Water bills to go up

July 14, 2008 · Comment on this

It seems clear that city residents will be paying more for water in 2009. Lawrence city commissioners raised no objections to a proposed 12 percent water rate increase during a study session this afternoon.

Related story

Comments

gccs14r 5 years, 9 months ago

I put in a 1.5 gpm shower head with an interrupter. That'll drop the water bill.

Marcy McGuffie 5 years, 9 months ago

Bleepity, bleep, bLEEP, BLEEEEEP!!! Fo' seriously? My bill is already outrageous! Nice....

BigPrune 5 years, 9 months ago

Does this mean we aren't going to have to vote on sales tax increases? Is this because I said I was going to contact Jimmy Carter to monitor the polls? I know, it makes it sound like I am important and people actually read these messages.

gccs14r 5 years, 9 months ago

My water bill is already more than my electric bill and is approaching my phone bill. Enough already!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 9 months ago

Can the 12% just be on the water usage alone?Not an increase on the whole darned bill?It's bad enough paying the others items as though I had a family of 8, when there is just me, and I use little water.Why not make outdoor faucet usage 'taxable' so to speak?(I know, costly to implement, but it's a thought)

swan_diver 5 years, 9 months ago

These shameless criminals on the Lawrence City Commission -- and their accessories in city management, need to be hit -- and hit hard. Anyone up for the job? I doubt it. No political savvy left in this sorry little town. Just keep paying, children.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 9 months ago

and this is not a joke? I am sure there is a joke some where in this, these people running this town can not be this this this give me a word people none of mine are printable.

tvc 5 years, 9 months ago

I am going to ask for a 12% raise too!

namastem 5 years, 9 months ago

uh... the 12 percent is to pay for all the land take over and construction they are going to be doing as they spend millions of dollars laying new water pipes around north lawrence and out to the airport.

OnlyTheOne 5 years, 9 months ago

Ahhhhhhhh, Lawrence.The powers that be never learn just tax.

slappedyomomma 5 years, 9 months ago

"manhattan drinks out of it, then dumps its sewer waste in the river."............................................................they don't dump raw sewage into the river. it is illegal ANYWHERE in the US to do that. they reclaim the liquid from the waste, treat it, and then put it back in the river. they say that the water is actually cleaner than when they take it out and that it is even safe to drink. but i wouldn't try it.

july241983 5 years, 9 months ago

most cities along the river get their water from the river. manhattan drinks out of it, then dumps its sewer waste in the river. Topeka does the same, as do we. So, if the 12 % is making sure our treatment facilities are top-notch, I am ok with that. But, 12 % is a pretty big hike.

sjschlag 5 years, 9 months ago

I didn't know we got our water out of the Kansas River. Is that safe?

DonQuipunch 5 years, 9 months ago

Twelve @$%ing PERCENT?! It's like they're not even trying anymore.

E-mail to a friend