVE...oh wait do you have money for all that gas? No.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 8 months ago

I think there are probably plenty of people on both sides making unfair assumptions about everyone involved.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 8 months ago

Moderated comments were turned on after that comment was made.

sundancewierdo 3 years, 8 months ago

Did the driver stick around this time? Enquiring minds want to know...

shutterbug 3 years, 8 months ago

Yes....drivers of both vehicles involved were still present when we went past the scene. We came out of a restaurant as the LifeStar helicopter was preparing to land in the Hobby Lobby parking lot. I believe at that time, the victim was already in an ambulance being stabilized for transport.

blindrabbit 3 years, 8 months ago

That intersection is a tough one for pedestrians; streets are very wide, lots of traffic. Compounding this is the fact that 3 of the 4 corners have non-stop right turning lanes; the exception being Eastbound 23 rd. st. turning onto Southbound Iowa St. Maybe no one at fault; just need to be more attentive!

blindrabbit 3 years, 8 months ago

equalaccessprivacy 3 years, 8 months ago

I wish you officious strangers who get up in others' business would please realize how frightening and insulting it is when you aggressively approach people you don't know(and who are perfectly happy never having met you). These days, you have to assume someone who lacks a decent sense of social boundaries is incompetent, a predator, or both. In Lawrence, you'll likely be right. Very few here seem to be rational, aware people with good judgment.

You're interfering with people's freedom of movement and need to get healthy exercise with your offensive Jesus complexes about fixing the world and other people before you fix yourself. I feel horribly harassed--not the object of kind attention-- when strangers bug me. No thanks. We don't want any.

workinghard 3 years, 8 months ago

All the remarks about this intersection being unsafe, I would like to point out this is the same intersection the city says is safe for school children to cross by themselves. Don't forget some mornings can be dark certain times of the year. Is it maybe time to reconsider the busing?

5thgeneration 3 years, 8 months ago

In my opinion........... that is the most dangerous intersection for pedestrians in this town. I wouldn't want to cross there................. and I hope that my kids.......... or any other kiddos never have to cross that span on foot. That's a tricky place even in a car.

pace 3 years, 8 months ago

That is a dangerous intersection for pedestrians. My vote for the most dangerous intersection for cars is the Lecompton turnpike road entrance to Highway 40. It needs a light. I hope the pedestrian that was hit, makes it. I extend my wishes to the person's family and friends.

Tigerfish 3 years, 8 months ago

I clicked on this story this morning (Monday, 2-7) to see if there was an update on this poor man's condition since the first LJW report a day or two ago.

No update, only a dismaying array of petty and irrelevant comments having little, if anything, to do with the fact that a human being was not able to cross a street in Lawrence without being hit by multiple vehicles.

Now - wherever and however he is - he's being hit by the virtual and verbal equivalent of excreta by the online onlookers.

Because of what I have perceived for the past several years as the utter inanity, ignorant self-absorption, and pathetic cognitive simplicity of many of the "reader responses" to news reports on this Comments function, I not only stopped participating in the online blogs, I also greatly reduced my reading of this newspaper.

I feel that the Journal World has allowed itself to be degraded into a paper that might more accurately be named The Idiocracy Times or The Dogpatch Morning News as a consequence of this blog function. Perhaps free speech actually is NOT all it was cracked up to be.

Obviously, corporations must give the people what they want, thus this unfortunate Comments function which, for the most part, creates a poor impression for those outside of Lawrence of what the people who live here must be like. It's truly a shonda for Lawrence's neighbors.

SO - LJW - How IS that person who slipped on the ice after leaving the hamburger stand at 23rd and Iowa and was then hit by a truck and a car doing? Could you update the story on this area of the site, please? The last I read he was in critical condition.

Prayers and thoughts to him and his family. I'm sorry you have to read all the extraneous mind-puke that's attached itself to this story. Including mine, I guess.

E-mail to a friend