Club Axis owner: Bar is being wrongly targeted

By Jesse Fray · March 30, 2009 · Comment on this

A Lawrence bar owner claims his club is being wrongly targeted. Police have connected several violent incidents to Club Axis, including the city's latest shooting.

Related story

Comments

OzChicklet 5 years ago

All bars cater to specific clienteles. When a specific establishment closes for whatever reason, that clientele becomes "nomadic" an looks for a new place to dwell. If Club Axis, or any club for that matter, wishes to discourage this type of clientele, then they must be willing to make the changes necessary to avoid the nomadic dissent, and ignore the extra income. One suggestion: put a few armed security guards in the parking lot for awhile until things calm down...

d_prowess 5 years ago

How old is the owner!? I may just be getting old, but the guy looked about 18!

keeb1211 5 years ago

I must apologize, I said "dive" and I have never entered the Club Axis so I can't really say what kind of establishment it is. I am just frustrated with the recent acts of violence throughout the city and not Club Axis. I hope the city realizes the problem is bigger than one bar/club and that this has been a problem at several places recently.

madmike 5 years ago

God, here we go again with the yellow house crap. Get over it!

tjhoops69 5 years ago

There is a big difference between what you did and what club axis did. You (yellowhouse) has held this completely innocent position since day 1, on everything, however, you lost your credibility with us when we saw the police carrying pot plants out your house. We knew then you were full of $hit. This club Axis t hing is different, there are real people shooting real guns at each other. Yellowhouse gets on here and jacks just about every thread there is...which speaking of, last I knew, you all were under a gag order from the federal court, that included Guy and Carrie and their kids?? Could you be jeopardizing your parents freedom here??

keeb1211 5 years ago

Bar owner thinks these crimes have been blown out of proportion? Someone got shot, I guess that isn't a big deal anymore. I live 3 blocks away from this dive and I am all for pulling his license if his clientele continue to start problems. How many shootings/stabbings have we had at the other bars in the neighborhood within the last 2 years?

Alexander Neighbors 5 years ago

This is the type of targeting that's being done to yellow house store owners, apparently the city claimed it was the largest fencing operation in lawrence but after 4 years 5 months there has been no trial...... this is why I am saying lawrence needs a review board for the police dept. So they think twice about making wild accuzations with no proof in an attempt to shut. Small businesses down

tjhoops69 5 years ago

so "wrongly targeted" implies, that there was no wrongdoing, that there was a miscommunication, or misunderstanding. Is Axis owner saying that there has never been a gun fight there? a knife fight? Im not sure what he is trying to convey here.

jonas_opines 5 years ago

Hey, I've got a great idea! Since it's obvious that doing this at Last Call didn't fix the problem, let's just do it again! It'll seriously work this time!!

couranna1 5 years ago

You are. They are looking for something easy to blame and you are it Hang in there Even LPD will wake up soon Maybe haha

madmike 5 years ago

All bars are subject to fights and the possibility of violence. Alcohol can bring out the worst in people at times.