Advocates for disabled urge movie boycott

August 14, 2008 · Comment on this

A new movie hits theaters that's supposed to be a comedy, but local advocates for the disabled say it's anything but funny.

Related story

Comments

George_Braziller 5 years, 8 months ago

So please explain to me. Why do you think that it's OK to call someone a "retard" but not to use the 'N" word. Why is one less offensive than the other? I don't see a difference.

PapaB 5 years, 8 months ago

I think we should we should just boycott all extremist behavior. ;)Some people can be so retarded.(if you're like the people boycotting this movie, you probably don't get my sarcasm either)

alicenevada 5 years, 8 months ago

hail2oldku,That actually is not quite what I am saying, but it is close. We all know that the use of the racial slur - a.k.a the "n" word - in Blazing Saddles would not be tolerated in a comedy in this day and age the way the use of the word "retard" is in Tropical Thunder. And since we all know, whether right or wrong, that the "n" word is in a class by itself as one of, if not the most, damaging words one can use in jest or diminuitive language, you cannot compare this movie to that one. I still stand by my point, which is that people should lighten up. I wonder what would happen if this woman took half the energy she is spending on this silly movie and directed it towards efforts to end something like child sex trafficking? Oh wait, that may not be as important as this one word. In this one movie. Sigh

75x55 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm surprised the usual totalitarians haven't started a drive to have all copies of Blazing Saddles confiscated and burned.'Ohhh, I am sorry - you're supposed to say that..."

RogueThrill 5 years, 8 months ago

That's actually a good point. I would imagine Blazing Saddles would have a tough go of it nowadays. Still one fo the funniest movies I have ever seen and it doesn't age like most comedy from the period.

hail2oldku 5 years, 8 months ago

Soooooooooooooooooooooo, what you're saying alice is this is similar to Blazing Saddles. It just happens to be released in a more PC day and age.Personally, I'd boycott the movie because Ben Stiller is in it before boycotting it for any other reason.

castarke25 5 years, 8 months ago

Its a freakin Movie, people need to relax. Plus if the use of this word is so bad then why the is it in the dictionary along with a bunch of other words that are being used in movies. Well I guess Merriam Webster needs to Rethink what words need to be published. I Cant wait to see the Movie, It looks Hilarious!!!!

acg 5 years, 8 months ago

God I wish people would lighten up. Who's really mad about this move, btw, the advocates for the disabled or the disabled themselves? I have a friend who has an aunt that has down's syndrome and she loves a good retard joke. Everytime I see her I tell her one and she just cracks up and then she'll tell me one back. I'm sure this movie is going to be stupid/funny and it's meant for pure enjoyment. If you don't enjoy that sort of thing, then don't go, but for heaven's sake shut up about it because the rest of us are tired of hearing you whine.

doc1 5 years, 8 months ago

I saw the movie. It was good. Go see it.

alicenevada 5 years, 8 months ago

Sigh. This woman needs to listen to the archives of NPR, August 13th 2008 http://www.npr.org/templates/story/ . Ben Stiller is interviewed about Tropic Thunder and specifically addresses the issue of how the developmentally disabled are represented. In the movie, he is playing an actor who is acting in a war movie who in the past played a role in another film as a developmentally disabled individual and played it very poorly. His point was to show the absurdity to which actors will go in playing roles in which they have no business playing. This is also the reason why one of the "black" men in the movie is played by a white man who is playing a black man. Whew..somewhat confusing, hehe. Anyhoo, the point is that he was NOT making fun of the disabled. Rather, he was pointing out how ridiculous actors can be and how full of themselves they can get. Lighten up, lady! I consider myself a true liberal feminist and can still laugh until I cry at any well directed/acted comedy that makes a spoof of female behavior, traditional or otherwise. Why? Because it is funny, and because it does not take anything away from me as a woman or a person.

macon47 5 years, 8 months ago

if i had to write down everything that offended meor how many times i got my feelings hurti am sure i would get writers cramp

twaldaisy 5 years, 8 months ago

So have these people even seen the movie? Just like the Christians raising a stink about Mel Gibson's movie about Jesus, they hadn't even seen the movie.

RogueThrill 5 years, 8 months ago

Wow, that lazy eye is distracting.Boycott this post.

EasyTiger 5 years, 8 months ago

I agree, you have a right to free speech in this country, what you don't have is a right to not be offended. People need to thicken up their skin instead of this constant crying. From what I've read, the movies shots at the handicapped are less a simple "retard joke" as opposed to a humorous critique at actors who attempt roles playing handicapped individuals. I don't know if the film looks good enough for me to shell out the bucks to see it in the theater, but I would absolutely not base my decision on whether to see it on some short-sighted and self-interested advocacy group's claims.

Jaminrawk 5 years, 8 months ago

People need to get over themselves. Being touchy about everything has gone to far in this society. If we can't laugh in the face or tragedy all we do is mourn it. If we can't accept the ridiculousness of reality then we'll never get over any stigmas.

OhHai 5 years, 8 months ago

it's a MOVIE. so i guess any movie that refers to women or minorities in a derogatory way should be banned as well.

TheEleventhStephanie 5 years, 8 months ago

Well since they are so vague, I am going to have to go see the movie to see what the big deal is.

E-mail to a friend