Tom Keegan (Sports editor)
Tom Keegan, sports editor/columnist/Spodcaster/panelist for "The Drive" television show for the World Company, has a diverse media background as a baseball writer, author, and sports talk radio host.
A 1981 graduate of Marquette University, Keegan has written for the Orange County Register, National Sports Daily, Daily Southtown, Baltimore Sun and New York Post. Keegan also was co-host of an afternoon drive-time radio show on 1050 ESPN Radio in New York.
Keegan has written three baseball books: He co-authored "Sleeper Cars and Flannel Uniforms," the autobiography of late K-State great Elden Auker; authored "Ernie Harwell: My 60 Years in Baseball," an authorized biography of the Detroit Tigers Hall of Fame broadcaster; authored "The First Baseman," a look at the nuances of the position through interviews with several major league first basemen, past and present. During his career, Keegan has interviewed, among others, Hank Aaron, Barry Bonds, Jim Brown, John Hadl, Michael Jordan, Sandy Koufax, Tommy Lasorda, Willie Mays, Liza Minelli, Denny McLain (in prison), Terrell Owens, Cal Ripken, Jim Ryun, Wes Santee, Gale Sayers, Mike Tyson and Dwyane Wade. Keegan was named Marquette University 2005 Communicator of the Year at the Alumni Association Awards. He earned a second-place finish in the Associated Press Sports Editors contest, breaking news category, in 2006.
- Tom Keegan: David Beaty and Clint Bowen hope former boss Mark Mangino has big crowd for return to Memorial Stadium
- August 18, 2017
- Listening to Kansas football head coach David Beaty and defensive coordinator Clint Bowen talk about what Mark Mangino’s return to Memorial Stadium means to them and listening to Mangino talk about the role his gratitude for KU’s loyal football fans played in his decision to come back, a thought occurred: Could the season-opening game vs. Southeast Missouri State be the school’s first football sellout since Mangino was head coach?
- Tom Keegan: Greyson Jenista’s star keeps rising
- August 18, 2017
- De Soto High graduate Greyson Jenista wasn’t chosen for the Journal-World’s 10-person All-Area baseball team and was one of 20 players to earn honorable mention in 2015. Earlier this week, the Wichita State first baseman/outfielder earned the most prestigious summer honor available to college baseball players, one that puts him in mighty elite company.
- Tom Keegan: James McClinton deserves banner on Memorial Stadium exterior
- August 16, 2017
- A second-team All-American in 2007, James McClinton was a beast of a defensive tackle, so explosive, so quick, so strong, so consistently enthusiastic.
- Tom Keegan: Mark Mangino explains why he accepted invitation to return to Memorial Stadium for season-opener
- August 15, 2017
- Kansas went 50-48 in eight seasons under Mark Mangino and is 14-70 in the eight seasons since. In his final two seasons, the average attendance at Memorial Stadium was 50,907 (2008) and 50,581 (2007). Attendence has dropped every season since and was 25,828 in 2016.
- Tom Keegan: Kansas State primed for great football season
- August 14, 2017
- Kansas State left tackle Scott Frantz, a Free State High graduate, earned a spot on the Associated Press all-bowl team by holding No. 1 overall draft pick Myles Garrett of Texas A&M without a sack. Right tackle Dalton Risner did a better job against Big 12 2017 preseason defensive player of the year Dorance Armstrong than anyone Kansas faced in 2016.
- Color Ashton Lambie and his handlebars gold (and orange)
- August 12, 2017
- You might have wondered: Who is that young man with the bright-orange handlebar mustache moving so swiftly down 1750 Road on his bicycle? Don’t feel bad. There were those at the USA Cycling national championships in Carson, California, who no doubt wondered the same thing.
- Tom Keegan: Five close battles for starting spots highlight Kansas football camp
- August 11, 2017
- Five position battles for the top spot on the depth chart stand above the rest as most intriguing during the Kansas football team’s fall camp. By Tom Keegan
- Legendary Tom Watson shares wisdom with young golfers in Eudora
- August 9, 2017
- Eudora — Not a drop of rain fell on the young golfers assembled at the Twin Oaks golf learning center to partake in a clinic from one of the sport’s all-time greats. And right on cue, as Tom Watson was ready to start his lesson, a rainbow appeared high in the sky, off to his right.
- Tom Keegan: Hakeem Adeniji growing bigger and better by the minute
- August 8, 2017
- The Dallas Cowboys have one of the most passionate fan bases on the planet but even given that, it would be difficult to find one who watches the team as often and as closely as Kansas left tackle Hakeem Adeniji.
- Tom Keegan: USATF official not happy with news in wake of Junior Olympics at Rock Chalk Park
- August 7, 2017
- If Royals general manager Dayton Moore had taken the podium during the World Series parade of 2015 and announced, “We’re hiring a new manager,” and that was the first Ned Yost had heard of it, it would have come as no less a surprise than what happened in the wake of a successful USA Track and Field Junior Olympics event at Rock Chalk Park.