Douglas County officials investigate deadly train accident near Lakeview Lake

By Richard Gwin · February 4, 2011 · Comment on this

One person died when a BNSF freight train hit a truck near Lakeview Lake Friday, Feb. 4, 2011.

Related story

Comments

riverdrifter 4 years, 3 months ago

Landbridge doublestack container train. Dash-9 locomotive consist with probably an objective power unit on the rear end for push. Generally a plodding type of train. BNSF must've been detouring from the cutoff, which runs through Ottawa on down to Emporia & then west. I doubt that this train was moving much over 45 mph, but who knows. If a really short train, then it could have been smoking. Tragic accident and sorry for the loss. It's never an easy thing for the train crew, either.

deec 4 years, 3 months ago

When I was in 8th grade we had an assembly where a train guy came to speak about safety. This was back before most intersections had lights or other warning devices. He'd been involved in a fatal accident. I'll never forget this big burly guy fighting back tears as he talked about it.

Lana Christie-Hayes 4 years, 3 months ago

I am so sorry to hear of this horrible tragedy. A young man's life taken so soon. I didn't know him, but do know some of those that are closely effected. May God's love and comfort surround the family, his girlfriend, and all his friends during this very difficult time!! God bless you all and RIP Kyle.

Wendy magillicutty 4 years, 3 months ago

My husband lost friends this way, in their youth. He still won't approach ANY tracks in a hurry, signs or no. My heart goes out to family and friends of every one involved.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 3 months ago

"A 22-year-old man, Kyle Snyder of rural Lecompton, was killed shortly after noon Friday when his vehicle collided with a train in the 1800 block of East 950 Highway, Douglas County Undersheriff Steve Hornberger said.

The cause of the wreck is still under investigation. That crossing doesn’t have a barricade preventing traffic from crossing the track when trains are nearby.

It doesn’t appear that Snyder’s car stalled on the tracks, Hornberger said."

From the KC Star

kperky 4 years, 3 months ago

He was a very caring and thoughtful young man, respectful and honest hearted. Kyle had a good character, he was on a good path for a good life. It must have been a road he was unfamiliar with or the train just caught him by surprise ~ I wonder if the train horn was sounded? Absolutely a terrible terrible tragedy! My prayers are with the family and all the ones that loved him. Rest in peace friend, Jesus is coming back soon!

sr80 4 years, 3 months ago

since i know both that gravel road and the tracks running thru that area.i know you can haul some ass on either one.looks like he was the slower one this time.my condolences to the family and may god bless!

np2010 4 years, 3 months ago

Tragic indeed. Certainly warrants investigation to a train track safety program for high school students and would be something I myself hope to invest some time into in the future. The engineer is a dear friend of mine and I hold him close in my thoughts and my heart as well as the family of the young man.

Lana Christie-Hayes 4 years, 3 months ago

Good point np2010. I hear the engineer is having a really tough time dealing with this as well. God bless him as well as the family.

throttlejockey 4 years, 3 months ago

Kyle may you rest in pease. I can't imagine how his family is feeling. I am so sorry for your loss. As a member of the train crew I have been feeling a great loss also. It is hard to deal with when you see someone die and there was nothing you can do but watch. All train crews want to do is do our job and get home safe. When you are the last person to see some one alive and you know they won''t ever see their family and friends again, no one can imagine what that is like. People don't understand how hard it is for the crews. Everytime someone pulls in front of a train we know we can't stop in time. We lock the brakes on the train and wait for the train to stop, maybe up to a mile. Then get out and do all we can for the victim. I pray that it never happens again but so far this week there have been 3 crossing accidents on this division. PLEASE PLEASE everyone be careful especially in this weather. TRAINS ARE EVERYWHERE

angelica 4 years, 3 months ago

RIP Kyle, You will be greatly missed by so many! I have only known you for a few short months, and in those months was the greatest time i have had on the few trail rides we went on. What i have is wonderful memories, and pictures of us all. For all those impacted by this tragic event, may God hold and cradle you all and comfort you in this time of loss.

E-mail to a friend