Tom Keegan (Sports editor)
Tom Keegan, sports editor/columnist/Spodcaster/panelist for "The Drive" television show for the World Company, has a diverse media background as a baseball writer, author, and sports talk radio host.
A 1981 graduate of Marquette University, Keegan has written for the Orange County Register, National Sports Daily, Daily Southtown, Baltimore Sun and New York Post. Keegan also was co-host of an afternoon drive-time radio show on 1050 ESPN Radio in New York.
Keegan has written three baseball books: He co-authored "Sleeper Cars and Flannel Uniforms," the autobiography of late K-State great Elden Auker; authored "Ernie Harwell: My 60 Years in Baseball," an authorized biography of the Detroit Tigers Hall of Fame broadcaster; authored "The First Baseman," a look at the nuances of the position through interviews with several major league first basemen, past and present. During his career, Keegan has interviewed, among others, Hank Aaron, Barry Bonds, Jim Brown, John Hadl, Michael Jordan, Sandy Koufax, Tommy Lasorda, Willie Mays, Liza Minelli, Denny McLain (in prison), Terrell Owens, Cal Ripken, Jim Ryun, Wes Santee, Gale Sayers, Mike Tyson and Dwyane Wade. Keegan was named Marquette University 2005 Communicator of the Year at the Alumni Association Awards. He earned a second-place finish in the Associated Press Sports Editors contest, breaking news category, in 2006.
- Tom Keegan: Better stamina and fewer fouls mean more minutes for Udoka Azubuike
- November 17, 2017
- The most significant number produced in Kansas’ 65-61 victory over Kentucky in the Champions Classic leapt off the box score as if it were a typo. Udoka Azubuike, a broad-shouldered 7-footer who carries 280 pounds, played 34 minutes and did it against fast and quick Kentucky.
- Tom Keegan: Duke, led by Grayson Allen, justifies No. 1 ranking at Champions Classic
- November 15, 2017
- Chicago — Legendary Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski talked about his team after it defeat Michigan State, but some of his words applied just as well to Kansas after its attractively flawed grinder of a close triumph over ridiculously young, talented Kentucky.
- Tom Keegan: Udoka Azubuike lifts up the Jayhawks in win over Kentucky
- November 14, 2017
- Udoka Azubuike and Mitch Lightfoot. That’s it as far as front-court players go for Kansas unless and until athletic department administrators are satisfied that a “clearer financial picture specific to the vehicle,” freshman Billy Preston was driving in a one-car accident Saturday morning does not impair the talented freshman forward’s eligibility. By Tom Keegan
- Tom Keegan: Beaty and Zenger prove Leo Durocher still right
- November 14, 2017
- The day after David Booth’s $50 million donation was announced at a dinner at the Jayhawk Club attended by most of the coaches in the University of Kansas athletic department, I chatted with him for 20 minutes before KU’s 56-34 loss to West Virginia.
- Tom Keegan: Does winning in football mean as much as it once did to Kansas Athletics?
- November 13, 2017
- Of all the conversations between new University of Kansas chancellor Douglas Girod and seventh-year athletic director Sheahon Zenger, the one I most would have liked to hear: The chancellor asking the AD some form of the question on the minds of many: You fired Turner Gill with a 5-19 record and Charlie Weis at 6-22. What makes 3-31 better than 5-19 and 6-22?
- Tom Keegan: Jayhawks’ road futility reaches record length
- November 11, 2017
- A revolving door of quarterbacks is the face of the longest road losing streak in the history of college football’s highest division. By Tom Keegan
- Tom Keegan: Freshman Marcus Garrett makes most of surprise start
- November 10, 2017
- Malik Newman, who had been starting in the exhibition games, didn’t hear his name called with the KU basketball starters, replaced by the stealth newcomer, the one who was not a hamburger All-American and didn’t play on the national AAU circuit, freshman swingman Marcus Garrett from Dallas. Garrett handled the nerves that went with the promotion and his debut well enough to record a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds. He also had two steals and had just one of his team’s 20 turnovers. By Tom Keegan
- Tom Keegan: Jayhawks not the same without master of all volleyball trades Madison Rigdon
- November 8, 2017
- For the second match in a row, Kansas senior outside hitter Madison Rigdon from Pflugerville, Texas, was sidelined because of an undisclosed medical condition Wednesday night at Horejsi Center with rival Kansas State in town.
- Tom Keegan: Devonté Graham relieves stress whenever he’s on the court
- November 7, 2017
- Devonte’ Graham takes a seat and the possessions become ragged, questions surface about this Kansas basketball team. Stress enters the viewing experience. By Tom Keegan