Hunting morel mushrooms

By Richard Gwin · April 23, 2011 · Comment on this

LJWorld.com staff photographer Richard Gwin talks about hunting morel mushrooms. This time of year the tasty morsels are thick in the area, he says, and many people are out looking.

Related story

Comments

Ronda Miller 6 years, 1 month ago

I've never tried a morel - I know many people discuss their uniquely different flavor, but I'm not a huge mushroom fan - sometimes I like then raw. I think I need to try differing varieties. I'm sure I'd find some I like. Now I want to go searching for some myself! Thanks, Richard! You make it sound worth the hunt.

riverdrifter 6 years, 1 month ago

I does look like a great year: found 91 yesterday. I sort've cringed when he stepped over that log that way without looking. If in rattlesnake country, good way to invite a strike.

RoeDapple 6 years, 1 month ago

Ya mean them little self propelled protein bits?

RoeDapple 6 years, 1 month ago

T_O_B - I guarantee if you let your friends know you found that many it wouldn't take long for them (the morels) to disappear!

riverdrifter 6 years, 1 month ago

I gave half away to older folks who can no longer beat the bushes for them. Freezing them in water in milk cartons (remember those?) was also a good way to keep'em. 91 is my biggest morel sortie in years. Today I found 6.

RoeDapple 6 years, 1 month ago

Dang it now! These staples come outa my back Monday. By Wednesday I'll be in the woods behind my place huntin' for Morels, a couple of old bread sacks hangin' outa each back pocket! Hope I come home with more than a sore back to show for it!

Shaun Hittle 6 years, 1 month ago

Readers, The best part is that Richard Gwin does this "looking around thing" around the office, despite the hardwood floors and lack of moisture in the office. But, we just let him be. He's a Kansas state treasure.

Shaun Hittle LJW Reporter

irvan moore 6 years, 1 month ago

the ticks are the worst part about hunting mushrooms.

RoeDapple 6 years, 1 month ago

I like 'em floured with a little salt then fried in olive oil

riverdrifter 6 years, 1 month ago

Salt water soak'em for an hour to drive the no-seeums out, dredge in flour, fry in butter until browned. You can egg batter them if desired. I do not, but it's OK.

sandw2010 6 years ago

I use flour, salt, and pepper. Sometimes I add a little seasoned fish fry to spice it up a bit. Then fry in a skillet.

riverdrifter 6 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, right! Today I found 5 but they were yellow giants. These 5 will make a hefty sit-down. I found several others that will be ready in a couple of days. It's close to an oft-travelled path so I drug a couple of downed, good sized tree limbs across it. This will make traffic detour away from the land of the giants. I'll remove the limbs in due time...

Janet FitzGerald 6 years ago

My husband and I found none on Friday evening. It seems too dry. We ran into two guys who said the area was probably already cleaned out. They couldn't find any, either.

Derek Broksieck 6 years, 1 month ago

not over at all..another two weeks or so to go.

fuppet 6 years, 1 month ago

A friend of mine found two of those next to my house.

Dan Thalmann 6 years, 1 month ago

That's it. I'm going looking tomorrow morning with my son. I noticed a couple Facebook friends posted pictures, one with more than I could count!

riverdrifter 6 years ago

A friend and I hit two spots today. The first was a last-minute decision and was not considered to be as good as the second stop. Well, we found 81 there and 5 at the "good" place. That's morel hunting for you! This is the best morel harvest I've seen in many years. Get out and go and remember one thing: they are where you find them.

sandw2010 6 years ago

My husband found 50 yesterday! Most were pretty good size.

E-mail to a friend