Vehicle strikes cyclist at 29th and Iowa Streets

By Nick Nelson · April 30, 2010 · Comment on this

A motorist struck a person riding their bicycle Friday morning at 29th and Louisiana Streets.

Comments

LoveThsLife 3 years, 11 months ago

What time it did it happen LJWorld? I was on Iowa earlier today running errands and saw some police lights further down Iowa. I wonder if it was due to this situation.

I hope everyone involved is okay.

When we first moved to Lawrence we came upon an accident where a car hit a bicyclist. There is nothing more disturbing than seeing someone laying in front of a vehicle.

My prayers are with those involved and their loved ones.

macon47 3 years, 11 months ago

i understamd .. i am scared sh*tless to drive my car in town after 3 pm

whats_going_on 3 years, 11 months ago

either that or the person in the car just assumed they were okay to turn right onto Iowa without looking for bikes/pedestrians.

imastinker 3 years, 11 months ago

I would be very curious what happened here. The car seems to be positioned like it was coming out on iowa and the bike tried to cross iowa - but the car could have been turning south onto iowa and the bike crossing in front of the car. Either way, it looks like the bike was breaking traffic laws.

I hope all parties are OK.

whats_going_on 3 years, 11 months ago

I'd like more details too. This is why I'm scared sh*tless to ride my bike in town after 7am.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 11 months ago

I was hit straight on in the back tire while crossing Rockledge (with the light) on Tuesday evening at 5:30. Driver was turning left off of 6th to the north, trying to beat oncoming traffic. I had the presence of mind to turn away from her front bumper, thereby keeping me from being knocked into next week... never even heard the idiot hit the brakes. Fortunately for the a$$hole driver (who never stopped) I didn't come off the bike, in spite of the fact that I was accelerated to about 15 mph by the contact, and forced into a curb at that speed. Bent my back wheel slightly from the collision...

consumer1 3 years, 11 months ago

I hope it is not the same woman I saw earlier this am riding a bike through a stop light without even looking. I feel badly for both parties. LJW, are there any details ? It is past time to rein in the number of cyclist who disobey traffic laws. Just like it is time to rein in the number of people I see run red lights in their cars/SUV's. (JoCo).

Paul Geisler 3 years, 11 months ago

I do hope this cyclist is OK but it looks like they might have been hit pretty bad judging by the position of the bike. Based on the street signs and the businesses pictured in the video, I'd say this is 29th and Iowa, not 23rd & Louisiana Streets.

E-mail to a friend