City gets tough on snowfall scofflaws

By Mark Boyle · December 2, 2008 · Comment on this

The city commission gave preliminary approval to enact tougher standards to combat snow-covered sidewalks.

Related story

Comments

justforfun 6 years ago

thank god!! now we can get tough on people that throw out cig butts on my sidewalk, loud radios in my neighborhood, People who spit on the sidewalk, and don't forget 40 lashes with a wet noodle for cursing!!! TIP: if theres snow on the sidewalk stay home or call the freeT bus for an at home pick up!! Yea, I know it's not "free" but it soon will be after a couple more elections.

gilly 6 years ago

It's about time. Last year after yet another ice/snow/rain event, there would be ice on Downtown sidewalks in front of one store, tamped down and uneven snow in front of another store, but sidewalks clear of ice and snow in front of a few others. The cleared walks were in the minority, and it's worse in the neighborhoods. It is possible to be a good corporate or private citizen and keep the sidewalks safe for shoppers and neighbors, and it's a shame that it takes more rigorous city action to provoke it.

Richard Heckler 6 years ago

20 years ago it was not unusual for shop owners to be out clearing their walks. Apparently back then it was considered good for business.

Richard Heckler 6 years ago

I find that a stiff push broom and a scoop shovel work easier than "snow shovels".

budwhysir 6 years ago

Bet they get alot of phone calls on the back roads they ignore when the plows run. Dont throw stones in glass buildings, someone might point out things you miss.

persevering_gal 6 years ago

I think it's sad that Lawrence has to make shoveling a regulation. Try living further north. Shoveling your sidewalk on a daily basis is pretty much routine if you want to make it to class or work. The city is NOT making you shovel your driveway too, it's only the sidewalk on your portion of your property (yes, I know the sidewalk belongs to the city, but they can't wipe everyone's butt).I do believe that Lawrence needs to take into consideration about the elderly (which it seems as though they did and brushed it off), and also people who are not home during times of snowfall.Didn't your mothers ever teach you to pick up your room so you could walk around? Although you didn't OWN the house, you still lived there. Buck up Lawrence and go get a nice $20 shovel that will have to only be used a few times. Sure beats $61 for every snowfall.

redmoonrising 6 years ago

By the way, justforfun, you're right, it isn't free. My son who is unable to drive uses it 5 days a week. No, he can't walk to a bus stop either. And it costs $2.00 each way. Plus you have to be qualified to use it, like severely disabled and they do reviews to determine if one is still eligible. Give me a break. It's the "Only there but by the grace of God...." situation. He waits around, they have a 15 minute window each way on pickup, 3 times a day to be shuffled to different people because he can't be left alone at age 40. Do you really begrudge him these rides? He has a job, pays taxes and didn't choose to be in the situation he's in. If you're like me and can't shovel snow any longer, sell your house and rent something where the landlord does it for you. I got tired of paying someone to do it for me because it was a city ordinance. I guess I'll never understand why some people think laws apply to everyone but them. If the downtown stores aren't clearing their walks, why was I? Another good reason not to go downtown with my walker which is tough in the best of weather.

Chris Ogle 6 years ago

I just want a sidewalk. They are free too, right? Then I expect the owner (the city) to keep it clear of snow and Ice. If they fail to keep it clean, then I further expect my check for $61.00 plus $35.00 billing fee. Oh yes, change is coming.... I like this sharing the wealth thing. And of course, our fine City is progressive, and PC, so I am certain my new sidewalk will be completed by this Friday. Surely they won't use that old fashioned concrete that takes several hours to dry. I want to walk on my new (city paid) sidewalk within 10 minutes after the city installs it. Okay, I will be reasonable, 30 minutes. Thanks Lawrence!!!

BigPrune 6 years ago

So if I shovel off my sidewalk and the City plows snow on top of my cleared sidewalk (which happens EVERYTIME), they can fine me 50 bucks? What about people in wheel chairs or the elderly who cannot physically get out to shovel? Will the City pay for the broken hips they'll be creating for the law abiding elderly?

BigPrune 6 years ago

Will the $50 snow removal fine finance the Mayor's Global Warming Task Force? Surely they'll put this money towards an unworthy cause - since this is Lawrence, Kansas after all.

E-mail to a friend