Obama’s inauguration

The 44th President: Jan. 20, 2009

· January 20, 2009 · Post a comment

Barack Obama became the 44th president of the United States on Jan. 20, 2009 — the first African-American elected to the position. Many locals made the trip to Washington, D.C., to watch the historic event. Others watched from here in Kansas.

Comments

bookemdano 5 years, 11 months ago

What a disgusting thing to say... I don't care what your politics are.

walter_sobchak 5 years, 11 months ago

one amateur replacing another. here comes your hope and change, sheep.

Phil Minkin 5 years, 11 months ago

XD40 (Anonymous) says… I wish Obama luck. He's going to need it. Especially, given his links to corruption in Chicago and his associations with folks like Tony Rezko, Blago, Jeremiah Wright, Bill Ayers, Pflegler, et. al.Better these small potatoes guys, than the big time miscreants at Blackwater, Enron, Haliburton and the Saudi oil thieves.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

The real parade begins tomorrow. The parade of the big-money people who financed the O'dude show. They will all be wanting considerations. logy, are you talking about Sam Adams, Democratic mayor of Portland and infamous pedo there?

Orwell 5 years, 11 months ago

Why do so many of the commenters here hate America?

local_support 5 years, 11 months ago

You say Bush kept us safe, I say 9/11 happened on his watch. Not to mention the economic collapse and two wars we're still saddled with.Final Grade: F+ (He gets the plus because his Bushisms were so entertaining)

tunahelper 5 years, 11 months ago

hey local moron, slick willie had more to do with 9/11 than President Bush.omaba wants to regulate carbon emissions, how stupid. be prepared to pay for $8.00 per gallon of gasoline, it will happen for sure with the enviro-whackos in charge.The Iraqi people are now FREE because of American intervention! Al qaeda will strike again within the next 6 months. They love having omaba as President because they know he is a wus and will not retaliate against any terrorists.what a bunch of idiots (the leftist omaba regime).

Cynthia Schott 5 years, 11 months ago

Can this be the Lawrence I left 8 years ago? You sound like a bunch of uneducated hoohaws from the fabled Ozarks. Do you keep corncobs by your outdoor toilets?How embarrassing for Lawrence...Cindy

Mike Blur 5 years, 11 months ago

Typically appalling that the anonymous right wingers on this comment forum cheer another human beings' ill health and wish for another terror attack on America. Is that what happens when you wingnuts don't get your way? You've had your way for 8 years, and piddled away an opportunity to overturn Roe v Wade and establish Christianity in public schools. Now, neither is ever going to happen. All you right wingers have left is being cheerleaders for al-Qaeda.

eotw33 5 years, 11 months ago

eotw33 5 years, 11 months ago

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 11 months ago

God bless America and God bless our new president.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

Remember that the O'dude was all in favor of public financing of political campaigns until Axelrod showed him how to allow massive donations of untraceable cash through the web. Wonder how much of that was from foreign sources. We'll never know.

jayhawkerincali 5 years, 11 months ago

Aren't you people over this already?! MOVE ON. Support our current President, just as many had to support the one before him, regardless of his mistakes/corruption/etc...No one is perfect, and the wonderful about America is that WE as a nation voted him into office. Congratulations Mr. President. Prove the non-believers wrong.

rightytighy 5 years, 11 months ago

I awoke this morning, sad...Oh so sad.... I believe Democracy has been dealt a swift blow. Clutched over in a heap of "United" agony, fearful of "Change". These Obama's and their "Hope", blah... I guess all I can do now is spread my despair, self-pity, and sad little life on silly internet blogs cause some people actually read my words and I like that.... argh....Mark it....... Obama..... 1/20/09...... where were you when...... I became a sad little person....ohh snap......Change....enjoy....

Kristine Bailey 5 years, 11 months ago

Obama was not descended from a Slave! He was not born in Kansas! He spent his childhood in Indonesia!So much disinformation already.

Shardwurm 5 years, 11 months ago

Just remember. Everything was Bush's fault. Please maintain the same standard for Uncle Barry.I'm glad the coronation went well. I just hope he can live up to the expectations put upon him by so many idiots.

Doug Fisher 5 years, 11 months ago

Wow just plain wow. Judging by all these ignorant posts, I'd say Lawrence has turned into a full-fledged backward hicksville. Where are the normal people? No wonder I moved away from there. Guess the rednecks took over. What a shame since you were the last great town in Kansas. Anyways, God Bless America and Obama as he is our 44th President. Haters: Get over yourselves. You had 8 years and look where it got us.

Kaw Pickinton 5 years, 11 months ago

No.... They it's just the only people that post comments here any more. Plus, it's actually one guy with several user names that had nothing better to do today.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

Regarding Michelle's outfit, Chewbacca called. He wants his wife's housecoat back. (quote lifted from http://ace.mu.nu/)

Bob_Keeshan 5 years, 11 months ago

Hey bjfisher - I hereby profess my politics in public. I am a Democrat.Are you and millions of others going to shoot me now?

Commemorative Inauguration Package

Get a piece of history: the special Jan. 20, 2009 edition of the Journal-World with souvenir Barack Obama poster, and the Jan. 21 edition with full inauguration coverage and wrap-up of this historic election season.