Teenager arrested in double shooting

June 8, 2008 · Comment on this

A 16-year-old Lawrence man is in custody, arrested today on charges related to that double shooting early Saturday in East Lawrence.

Related story

Comments

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 6 months ago

Can't wait to hear all the sad stories about this kid and why he is a victim.

HighScore 6 years, 6 months ago

Where are all the individuals that were predicting that this shooter was a Topeka resident?I find it interesting that when violence happens in Lawrence, people immediately start blaming Topeka or KC. People in Lawrence should realize that unfortuneately there are plenty of individuals capable of violence living right here in your own community.

ksdivakat 6 years, 6 months ago

I thought there was supposed to be a press conference at 9 this morning about it??

beawolf 6 years, 6 months ago

HighScore,Your comments are true, but most violent crimes in Lawrence ARE committed by outsiders. That said, it really doesn't matter where they are from.

DaREEKKU 6 years, 6 months ago

beawolf-You don't need a gun to commit a violent crime. There are more violent crimes than you think that are committed right here in Lawrence, by Lawrence residents.

Fatty_McButterpants 6 years, 6 months ago

Geez...those neighbors looked, and sounded, like extras from "Meet the Tweakers."We live in a nation with more guns than people. We have more murders every year than any other non-third world country on earth. Yet people are always "surprised" when IT (the "it" being violence) happens in their neighborhood. Why?

krystalk 6 years, 6 months ago

The 20 year old (Roland Klundt) was shot because he was at his home at the time they decided to get back at his younger brother for getting back at them for robbing him in the first place... phew......... anyhow. The 18 year old (Gage Hawk) was there with the black guy to attempt to break into the house. A dispute went on between the three because Roland told them he wasnt going to let them steal from his brother again. For some reason unknown to us right now the black guy turned against Gage too and shot them both. It's sad because I am really good friends with Rolands younger brother and it's just never someone you know when they talk about murders occuring....... but Roland was about to graduate from Baker University and he was a beautiful musician and song writer. It's sad that the immaturity level is so high these days. And how did that 16 year old child get a gun? What's even worse is his parents were stupid enough to either not notice it or not care whether he had it. I guess all I have to say is R.I.P Roland and Gage, and Grow up people. Be a parent.

Sigmund 6 years, 6 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says: "Since when is a 16-year-old considered a man?"At least for transfer from juvenile to adult court, when he pulls a gun and kills two people.

HighScore 6 years, 6 months ago

max1,This is a link to one of the first online articles that covered this shooting. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/jun/07/2_men_dead_after_shooting_1300_block_delaware/Scroll to the comments section and the first comment states, "how much you want to bet the shooters are from Topeka?" This thread features several comments shifting the blame on the town of Topeka.I agree with beawolf, this was a horrible act, it does not matter where the individual is from. I just wish that people were not so quick to point the finger.

krystalk 6 years, 6 months ago

First of all the boy was from Lawrence that did the shooting... but there were 7 others from oskaloosa. Jayhawkerz-I wasn't there but i am good friends with Rolands little brother. He told me everything.And the most important thing that he said is that most everything in the paper is a lie. And they are trying to pin it on him. He didn't know this even happen. Levi loved his brother. And I honestly hope that boy goes to prison for life and is charged as an adult. 2 counts of Murder 1 should result in a life sentence. The gun at the house was never fired it was found up stairs. It was no where close to a gunfight between criminals. Those two boys had no hope. People should stop making assumptions. This is a very sad thing and nothing is funny about any of this. I am about tired of these stupid people letting stupid people have guns. 16!!!! Seriously? Shame on his parents. They are just as much to blame. Crime commiters are getting younger and younger. Think about it... in 2020 7 year olds will own guns and be selling crack.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 6 months ago

Why does there appear to be bottles of motor oil in the photo above?It doesn't matter if this kid gets life or just 30 years; he'll have to grow up in jail and will probably figure out in time that he reeeeealy screwed up. I'll bet he's figured that out by now, though. I can't imagine going to prison when I'm 16 knowing that I might never get out or will be 60 years old when the time is up. We can't bring the victims back, and I personally don't see why we need to tally up one more death. I say sentence him as an adult, but keep in mind that he's only 16 and will have plenty of time to figure out what he did wrong. I know that my thinking was vastly different at 26 than it was at 16. That's when people grow up, and he's probably going to have to do it in jail.Also, how do we know for sure that he was a shooter in the incident?

jayhawkerincali 6 years, 6 months ago

rammy (Anonymous) says: next time, interview some people with teeth:.Seriously, how embarrassing.

E-mail to a friend