From the ashes 5 years after the Boardwalk Apartment Fire

Jason Allen Rose

One of the first 911 calls reporting the fire came from a phone line registered to a ‘Rose, J.’ Jason Allen Rose soon found himself accused of starting the blaze.

Memories of man at center of Boardwalk blaze vary

In annual crime statistics compiled by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation, he’s categorized as a triple murderer. To those who knew him, he’s a kind — but intellectually challenged — young man railroaded by the criminal justice system. In the Lawrence community, he’s the arsonist responsible for one of the worst local tragedies in recent memory. And for one of the victims of the Boardwalk Apartment fire, Jason Allen Rose is a hero.

Fire victim credits Rose with saving her life

While Jason Rose was convicted for the fire that killed three people, Sandy Meyers — who escaped the fire — says Rose saved her life.

District Attorney discusses arson case

Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson discusses the case against Jason Rose and whether they achieved justice.

Arrest made in deadly fire

Word that blaze was intentional creates new anguish for survivors

A fast-food employee who recently moved out on his own after living in foster care is accused of setting a massive apartment-building fire that killed three people.

Rose faces up to 122 months for involuntary manslaughter

District attorney wanted felony murder conviction

A jury on Friday convicted a Lawrence man of setting a deadly apartment fire in 2005 but stopped short of convicting him of first-degree murder - a verdict that the county’s top prosecutor said was “inconsistent.”

Comments

lawrenceguy40 3 years, 9 months ago

Journalistic award fodder! Get over it LJW. The Pullitzer will never come your way. Try reporting today's local news.

Joel 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm sorry you see this as a reason to take a cheap shot at the Journal-World, lawrenceguy40.

I was the first Journal-World reporter on the scene of this tragedy, and I know the event weighs heavily on me five years later. All the many other people who were directly or indirectly affected by the fire -- the survivors, the families, the emergency responders and many others -- are no doubt marking this day. It obviously still has resonance in the community; it is news.

My thoughts are with those who experienced that night -- those who survived and those who didn't.

Joel Mathis Philadelphia

lissamphibia 3 years, 9 months ago

John Kyle 3 years, 9 months ago

Go to h*ll lawrenceguy40. I lost a friend in that fire and worthless anonymous jerks like you should just shut up. If you got nothing to say, then say nothing.

openminded 3 years, 9 months ago

I have a dear friend that was lost in the fire. I'm proud to take a look back at the fire and her life. It is articles like this that make you appreciate everything you have at the moment. Makes you hug your family just a bit harder when you leave for work, makes you say I love you just a few more times throughout the day. I am very thankful for this article. And thank you Joel. I still cry when I read this, cried during Rose's trial and cried at his sentencing. This article is a part of Lawrence's history. If you don't like it, don't read it.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 9 months ago

Joel, maybe you don't read the threads here lately.
to refer to LG40 as a troll actually insults trolls.

we all know about him. don't worry.

thank you for the article ljw, this very serious event has effected our community in so many lives.
a story on the anniversary just makes sense.

openminded 3 years, 9 months ago

Thanks gnome. I couldn't have said it better myself.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 9 months ago

OM: Thanks gnome. I couldn't have said it better myself.

---you're welcome.

it is an event that is perminently etched in Lawrence history.

BigJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

I lived in one of those apartments in 1992-1993 or so (actually it was 2 adjoining apartments made into one -- #7 & #8 as I recall). My room-mates and I lived on the top floor. The decks and stairs to the ground were all wood as I recall. Seeing the photos 5 years ago really made me think back about what a TERROR that must have been for the victims to try to escape. It was eery for me and I was out of there about 13 years prior.

Thanks for the look back LJW. (Posting this from New Jersey.)

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 8 months ago

lawrenceguy40 - I guess you don't read much. A lot of fires are still written about decades after the event, especially if there was a great and needless loss of life due to inadequate fire protection and/or escape routes. By correcting the deficiences, there is no way to tell how many people have been spared a horrible death.

Here are a couple fires that will always be "news":

The Iroquois Theatre fire occurred on December 30, 1903, in Chicago, Illinois. It is the deadliest theater fire and the deadliest single-building fire in United States history. A total of 602 people died as a result of the fire.

Cocoanut Grove Fire - On November 28th 1942, a huge fire occurred at the Cocoanut Grove Night Club in Boston. 492 people perished in total.

In the aftermath of those fires, there were many code changes, and the enforcement of the existing codes was given a much higher priority.