Learning to live

Road to recovery

In the days after the accident, Katherine’s family was preparing to say their goodbyes. But today she is doing what seven months ago they thought would be impossible, attending kindergarten.

Beating the Odds

In a split-second, LaMont and JoAnne Cook's lives were forever changed. Their five-year-old daughter was struck in the head by a stray bullet while playing outside of her rural Linwood home. In part one of our two-part series "Learning to Live," 6News Reporter Janet Reid brings us the story of the young girl's courageous battle back from injuries that almost claimed her life.

Comments

live_like_u_were_dyin 5 years, 3 months ago

When I turned 16 my Dad made me take hunter's saftey at the fop lodge. My dad is a big time hunter and i have been going with him since I was about 7. Hunter Saftey is really a great class even if you do not hunt. Just knowing how to properly oporate a gun can do wonders.

J2od 5 years, 6 months ago

Oh, so sad: There are quite simply too many people who can read, and write, and yet they can't quite put a coherent thought together.I agree with DonQuiPunch. (Love the name, by the way... you must have incredible dreams about windmills and sexually inappropriate acts of violence!) You can make as many laws as you want to protect people, and they will still and always find a way to make the most benign thing a weapon. (A Barbie doll leg could easily stab a human eyeball out; a car will still lose its brakes and careen into the unsuspecting passerby...)To blame a gun is foolish, Tangential Reasoner, and perhaps your reasoning, tangential or no, is slightly askew.I agree with the sentiments of FMT6488: what training is there for a new gun owner?We make driver's ed and sex ed requirements in modern school, but not hunter's safety or firearms safety? What gives? Is this not the US of A? Is this not a gun-toting populous? Firearms are as prevelant and accessible here in the States as they are anywhere, so why not make education on them mandatory?I'm not suggesting we make a person take a test to get a gun... but some education issued at an early age may enlighten those who would otherwise harm others.And let's face it, Judgesmails: was this article solely about the little girl, or does it point to the larger issue of the need for firearms safety and accountability? Your haste in emotional exacerbation makes any point you wanted to make much less significant. Your heart feels more than your mind thinks, I fear.Now, if you don't mind, my wife is bothering me. Makes me want to drink something fierce, and go kill something on its own turf.I wonder what you guys'd think about factory farming? FMT6488 is either a vegetarian or a hypocrite.

FMT6488 5 years, 6 months ago

My heart goes out to the young girl, and I hope she has a long and loving life. I truly hope that the person(s) responsible for this are found or (better yet) come forward. Sorry for the rant, but this really hit a nerve. I have been invited to many hunting grounds/ groups only to find it an excuse to to get away from the wife, drink beer, and shoot a gun at something. People like this really ?!$$ me off, and are 90% of the problems involving gun accidents.

FMT6488 5 years, 6 months ago

"Guns don't kill, PEOPLE kill" - this is so very true! But you allow everyone without a felony conviction the right to purchase and own a firearm with ANY form of required training and what can you expect?? Many states that refuse motorcycle licenses until a motorcycle training class has been taken(and in most cases a practical and written test passed), allow anyone over the age of 18 and no felony record to purchase a firearm. A firearm is SO much more dangerous than a motorcycle, yet they are comparatively easy to buy. I am NOT someone who wishes to remove this right from the Bill of Rights, neither am I a gun-nut. I am someone that wishes this government would attempt to apply a little more common sense in how it allows people to be able to own a firearm. If I were to go to a gun show in certain states, as a legal citizen of the U.S., I could purchase a rifle, shotgun, or a handgun with little more than a state drivers license and a SSN. Worse even: I could do so for cash - thus leaving no easy immediate way to track me down should my IDs prove to be fake...

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

There is no question in my mind that this youngster is receiving support of the first order. And, for as tragic as this event was, let us hope that her young age will play favorably in her ongoing recovery.

Judgesmails 5 years, 6 months ago

way to support this little girl.........idiots

DonQuipunch 5 years, 6 months ago

There are millions of responsible gun owners who enjoy the sport of shooting without taking the life of any living creature.Not everything has to be so black and white.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

When I was a child, still able to count my age on two hands, my father bought my brother and me a pair of Crossman (pump) BB "rifles." We shot up the included targets. We shot at cans... bottles... trees. One afternoon, I placed a bird in my sights, pulled the trigger, and watched it fall onto the ground.In a heartbeat, or the stilling thereof, I outgrew guns. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl7zhN...

Ronda Miller 5 years, 6 months ago

The format of this story is incredible - as is the story itself.My heart goes out to Katherine and her family and I wish them continued progress in her recovery.

DonQuipunch 5 years, 6 months ago

I can't believe the T wasn't somehow heroically involved.Guns didn't do this. Idiots did.In Japan, you can find stories about how innocent children and bystanders have been sickened and/or killed by fumes, since so many people commit suicide (in apartments!) by by mixing detergents and cleaning chemicals in their bathrooms and kitchens.You can ban everything you want, you're still going to have irresponsible idiots f'ing it up for everybody else.