Kids help keep school clean

By Lindsey Slater · August 25, 2009 · Comment on this

After budget cuts saw some school custodians lose their jobs, kids at Sunflower Elementary School are taking on the responsibility. Kids handle tasks such as cleaning desks and picking up trash.

Related story

Michael Stanclift 6 years, 3 months ago

So instead of learning math, they're cleaning up trash? Great training for all the custodial jobs out there... oh, wait.

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 3 months ago

Are you guys serious? The kids are enjoying this. I think it teaches responsibility and how to work together.

Like I state on the arcticle my husband is a custodian in the local school district. He has a job, thankfully. We have a roof over our heads, food in our cabinets, health insurance for our children. And are all around pretty happy.So I really don't see anything wrong with being a custodian.

So what the kids are wiping off their desks, that they use, with disinfectant wipes. So what they are dumping the trash that they help accumulate. Get a grip. Let the kids enjoy their work. Sheesh!!

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 3 months ago

You people crack me up. I don't see how wiping off their desks and dumping the trash is such an awful thing. Get a grip. I say you go ask the kids what they think, buena. Looks like they're enjoying to me. I know at my daughter's school they have wiping off their desks since she was in kindergarten. Way before all the job losses. And everytime I was there the kids were excited to help. So what are you saying? Don't teach them how to clean up after themselves. My children have chores around the house, am I wrong b/c I teach them some responsibility?

avoice 6 years, 3 months ago

The comments here are reflective of attitudes in the U.S. today. Our children are "too good" to clean desks, windows, even their rooms. Don't you people realize that failing to teach your children to take care of their homes, their clothes, their workspaces, is just as negligent on the part of a parent as failing to make sure your child learns to read and write? Not everyone is going to be fortunate enough to have someone around to cook and clean for them. Teach these children to be self-sufficient and self-responsible. For Pete's Sake!

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 3 months ago

buena - so now your talking about my kids. sad, sad, sad. especially since they can't defend themselves. and you wonder what the problem is. hmmmmm!!!

BMI 6 years, 3 months ago

Careful now Buena. Readers may accuse you of wearing stilettos and selling Mary Kay on the Westside.

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 3 months ago

Not afraid he's going loss his job, but guess what, if he does then thats what was meant to be. We don't have control. And we will just move on.

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 3 months ago

Because of a few comments on here you have no idea of my mind-set, so don't judge me. This all started b/c a few kids are helping to take care of their school. Now a few of you are bashing me. When you have walked a day in my shoes and my husbands, then you might know how I feel. He does the job he is supposed to and probably above and beyond. If they wanted to get rid of him they would and we would of moved on. Thank you.

Amy Bartle 6 years, 3 months ago

Helping keep the classroom tidy is nothing new to anyone who has gone to a Montessori school. At Raintree, the kids share the work of keeping the classroom tidy. This includes sweeping, which consists of running a non-electric sweeper over the carpeted areas and using a broom and dustpan on the decks and tiled floor. Even 3 and 4 year olds can do this if the broom or sweeper is small enough for their size. The trash gets bundled up and taken out by the kids or teacher a the end of the day, it's just tossed in the dumpster on the way to the car if it's the end of the day. And a new trash bag is put in place of the old one. The kids also assist with snack and lunch prep - sometimes cutting their own bread or dividing the bulk food into individual serving sizes. The children are expected to keep their own work areas clean also and put all materials that are used back where they belong. It's a great way to encourage independence, pride in tidiness, and community spirit by helping each other. For the younger kids, they sing a little clean up song while doing the chore. These activities are not separate from the learning - they are incorporated into the day. It's instilled a sense of purposefulness in my kids who to this day like to sweep and even like to shovel snow on our driveway.

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 3 months ago

multi - thank you. and yes i agree if they could use cleaners that are better for them, amen. that means my hubby wouldn't be affected by so many. i actually try to use as many in my home as possible. i never thought it would come down all the bashing......what a minute it's ljw comments, haha. the people who do what i do understand where i'm coming from and i really don't think a little cleaning will hurt anyone.

sunflower - agreed. i pull some montessori principles into my home facility, but some of the things i still do.

Alexander Neighbors 6 years, 3 months ago

they will have more respect for their school if they must participate in cleaning it.

jogger 6 years, 3 months ago

Why am I commenting on this?

Of course kids should keep their work area clean. Its a good part of a good routine. Has there been such pressure on schools that non testable issues like stewardship and citizenship have been neglected? Yes. Is there such a health scare that school cleanliness is a crisis? Yes. ( see my wescoe comment - different world, but just as germy)

But - no- alarmist LJW headlines prompted this comment.

Context missing, this story is just lame.

E-mail to a friend