April 24, 2014 |
64° Thunderstorm in Vicinity Light Rain
See complete forecast
Last login: Sunday, July 15, 2012
This is a developer' dream: Destroy an existing wetlands environment, maintained by nature for countless eons, and replace it with an artificial one that requires continuous human maintenance and public funding to preserve. No doubt, during the next economic crises - one which will surely come - the public will be convinced that the state, county, city, etc. cannot afford to pay for continued maintenance of the artificial wetlands and also that the sale of the land will provide much needed revenue. I would bet that plans exists in some stashed away arcinfo or autocad file that show, not a wetlands, but, instead, a housing project or, perhaps, another strip mall.The developers of the highway project waited at least 20 years and spent millions of dollars to destroy the wetlands. This project must have more value than just a simple alternative traffic corridor. I am sure that the powers-that-be are willing to wait another 20 years for the public to grow weary of the cost of maintenance and then they will get to develop the alternative wetlands property.In the end the area around what was once the Akarusa Wetlands will be urban blight requiring further mitigation to control the negative effects of increased traffic and development.
July 15, 2012 at 12:24 p.m.
( permalink | suggest removal )
16" large 2-topping pizza
· with 2 toppings & 2 drinks. Everyday special: ...
Famous Dave's Bar-B-Que
Soup, salad, and potato combos from $7.49
· Mix and match by choosing two options: Famous ...
Jja Jang Myeon (Korean Black Bean Spaghetti)
· Pork, black bean purée, potatos, onions, carrots, with ...
Bird Dog Bar
Chef’s choice lunch special, $7.95-$9.95
· All Bird Dog specials are prepared from fresh ...
Cosmos Indian Store & Cafe
· Blend of spinach cooked with tomatoes, coriander, ginger ...
Baby Back Thursday!
· Dine in or carry out Full Slab ala ...
Wayne & Larry's Sports Bar & Grill
Italian Beef Sandwich
· Juicy, thin-sliced Vienna Italian beef topped with seasoned ...
Jayhawker signature sandwich, $7.95-$9.95.
· All Jayhawker specials are prepared from fresh ingredients ...
Wheat State Pizza
Buy any size pizza at regular price and get a 2nd for 1/2 price!
· Every day: get a 10" 1-Topping Pizza and ...
23rd Street Brewery
Crown’s southern fried chicken salad or all signature wraps
Henry T's Bar & Grill
Chicken parmesan sandwich with one side.
· Our new menu is almost entirely gluten-free!