Recent crimes boost karate class enrollment

By Jesse Fray · July 18, 2008 · Comment on this

More adults are attending karate classes after hearing about crime in the community.

Related story

Comments

Fatty_McButterpants 5 years, 9 months ago

Madmike: Hmm, unarmed attempts to disarm someone, or attempting to draw and fire a weapon when someone already has their pistol aimed at you. I really donÂ't think you fare any better than the one attempting a disarm...

kansascrone 5 years, 9 months ago

madmike - if the power of attraction holds true - i don't want to be at the nice restaurant on the same evening as you and your spouse - although i'm sure you're both very nice people.

gl0ck0wnr 5 years, 9 months ago

Karate vs. .45ACP. I know which one I'll bring.

madmike 5 years, 9 months ago

I almost forgot. I am trained in defensive tactics, but after three shoououts in my lifetime, I don't believe unarmed defensive tactivs is my first choice when going up against armed criminals.

madmike 5 years, 9 months ago

I try to avoid such situations also. I don't frequent bars or clubs, partly because I am sure that some of my "clients" frequent them. Also, when you are out to a nice restaurant with your spouse in the evening, you can't be certain that there won't be an attempted robbery or car jacking, so I would rather have the firepower and not need it than need it and not have it. I also like to have a less than lethal option.

jonas 5 years, 9 months ago

I'll, personally, stick to not looking for trouble and doing my best to not put myself in dangerous situations. I've found them to be quite effective, and much cheaper than carrying around a small arsenal.

madmike 5 years, 9 months ago

MrsG, while I agree that that type of training is better than nothing at all, disarming a criminal pointing a gun at you is extremely dangerous. I'll stick to my SIG P220 .45 and a small .45 AMT backup in a leg holster, and a can of pepper spray.

Kiana Griffin 5 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps, but this school does teach several very effective close-quarters weapons disarmament techniques, including knives and guns.

jonas 5 years, 9 months ago

As a recently minted blackbelt in Taekwondo, let me be the first to say that all that training will not make me able to block or to dodge a bullet.

E-mail to a friend