Shawn is a community reporter for the Tonagnoxie Mirror.
- Two sent to hospital following five-hour Tonganoxie standoff with police
- February 4, 2016
- A Wednesday incident between a father and son involving a gun led to a standoff with police that lasted nearly five hours in Tonganoxie.
- Highland Community College viticulture and enology courses popular at Wamego campus
- January 10, 2016
- Some students make three-hour drives for classes, have to be 21 for certain courses and might get a bit muddy in the process. But for students enrolled in the viticulture and enology programs at Highland Community College’s Wamego campus, it all seems to be worthwhile.
- Lawrence couple open bar in historic Tonganoxie hotel
- January 8, 2016
- Lawrence resident Kate Brubacher always enjoyed taking leisurely drives from her college town to points elsewhere. One of those regular trips was along U.S. Highway 24-40 to Tonganoxie, where she’d pass by the Myers Hotel.
- A sunflower’s impact: Grinter Farms sees thousands of visitors to renowned sunflower fields
- September 17, 2015
- Japan, California, Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon and New York. Sunflower farmer Ted Grinter has seen the license plates or chatted with folks from across the United States and the world. Thanks to the power of social media, the Grinter Farms sunflower fields have gained global notoriety.
- Tonganoxie home has mystery gas leak
- September 8, 2015
- Scott Wogomon recently detected a strange smell outside his new home, so he contacted Kansas Gas Service to investigate the leak. That was Aug. 18, and officials are still working to determine what exactly the gas is.
- Showcase of sunflowers near Tonganoxie should be in peak bloom in coming days
- September 3, 2015
- A local landmark that fills the countryside with a sea of yellow for a short spell each year soon should be buzzing again. Grinter Farms again has planted its crop — roughly 1 million sunflower seeds — and the radiant colors of thousands of sunflowers soon will be on display.
- Cowboy event moseying in this weekend into Tonganoxie
- July 25, 2015
- Tonganoxie will celebrate National Day of the American Cowboy with a parade and several country western music performances and vendors on Saturday.
- New attractions to greet Leavenworth County fairgoers
- July 16, 2015
- The Leavenworth County Fair will be swinging into Tonganoxie later this month with some new attractions, including the bull bash on Aug. 1.
- Youth athletics trainer urges proper hydration for summer sports
- July 7, 2015
- Local high school athletes are getting outside for various camps this summer. That activity will accelerate when fall sports begin practicing in the traditionally blazing hot month of August. Tonganoxie High athletic trainer Mark Padfield reminds athletes of all ages to be prepared for outdoor activity when the heat and humidity are at high levels.