Teacher bonds with struggling student

By Lindsey Slater · November 2, 2008 · Comment on this

Some teachers make a lasting impression on students and parents. For one Lawrence family going through a difficult time, those educators are at New York Elementary School.

Related story

Comments

renzwa 5 years, 4 months ago

we met Jim when he was a young man in Butte Montana...then both families moved to Phoenix, Az., there we gave Jim his first job at Skaggs Drugs and we always have kept in touch...we are not surprized at the article as he has always been a dedicated person in his life and profession...we are proud of him....

Anna47 5 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Rome also had a huge impact on my life as a student. He was incredibly creative, involved in the students lives and cared about each one individually. In third grade, he made a rainforest in our classroom that took up the entire room. It was this huge "bubble" that we got to sit inside to do our work as a reward. I have many, many, fond memories of Mr. Rome at D.C.C.S. Thanks!Anna (Forman) Leavitt

Alisha80 5 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Rome was a school teacher of mine and has been the best teacher I have ever had. He is so creative in the classroom and inspired me to learn. My best memories of grade school are from this teacher's classroom. I wish he could be a teacher for my children. Thanks for all you do and have done for our family,Alisha (Forman) Stinemetz

Ralph Reed 5 years, 5 months ago

Buggie7 (Anonymous) writes:"Is there a place to be able to help if needed for the holidays? Specifically for this family?"**You might also contact Big Brothers and Big Sisters. They have a waiting list of kids year round. I know some Big Brothers and Big Sisters who have developed life-long relationships through the program.**Tim_Forman (Anonymous) writes:"Jim was an amazing teacher for my family. He has been a wonderful teacher for so many years in Lawrence. Thank you, Jim."*Hear, Hear!Like you Tim, we've know Jim for many years. He has helped many children and families over the years. In my opinion he's a shoe-in for teacher of the year.

Tim_Forman 5 years, 5 months ago

LadyWolf 5 years, 5 months ago

Bugie7You could probably contact the school...New York Elementary. The social worker there would be able to help you. That is a generous thought you have...and the perfect time of year.

Buggie7 5 years, 5 months ago

I really applaud this teacher and the work that he has done as well as other Douglas County area teachers. However, I can't help but wonder how the kids feel about having their personal struggles and information about their father and the issues with him plastered all over the news and the Journal World. I'm just hoping the good intentions do not backfire for him and his siblings due to the fact that some kids out there whether we want to recognize it or not can be really cruel. I am hoping this time it will be different. Good luck in your families future and may it be bright. Is there a place to be able to help if needed for the holidays? Specifically for this family?

E-mail to a friend