Vehicle strikes cyclist at 29th and Iowa Streets

By Nick Nelson · April 30, 2010 · Comment on this

A motorist struck a person riding their bicycle Friday morning at 29th and Louisiana Streets.

Comments

Paul Geisler 4 years, 7 months ago

I do hope this cyclist is OK but it looks like they might have been hit pretty bad judging by the position of the bike. Based on the street signs and the businesses pictured in the video, I'd say this is 29th and Iowa, not 23rd & Louisiana Streets.

jpreiner 4 years, 7 months ago

nnelson 4 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for the heads up. We've fixed it.

Nick Nelson LJWorld.com Web Producer

imastinker 4 years, 7 months ago

You may have fixed the title, but the subtitle is still wrong.

CrystalKU 4 years, 7 months ago

The actual article says that the woman was cited for not yielding to the bicyclist who had the right away. She turned into him, it was not his fault. I actually did see someone on a bike get pulled over by the LPD for running a red light at 6th and Kentucky last week, but just the same many motorist tend to get distracted or careless and are unaware of their surroundings.

whats_going_on 4 years, 7 months ago

I'd like more details too. This is why I'm scared sh*tless to ride my bike in town after 7am.

imastinker 4 years, 7 months ago

I would be very curious what happened here. The car seems to be positioned like it was coming out on iowa and the bike tried to cross iowa - but the car could have been turning south onto iowa and the bike crossing in front of the car. Either way, it looks like the bike was breaking traffic laws.

I hope all parties are OK.

boltzmann 4 years, 7 months ago

I don't know what happened, but neither do you. Why automatically blame the bicyclist when you really don't know what happened? There are a number of other possibilities where the car driver would be at fault - they bicyclist could have been going down Iowa and the car turned into them from the side street; or both the car and bike could have been side by side on 29th street and the car turned right without signaling and the bike rider was going straight across. This happens often.

whats_going_on 4 years, 7 months ago

either that or the person in the car just assumed they were okay to turn right onto Iowa without looking for bikes/pedestrians.

LoveThsLife 4 years, 7 months ago

What time it did it happen LJWorld? I was on Iowa earlier today running errands and saw some police lights further down Iowa. I wonder if it was due to this situation.

I hope everyone involved is okay.

When we first moved to Lawrence we came upon an accident where a car hit a bicyclist. There is nothing more disturbing than seeing someone laying in front of a vehicle.

My prayers are with those involved and their loved ones.

E-mail to a friend