More roundabouts planned for the city

By Lindsey Slater · September 28, 2008 · Comment on this

If you've driven in Lawrence lately, you've noticed those curving, single-lane features before. And, love them or loathe them, more roundabouts are on the way.

Related story

Comments

BaxterC 6 years, 2 months ago

and I plan on hitting every single one of them.

justthefacts 6 years, 2 months ago

How much does a stop SIGN cost?If you go to big cities or small, across the nation, you will not find round-abouts as the latest and greatest. We are paying someone's brother-in-law a lot of money, mark my word. A 4 way stop sign will do the same thing, or close to it, for far less money. Slow up traffic, but not stop it for too long.

VanillaGorilla 6 years, 2 months ago

Did I miss something, I thought there were budget issues?

alm77 6 years, 2 months ago

I love the round-a-bouts!! The price tag? not lovin' that!!

Romary 6 years, 2 months ago

Ragingbear,According to the story, roundabouts only cost 50k and stop lights cost 200k.

Ragingbear 6 years, 2 months ago

We should arrange protest against these money pit monstrosities. I tried to drive down a road the other day that should have only taken me 5 minutes, but due to the fact that there was a roundabout ever 50 yards or so, it took me almost 15. It was insane, as it was a residential neighborhood with very low traffic.BTW- A single roundabout will run an average of $500,000 a piece. Yes, that is a half million dollars per roundabout. Keep in mind that the city wouldn't know how to properly build a roundabout anyways.

Ragingbear 6 years, 2 months ago

Yeah. Slowing me down in a place where traffic is not an issue. That's like having a stop sign without any sort of intersection.And yes, they cost $500k, as was evidenced over the newspaper articles about roundabouts for the last few years.

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm dizzy, let me off this ride. No more roundabouts!!!!!

alm77 6 years, 2 months ago

rage - slowing you down is the point.

BigPrune 6 years, 2 months ago

I guess we know where our money will be going if we pass this sales tax. Roundabouts cost as much as stop lights. The guy who said they only cost $50,000 is full of it. He forgot the engineering expense, the storm water drain pipes - typical politician, I mean employee of the taxpayer. He can't wait for that sales tax to pass. Let's have a final figure on the 19th & Barker roundabout- wasn't it $700,000?Vote No! to all 3.These Progressive policies are the VERY reason why Lawrence sucks the money out of your pocket today. Remember when raised medians separated Iowa Street? Then they ripped them out, now they talk about putting them back in. Then there is that frontage road that the City had to have.everywhere Then they did away with those, now there is talk about bringing frontage roads back again. It's a fad and it lets the City employee justify his or her job.Big City items - like a bus nobody rides, expensive roundabouts - just like the big city. All promoted by people who want Lawrence to remain small. Why doesn't the City have any money these days?

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 2 months ago

"I tried to drive down a road the other day that should have only taken me 5 minutes, but due to the fact that there was a roundabout ever 50 yards or so, it took me almost 15. It was insane, as it was a residential neighborhood with very low traffic."Which specific road has roundabouts every 50 yards? If it takes you that long then you aren't using them correctly. With roundabouts, there's no need to come to a complete stop if the traffic conditions permit. You said there was very low traffic, so I'm guessing that there may be driver error on your part.

E-mail to a friend