Police want more officers to carry Tasers

By Jesse Fray · March 2, 2009 · Comment on this

The Lawrence Police Department would like to expand their deployment of Taser guns.

Related story

flux 6 years, 7 months ago

Who needs a tazer when you have arms like that?

Michael Throop 6 years, 7 months ago

I for one would be interested in learning more about "parrotuya"'s interactions with the criminal justice system..obviously,they have been less than fruitful. That said: 1. Tazer is a brand name for stun devices. 2. These devices are NOT guns. 3. The emboldened criminal element fights with the police every opportunity they can. if using a Tazer as a deterrent prevents injury to an officer (and more harm to a suspect), more power to the department and let's get officers trained to use them. I know the weenies at Amnesty International and elsewhere are "troubled" by the use of deterrent weaponry, but,as is the case with equivocators of all stripes, they have no solution to officer safety, save for "talking" or "alternatives" or some such double-blather.They only see problems. If using this device protects one Lawrence police officer from harm,I am all for it. God bless and protect our law enforcement community.

alm77 6 years, 7 months ago

Watch that demo in slo-mo. Those officers are laughing!! Who's the lucky guy they got to demonstrate that?? Their boss?

RaynRavyn 6 years, 7 months ago

Actually, before an officer can carry a tazer, s/he is tazed. Seriously.... At least in the KHP it is that way, can't speak for city or county, but I imagine it might be the same. When they started carrying them, it was for 5 seconds, but last I heard they had dropped it to 1 second. Surely enough to know what is going to happen if you use it, nonetheless. :)

salad 6 years, 7 months ago

Tazer can kill ya too. Happens all the time when cops "feel the need". On the other hand, it does give a cop the opportunity to use the phrase, "Son, am I gonna have to light you up? Don't make me light you up!"

HermioneElliott 6 years, 7 months ago

parrotuya not funny, not funny at all, just another example of how the police are supposed to remain calm and respectful even when they are being verbally attacked. PIG acronym for pride, integrity, guts Ha, ha!!

Fatty_McButterpants 6 years, 7 months ago

On a side note, is it just me...or does that reporter talk funny and look like he's perpetually surprised?

ralphralph 6 years, 7 months ago

They need to take a hard look at procedures for when it is proper to tase someone. Saying it's "always preferable to use non-lethal force" is fine, but Tasers get used in a lot of situations when lethal force would never have been used anyway ... see, e.g., Shawnee County SO killing a guy having a heart attack who wouldn't get in the ambulance, or other instances where the officer is just irritated and zaps the irritator. It's a fine tool for law enforcement, and the study of local test usage sounds encouraging, but there are (sorry, boys in blue) a number of boneheads with a badge out there, that need to be given good training and supervision in the use of this tool.

Eugehne Normandin 6 years, 7 months ago

If I ever go on a crime spree please use tazers instead of guns. do I have to pay a royalty for saying tazer instead of stun gun. maybe the squirrel hunt can use them next year. P.S. I think all the police department should have them. Is there a tazer proof vest available ?

E-mail to a friend