Cyclists left with questions in wake of accident

By Jesse Fray · June 30, 2008 · Comment on this

The accident that claimed the life of Lt. David Dillon on Saturday occured on a stretch of road generally considered safe.

Related story

Comments

Jaylee 5 years, 9 months ago

personally i feel safer on a country highway road than in the city most times. there's less traffic therefore youre more easily spotted and the driver has less distractions occuring in view that would prevent them from seeing a cyclist on the road. there is far less turning and unpredictable actions coming from the cyclist AND the driver. country people are usually a LITTLE more accepting of sharing the road in my experience. i dunno, i just feel safer.and as for "not seeing a biker on the road", i am 6'2" standing and taller than that on my bike. taller than most cars. if you cant see me, you scare me.

radaray58 5 years, 9 months ago

I do agree that this appears to be simple inattentiveness on the part of the driver, who probably had no ill will toward the cyclist. You gotta feel sorry for both the family of the officer and the driver, who probably feels awful and will have to live with this for the rest of his life.When you read all the comments on discussions such as this, it is apparent that there are rude people on both sides of the issue. I always ride right and wave after a car has to slow down and wait behind me going up a hill for instance. But I've gotten plenty of horns, or been passed with very little breathing space. I've also seen plenty of cyclists that seem to feel like they own the road, especially if they are in a group. These are often athletic, experienced cyclists who seem to think they are justified holding up traffic on a fast two lane just because they are "pros". They give the sport of cycling a bad name in the general community and the rest of us should call them out on their behavior when we see it. There is no reason we can't share the road.

SloMo 5 years, 9 months ago

I agree that bicyclists should keep to the right, except when they are at an intersection - then I think they need to move into the middle of the lane and take their own full turn going through the intersection. How else can a bicyclist avoid being hit by someone turning right?

whoswho 5 years, 9 months ago

People have opinions and they all should be respected if given in the correct mannor. Everyone needs to just sit back and take a hard look at how things are being said. For family of both sides of this fence is a horrible ordeal. And this includes friends. So when posting opinions I hope everyone remembers how hard his is for them. No one knows for sure what has happened, but please be mindfull of other peoples feelings.

HJohn 5 years, 9 months ago

Under the laws of the State of Kansas (and all others) a bicycle is a vehicle, and can use the roads of the state, just like any other vehicle, with the caveat, that they either must maintain the same speed as the traffic, or in instances where they can't maintain the minimum speed, stay as far right as practicle. In which case cars are to give 4 feet of space, minumum. Doesn't matter if drivers are driving faster, in a van, etc. Cyclists are to obey all traffic laws, period, as are the drivers of cars, trucks, vans, motorcycles. And for all the people who point out bad behaviour of cyclists, there are a far greater number of cars, not making complete stops at stop signs, not making full stops at "right turns on red", not signalling turns, speeding, etc. You know it and I know it. I see it everyday.But in this case, no matter who was at fault, Lt. Dillon lost his life. For this I am sorry. For the dirver, who will have to live with the images in his mind, I am also sorry. Most car/bike accidents or for that matter most accidents, happen because of inattentiveness, either on the part of one operator or the other. In this day and age of continuous distraction, by cel phone, eating in the car, putting on make-up, reading, whatever. People need to pay attention to the road and their surroundings. This accident could have easily been 2 cars, a pedsetrian, a motorcycle, or a deer. If you don't pay attention, you can't see to stop or avoid the accident. This was not about bikes on a one way road in a park, or coming off a bike trail skipping a yield sign, or a pack of spandex wearing cyclists, riding 3 or 4 abreast. This was one guy, on a saturday morning riding his bike, and one car, failing to see him riding on a straight stretch of highway. In the end, it comes down to not paying attention. The number one rule of driving, no matter what you are driving. Unfortunately, on a bicycle, you can pay attention to cars coming from behind, but a 175 pound man on a 20 pound bike will never match up to a 3,000 pound car hitting him. My heart goes out to the family and friends of Lt. Dillon.

tvc 5 years, 9 months ago

There goes Marion sounding like the left wanting to ban everything!

Marion Lynn 5 years, 9 months ago

Bicycles do not belong on high speed roads, bicyclist's "rights" or not.It's just a matter of common sense.Bicycles should be banned from all roads with a posted speed limit of 45 mph or higher.

1029 5 years, 9 months ago

Motorists should respect that other people are using bicycles as transportation. For many, the only other option is to walk. However, those packs of bicyclists who ride for fun and block traffic are causing people to have negative opinions of bicyclists. It's one thing to use a bicycle as a means to get where one needs to go, but these packs of bicyclists are a menace to the roadways. The pack bicyclist's apparent need to stick so closely to the pack causes he/she to ride dangerously, disobeying traffic signals and crossing roadways without having the right of way. Ironically, these recreational bicyclists are the ones who love bicycles and want to promote their use, but they are also the ones who are creating society's negative opinion of bicycles. Unfortunately, it will probably take a whole pack of them being run down on Highway 59 before they realize how ignorant they have been.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

dracul..;)I think most people figured out I meant "when the cyclist is in that area of the window".Mostly this happens when at a stop sign/intersection. You look both ways, but if the timing is right a bike coming from left or right that happens to be moving at the right speed, similar to an approaching van..the bike moves with the triangle..which is also the area the stop sign post, street signs are making more linear opticals competing to confuse things.Then once the van stops completely, suddenly the bike is popping out in front of them. Zoikks!If they are at a yield intersection (like by my house..the bike path to Clinton) we slow down and look but don't stop completely, making that sudden appearance quite frightening for all.I really question some of those 'leaving the neighborhood' yield signs.I thought it was just that one van I owned, but then I saw the same happen to friends I rode with. They would stomp on the brake exclaiming, where did "he" come from!!I think bikers need to be aware this happens in vans.

notnowdear 5 years, 9 months ago

Bicyclists can be real road hogs. With no consideration whatsoever to the drivers around him. It is the bicyclists that need to take a lesson from this issue.There is no question that bikes on roads are unsafe.

Drew Alan 5 years, 9 months ago

you should use your turn signal at least 100 feet in advance of a turn, and you are to give a cyclist at least 4 feet of space between your car and them when passing on a road. and you should only pass when it is safe to do so (when allowing them 4 feet of clearance will not put you in oncoming traffic or into an adjacent car going your same direction)

rammy 5 years, 9 months ago

Cyclists think they own the road- especially the large groups.The act i witnessed this weekend was the final straw for me.30+ cyclists crossing Highway 59 all at once, forcing cars to come to a complete stop in the middle of the highway.If my family would have been rear-ended then you would have paid the price Team Spandex....

chuchurocka 5 years, 9 months ago

I think that both drivers and cyclists should be more educated about each others rights on the road.

Confrontation 5 years, 9 months ago

No one is safe as long as people continue to use their cell phones while driving. Texting while driving is even worse.

nobody1793 5 years, 9 months ago

"Some cyclists, it seems, think that they have some special right to the road however they decide to use it."I agree, but killing them seems a bit extreme.

Eybea Opiner 5 years, 9 months ago

hilary, I've had occasions where it's the cyclists doing the finger waving and cursing. One time I was pulling a very large trailer with a very large truck and came upon a group of 8 to 10 cyclists riding 2-3 abreast up a slight hill. They were doing maybe 8 mph where the speed limit was 55. I gave a polite (very short) "toot" on my horn to let them know I was behind them. Though most moved over the man in the lead gave me the finger and shouted obsenities as I passed. More recently, I was in a state park in another state driving along a one-way road, looking at the scenery. The road had repeated signs cautioning drivers to watch for cyclists, and cautioning cyclists to keep to the right. Again, I came upon a group of cyclists spread across the entire road. Again, a short beep of the horn, again, shouted obsenities and waved fingers. On both of these occasions I drove behind the cyclists for a time, giving them a chance to move over before announcing my presence by the horn.Some cyclists, it seems, think that they have some special right to the road however they decide to use it.

Bill Chapman 5 years, 9 months ago

Multidisciplinary said-How do you not see a person on a bike?Minivans.The triangle window arrangement in the front corners interferes with seeing both pedestrians and bikes sometimes. _______ Most people don't drive their mini-vans by looking out the corners of the front windshield. >Most usually look out the front (center) of the windshield - when using this method of driving, most (those not blind, in a road trance, etc.) can see the cyclist in front of the vehicle LONG before it becomes necessary to use the side windows to see the cyclist. I will not deny that many cyclists do not obey the law when riding their bicycles, but I will ask you these questions - >How many licensed drivers know what they are supposed to do when there is a bicyclist on the same road they are on? >Do you know how much of the road is allowed for a cyclist to ride on? (And inversely, How often do you give it to the cyclist?) -- For those who complain about signals and their use -- >How often do you use the turn signals in your car before making a turn? >Do you know how far BEFORE the turn you are supposed to signal? I'm not going to give these answers out. Partly because I believe part of learning something is the act of finding the answer and to see how many get upset about me inferring they do NOT know how to drive their vehicles.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

mldillon05 5 years, 9 months ago

stupid bicyclers?? is that a necassary comment to be saying right now for those who have lost a brother, son, friend, and a father of me. Very ignorant I believe. But how do you really not see a person on a bike? just unbelievable at this point.

hilary 5 years, 9 months ago

Cyclists ride with traffic, not against it. Though there are many bicyclists out there who ignore the ways of the road, there are many who follow it well. Drivers feel the need to honk, and curse at me when I'm riding as I should, on the shoulder of the road. It does seem peculiar that this man was hit and killed on this very road. How do you NOT see a bicyclist in front of you?Very sad occasion, but I hope this makes drivers as well as bikers more aware of one another in the future.

shlomoek 5 years, 9 months ago

They need to give out more tickets. I didn't learn about the rules until I got a ticket. I hated it at the time because I didn't get off with any warning, but since then I wish I could give out the tickets. But yes, I got a ticket for not staying to the right part of the right lane on Vermont Street.

tennesseerader 5 years, 9 months ago

Bicycling is a dangerous sport. Traveling at speeds that are a small fraction of posted speed limits invite tremendous risk. For example, tractors and other slow moving vehicles are required to have a slow moving vehicle sign because they pose a danger to the normal flow of traffic.I lived in Douglas County for most of my life and I hated how all of the stupid bicyclers clogged up the highways, especially on weekends.

redneck 5 years, 9 months ago

I really feel for the family. So the guy they interviewed is implying that this may have been intentional? I hope I got that all-wrong. I hope cyclists understand that they are sometimes very hard to notice because of their size. Are cyclist not supposed to ride on the left side of the road so they can see cars coming? I see a lot of them that don't follow that rule.

E-mail to a friend