mikewaz (Mike Wasikowski)


Comment history

Hundreds of Free State students stage walkout in protest of school shootings

Whataboutism is the last defense of scoundrels and propagandists.

February 21, 2018 at 1:20 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

A new report raises the question of whether Lawrence has gotten much, much richer; new statistics for the state and a new ranking

Yes, it is technically possible that median household income in Lawrence fell about $3,000 between 2015 and 2016. Don't oversell the odds. The ranges you provided are 95% confidence intervals, meaning there's a 2.5% chance that the median income in 2015 was equal to or higher than $51,000 and there's a 2.5% chance that the median income in 2016 was equal to or less than $48,000. Combined together, that makes for a 0.06% chance, or 1 in 1600, that median income declined from $51,000 or higher to $48,000 or lower. That's not winning the Powerball jackpot unlikely, but it's still pretty unlikely.

September 15, 2017 at 1:38 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Ex-Lawrence mayor asks court for exception: probation instead of prison for embezzling from food bank

I think serving five months in prison and five months on supervised release from prison is plenty lenient for someone who stole several thousands of dollars from starving community members.

August 3, 2017 at 8:07 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Editorial: Expand Medicaid now

I wholly support ensuring disabled individuals get coverage and access to appropriate health care under Medicaid. Expanding Medicaid would likely benefit those 4,600 individuals with disabilities waiting for services in addition to the hundreds of thousands of individuals without disabilities who would gain coverage. As the KFF notes, individuals with disabilities who fall below the 138% FPL benchmark could enroll immediately without waiting for a disability determination should we expand; that would likely encompass many of those 4,600 people you mentioned.


March 1, 2017 at 2:48 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Lawrence City Commission to elect new mayor

Considering you commented on the article I'm linking below, I'm surprised you don't know Mr. Farmer pled guilty to interstate transportation of stolen funds and is awaiting sentencing for that conviction.


January 9, 2017 at 3:48 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Editorial: Bad beginning for Congress

Robert Costa reported that most members of Congress told him the most important factor in getting them to change their tune was a "blizzard of angry constituent calls." Not only that, but as you noted by quoting his tweets, Donald called the organization "unfair" and merely objected to the timing of these changes to the OCE. You should give credit where credit is due and not where it isn't.


January 4, 2017 at 8:11 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Editorial: Revenue insult

Almost two years ago, you, meaning the J-W Editorial Staff, endorsed Governor Brownback for re-election in 2014, saying "Brownback should have learned from the mistakes he made in his first four years in office, and it seems reasonable to think that, if elected, he would adopt a more effective, productive agenda in his final four years, working with a Republican-controlled legislature." You further added that "It seems likely [he has] the experience and ability to serve and represent Kansas better than [his opponent], Paul Davis."

I have two questions for you, editorial staff:

1) Do you think Governor Brownback has learned from his mistakes?

2) Do you regret your endorsement of him?


October 6, 2016 at 8:24 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Letter to the editor: Sit-in support

The city commissioners discussed writing and publishing a letter of support for BLM at the August 16th city commission meeting during the city manager's report. Because the city wanted time to consider the contents of this letter, they wanted to draft the letter at the next available time. Because of state rules surrounding when and how city commissions can meet, and because the commission had approved a change in the regular meeting schedule back in June, the first available time was three weeks later, during the September 6th meeting. Drafting this letter and approving it for publication was part of the agenda for this meeting and would have happened regardless of the sit-in.

September 22, 2016 at 1:40 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Changes to Lawrence bus routes going into effect Aug. 1

When I discover a problem with something I've done, I search for the cause, develop a solution to that cause, implement it, and continue monitoring for future problems. Do you do something different? Ignore the problem entirely? Let it fester? Tear down the whole thing and never try again?

July 28, 2016 at 12:43 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Editorial: Local control

"Citizens want the right to vote because local elected officials have been dishonest about the huge increases imposed over the years."

I'd like to see a survey result that confirms this claim.

April 7, 2016 at 8:49 a.m. ( | suggest removal )