Stores see decline in CD sales

By Jesse Fray · November 6, 2008 · Comment on this

Sales of new CDs have been plummeting for years, thanks in large part to the popularity of the iPod. The battle between the compact disc and the iPod is impacting Lawrence CD stores in more ways than one.

Related story

Comments

nut_case 5 years, 9 months ago

"I'm sorry, but there's just no way you can convince me that a medium that distorts the artist's intended sound is in any way superior to anything."Have you heard of vacuum tube amplifiers? These are considered the ultimate 'top end' amp with claims of 'richness', 'depth' and 'life' added to the music, where a modern digital amp is usually considered 'flat' and 'lifeless'. In reality, all these claims of the vacuum tube amp can be labeled with another name, too....distortion. It may be pleasant distortion, but still distortion.I guess it helps to look at music the same as a digital picture...yes, you can always have perfect lighting, perfect contrast/brightness, and razor sharp focus. But every now and then, it's fun to take a picture by candle light, throw in some shadows and a little soft focus.Looks like CD's are headed the way of 8 track and cassettes before them. Frankly, I'm surprised they have held on so long.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

Still paying for my content, often in the form of CDs in addition to any of the electronic copies ( for which I also pay ) . Rather have those higher quality renderings, and downsample, myself.

gccs14r 5 years, 9 months ago

I don't know how anyone listens to mp3s. CDs are bad enough.

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

Ummm. . . duh. That's because they'll be simply gone within a decade, save for us old farts who still have a couple lying around from the good ol' days.

JoRight 5 years, 9 months ago

Indeed jonas. . .the headline should read "Stores see decline in CD sales & we've landed on the moon" with a clip from dumb and dumber.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm sorry, but there's just no way you can convince me that a medium that distorts the artist's intended sound is in any way superior to anything. If you're over, say, 30 I can see you liking vinyl either a) out of some nostalgic reason, or b) since you were raised on it, it's the "norm" for your listening sensibility. If you're younger than that, your "love" of vinyl is an irritating affectation. You might as well declare that's it's all been downhill since they got rid of wax cylinders. Or wear a monocle, or a tail. I straddle that age line. I remember the first time I heard a CD. I was maybe 11 or 12, and it was some sort of remastered Beach Boys album. My first thought was "My God, how did we not know how much records sucked?" I have not changed my opinion.

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

gccs14r (Anonymous) says:"I don't know how anyone listens to mp3s. CDs are bad enough."SMe (Anonymous) says:"CD sales are down. No big surprise look at the trash being considered "Music." Then consider the terrible mastering and compression 'cause "I want my song to sound louder that her song.""Yargh! Gittoff my lawn!

SMe 5 years, 9 months ago

CD sales are down. No big surprise look at the trash being considered "Music." Then consider the terrible mastering and compression 'cause "I want my song to sound louder that her song."Interesting article in the new Stereophile. Shows a spectrum analysis of a snippet of sound from the original master tape with response above 20K, same snippets from vinyl with response above 20K and CD no response above 20K.Always thought it was funny how a CD with the same artist expenses but less material and packaging cost more than a vinyl pressing.Remember, "Perfect sound forever." Oh, yea I forgot the thin layer of reflective film can (and does) breakdown and separate.

flux 5 years, 9 months ago

Thats what happens when you gouge the consumers with high prices

elipse575 5 years, 9 months ago

CD sales may be going down, but look into the resurgence of vinyl. Record sales have been going up for several years. Record pressing plants are back logged by all the new artists looking to release their work on vinyl. More people are coming to value the better quality of sound that records hold.

E-mail to a friend