Injured dog racking up medical bills

By Mark Boyle · June 1, 2010 · Comment on this

A dog injured in an apartment fire last week is racking up some serious medical bills. The owner is seeking community help in paying for the more than $3,500 the dog's treatment has cost.

Related story

Comments

gatekeeper 3 years, 10 months ago

Just FYI - $3500 isn't that high for this kind of care. My poor dog had to have major surgery earlier this year and then ended up getting pancreatitis because of some meds he was being treated with. I won't even say how much his hospitalization in KC cost us. $3500 isn't too bad considering all the care, dressings and meds this poor dog needs.

If many would give just a little, these vet bills will be covered in no time.

lawdog 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm an animal lover and I'm def going to support Riley or any animal that needs it.

RemarkableOne 3 years, 10 months ago

k-state charges just like any other vet. I am not sure how it compares to local vet costs but this dog probably didn't need to drive an hour and a half before it could seek medical help. K-state does offer amazing services there though.

Kontum1972 3 years, 10 months ago

you should of taken your mutt to k-state, they do have a vet school there and i am sure they would of squared away your Mutt for nothing...it is good OJT for those future vets.

RemarkableOne 3 years, 10 months ago

I hope this dog continues to improve! And yes vet bills are expensive but there is only so much a vet can do at a "discounted" price. This vet in particular has seen several house fire animals over the years which happened to not make the news so we ask why is this one so lucky. Also, this clinic provides discounts to the local Keeshond Lovers rescue group, humane society dogs, takes care of strays that are found (a big choc lab was just rehomed through the clinic after living there for 3 - 4 weeks) and just in Dec./Jan a dog that got hit by a car and was stuck on the side of the road needed surgery that the owners couldn't financially handle and were going to put her down. The doctors at the clinic performed a 2,000 - 3,000 dollar knee surgery for free, housed the dog for months after her surgery, rehomed her at no cost, and now she runs the countryside of Lawrence with her new family. Vet clinics all around town do amazing things for the animals in our community and we should thank them for putting themselves out there.

The vet clinic did around the clock care for the first night Riley was there and over the days after that had to come in after hours in order to take the proper care of the dog. Money is tight for everyone these days and a lot of vet costs isn't the care itself its the supplies that go into it which the clinic can't control the cost of anyways. Second of all thanks to these vets that happened to still be at the animal hospital that late at night could take Riley in so fast even though they aren't Riley's usual vet. Second of all, he is not really a golden retriever but that is beside the point. Riley is alive and walking and it's been less what a week, thats pretty amazing work if you ask me! My question is why isn't the owner of the apartment complex or their insurance paying for the vet bills? Whose fault is the fire and shouldn't this dogs life be covered?

All I care about is that Riley is alive and well. And thats all thanks to a loving owner, dog owners that happened to be on the scene, and some amazing vets. We love you Riley and are all cheering for you!

lawdog 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree the charges are quite expensive for that short of a period. I've been posting this article on FB and myspace friends for additional support. I wish that the vets here in Lawrence would come together in situations like this and donate their time.

christy kennedy 3 years, 10 months ago

I will too. The care must be extensive but $3,500 in just three days seems high.

yankeevet 3 years, 10 months ago

I will donate............hope this dog recovers; very sorry this happened.

lawdog 3 years, 10 months ago

I can only hope that if I ever needed support from the community, they would be there for me. Lawrence is the most giving place I have ever lived and I know there are many others who feel the same. Let us know where we can forward our donations.

lawdog 3 years, 10 months ago

Why don't vets give dog owners a sliding scale fee in incidents like these? I would be willing to contribute an amount towards his bill and I would invite other dog lovers here in Lawrence to do the same.

E-mail to a friend