From the ashes

5 years after the Boardwalk Apartment Fire

· October 7, 2010 · Post a comment

About 1:20 a.m. on Oct. 7, 2005, emergency dispatchers began receiving 911 calls about a fire at a northwest Lawrence apartment complex. In minutes, a fire at the Boardwalk Apartments ripped through 76 apartments. Three people died in what was one of the worst fires in Lawrence history. Five years later, we take a look back.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 5 months ago

lawrenceguy40 - I guess you don't read much. A lot of fires are still written about decades after the event, especially if there was a great and needless loss of life due to inadequate fire protection and/or escape routes. By correcting the deficiences, there is no way to tell how many people have been spared a horrible death.

Here are a couple fires that will always be "news":

The Iroquois Theatre fire occurred on December 30, 1903, in Chicago, Illinois. It is the deadliest theater fire and the deadliest single-building fire in United States history. A total of 602 people died as a result of the fire.

Cocoanut Grove Fire - On November 28th 1942, a huge fire occurred at the Cocoanut Grove Night Club in Boston. 492 people perished in total.

In the aftermath of those fires, there were many code changes, and the enforcement of the existing codes was given a much higher priority.

BigJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

I lived in one of those apartments in 1992-1993 or so (actually it was 2 adjoining apartments made into one -- #7 & #8 as I recall). My room-mates and I lived on the top floor. The decks and stairs to the ground were all wood as I recall. Seeing the photos 5 years ago really made me think back about what a TERROR that must have been for the victims to try to escape. It was eery for me and I was out of there about 13 years prior.

Thanks for the look back LJW. (Posting this from New Jersey.)

bearded_gnome 3 years, 6 months ago

OM: Thanks gnome. I couldn't have said it better myself.

---you're welcome.

it is an event that is perminently etched in Lawrence history.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 6 months ago

Joel, maybe you don't read the threads here lately.
to refer to LG40 as a troll actually insults trolls.

we all know about him. don't worry.

thank you for the article ljw, this very serious event has effected our community in so many lives.
a story on the anniversary just makes sense.

openminded 3 years, 6 months ago

I have a dear friend that was lost in the fire. I'm proud to take a look back at the fire and her life. It is articles like this that make you appreciate everything you have at the moment. Makes you hug your family just a bit harder when you leave for work, makes you say I love you just a few more times throughout the day. I am very thankful for this article. And thank you Joel. I still cry when I read this, cried during Rose's trial and cried at his sentencing. This article is a part of Lawrence's history. If you don't like it, don't read it.

lawrenceguy40 3 years, 6 months ago

Journalistic award fodder! Get over it LJW. The Pullitzer will never come your way. Try reporting today's local news.