Shaun began working for the World Co. in 2008.
He is new to Kansas, having grown up in Florida and Michigan. He remembers the snow in Michigan and the giant cockroaches in Florida.
He has a 12-inch scar on one of his legs. He tells people it's a shark bite. About half the time people believe him.
His nose breaks very easily. He has learned this lesson the hard way.
He does not play video games and he feels strongly that other adults shouldn't either.
People tell Shaun that his best quality is his punctuality. He isn't sure if that's a compliment.
There are many things that Shaun is not good at, and he accepts that and plans no improvement in those areas, which include fixing things, cooking, and directions.
In his life, he has worked as a basketball referee, a pizza delivery driver, an undercover store detective, a social worker, a bouncer, and now a journalist.
You can follow him on Twitter @shaunhittle Here is a list of some of Shaun's favorite reporting projects:
• The Boy in the Attic: http://bit.ly/mUFOoH
• From the Ashes: Five Years Later: http://bit.ly/q0QF4d
• A Tournament of their Own: http://bit.ly/pi8EQy
• Rodeo School: http://bit.ly/iGkD2C
- Studio 804 students design, build EcoHawks Research Facility
- August 25, 2013
- Another year at the Kansas University School of Architecture, and another Studio 804 building designed and built by graduate architecture students.
- Homeless count numbers show few changes in Douglas County
- June 4, 2013
- The number of homeless people in Douglas County remained fairly consistent in 2013 as compared with 2011, according to results from the Point-in-Time Homeless Count, conducted every two years. During the count — conducted Jan. 23 and mandated by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, or HUD — volunteers fanned out across the county and identified 223 homeless people, down from 226 in 2011. However, the numbers for the past two counts are about double the 112 homeless people identified in 2009. By Shaun Hittle
- Local family wins anti-underage-drinking PSA video contest
- June 3, 2013
- A Lawrence family recently won a video contest, sponsored by the Draw the Line Coalition, designed to discourage underage drinking. By Shaun Hittle
- Recent storms put this year’s precipitation totals above average
- June 3, 2013
- Rain is a good thing, especially here in Kansas — and especially following a 2012 farming season where a lack of rain was the biggest story. So this week’s downpour is a welcome sign for local farmers. By Nicole Wentling and Shaun Hittle
- Potential severe weather heading to northeast Kansas Wednesday and Thursday
- May 29, 2013
- Severe weather is forecast to hit the northeast Kansas area Wednesday evening, while another band of storms could strike Thursday, according to the National Weather Service. By Shaun Hittle
- Day 4: From the Emerald Triangle to the Sunflower State
- May 29, 2013
- The road from Northern California’s lush, green cannabis fields to Lawrence did not run in a straight line. Between 2005 and 2012, a small group of local drug distributors managed a convoluted interstate drug pipeline worth millions, until they were arrested in a sprawling federal wiretap case last year. Now, 43 people could go to prison, and millions of dollars in property have been seized, but the long-term effect on illegal drugs in Lawrence is unclear. By Ian Cummings and Shaun Hittle
- Ottawa woman sentenced in federal prescription drug case tied to death
- May 28, 2013
- A 37-year-old Ottawa woman was sentenced Tuesday to 18 years in federal prison for her role in a prescription drug case that was tied to a man’s 2009 overdose death. By Shaun Hittle
- Tornado watch issued; more rain and storms expected during next couple of days
- 12:31 p.m., May 28, 2013 Updated 02:28 p.m.
- After a rainy Memorial Day, more storms are expected during the next few days. By Shaun Hittle