War’s toll: invisible scars

· November 11, 2008 · Post a comment

The wounds of war are not always visible. Lawrence resident Ted Lawyer returned from military duty in Iraq two years ago with post traumatic stress disorder and a traumatic brain injury. Now, he fights to regain control of his mind.

Comments

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for your service Ted, we all hope you get better. My son in law is in Iraq now and has lost a number of friends. The stress our soldiers have had to endure during this conflict is real and affects each person differently. Please people, give this man the honor he is due.

Lindsey Buscher 6 years, 9 months ago

And cognitive behavioral therapy and "happy pills" are not mutually exclusive, usually the best treatment is a combination of different treatment.

Ragingbear 6 years, 9 months ago

Pogo, Cognitive Behavioral therapy is MUCH longer than 8 sessions. A full course consist of over 30-40 sessions, with many people repeating the course.It is also highly effective for being a program that is taught in a classroom environment. It has helped me with my issues greatly.

Phil Minkin 6 years, 9 months ago

This is a really sad story. How many veterans are suffering from this and are undiagnosed? Nearly 5000 dead American soldiiers, countless wounded, famiilies ruined and billions of dollars wasted on our first war of choice. We will hopefully survive the economic mess W helped get us into, but the tragic legacy of our worst president is the blood and treasure squandered.

Kaiser 6 years, 9 months ago

This is bull, his hummer never got blown up. He was never engaged by direct fire. FOBIT!!!

been_there 6 years, 9 months ago

Since insurance probably won't pay for brain conditioning, it might be too expensive for some.

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 9 months ago

Kaiser-We never said is Hummer was blown up; it was attacked and damaged. And that is a fact that's confirmed by Ted's CO, who's now a Lt. Col. Jonathan KealingOnline editor

flux 6 years, 9 months ago

Veterans Day should be for Veterans not state employees. I guarantee most of our veterans are working today without a paid day off.....think about it!

been_there 6 years, 9 months ago

I know insurance won't pay for vision therapy which is about the same price.

Opus 6 years, 9 months ago

monkeyspunk 6 years, 9 months ago

The next president has a huge responsibility to take care of our men and women returning home as well as those already home in a system that doesn't seem to care. Please check out www.IAVA.org. This group is the primary, non-partisan veterans group fighting for the most recent generation of veterans. These guys are one of the main fighters for the new GI Bill, as well as other efforts to pass legislation regarding physical and mental treatment for returning veterans.Check out...www.thisisforthesoldiers.orgwww.iavaaction.orghttp://www.iava.org/videos/general-videos/an-introduction-to-iava

caring_one 6 years, 9 months ago

I don't think that the real concern is weather his vehicle was blown up or not. Ted is a veteran just like alot of other men and women out there. They fight for not just the country but for you and for me to be safe and to be able to live free. Ted is a remarkable person, he is loving and kind and loves his family. It has to be very hard to wake up day after day and not know what your day will be like. It is different for him and Gwen, Ted went to Iraq and when he came back he is not the same as he was. SO just because his vehicle was not blown into pieces does not mean we should ever discredit his character or heroism. We love you T!

mary_mo70 6 years, 9 months ago

My son returned from Iraq in August 2006.Having no clue what he had been through, I thought he was doing okay . I was living in Texas at the time and he was in Colorado. April 07 he lost it and to make a long story short he was facing a extortion(class 3 felony) charge, 3 counts of menacing, and unlawful discharge of a firearm. I would not bail him out because I feared he would hurt himself or someone else but I did get him a lawyer. He spent 19 months in jail waiting for his trial and was found not guilty by reason of insanity and put in custody of Colorado human services. Before anyone says "Why didn't he go to the VA?" Well he did and they absolutely did him no good. Something has got to be done to help our returning soldiers. I don't think the military, government, or VA know what do but something has to change for ALL of our safety.

BaneMaler 6 years, 9 months ago

I am a Veterans advocate in Lawrence and these stories are repeated again and again. We need to get full benefits to all service members returning from abroad. They deserve it! If anyone is looking for assistance or needs help raising funds for Veterans we are happy to help. Feel free to contact us.