Sarah Henning (Features reporter)
I grew up in Overland Park and attended Kansas University, graduating in 2003 with degrees in journalism and Spanish.
After walking down the hill, I worked as a sports copy editor in Scranton, Pa., (home to Dunder Mifflin for all you "Office" fans) for a year after graduation before moving to sunny West Palm Beach, Fla. In Florida, I worked as a sports copy editor for The Palm Beach Post and weathered three hurricanes - Frances, Jeanne and Wilma.
Happy to get away from the hurricanes, I returned to Tornado Alley and Lawrence in the fall of 2007 as a news copy editor before switching over to features writing in January 2008. I cover food, arts and entertainment and family for Lawrence.com, Pulse and Go! and blog about food and healthy eating for Lawrence.com and WellCommons.com.
When I'm out of the office, I run ultramarathons, read true crime/mystery novels, watch professional tennis (Go Rafa!) and obsess over KU sports with my husband, Justin. I'm also the proud mama of a smiley little man, Nate, as well as a cat, Rufus, and Welsh corgi, Ellie.
Drop me a line through e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or on Twitter (@shhenning) — I always love to hear from other pop culture nuts, foodies, moms and workoutaholics.
- Delicious/Nutritious: And the beet goes on
- May 13, 2013
- “The beet is the most intense of vegetables. The radish, admittedly, is more feverish, but the fire of the radish is a cold fire, the fire of discontent not of passion. Tomatoes are lusty enough, yet there runs through tomatoes an undercurrent of frivolity. Beets are deadly serious.” — Tom Robbins, “Jitterbug Perfume”
- Delicious/Nutritious: Bring on the garlic!
- April 8, 2013
- This month’s Delicious/Nutritious ingredient is garlic, so get your breath mints ready.
- Delicious/Nutritious: Spicy sides
- March 11, 2013
- Sriracha is a Thai hot sauce, and it’s not for weak taste buds. But for cooks looking to spice it up, try these side dishes.
- Delicious/Nutritious: Figs figure into intriguing Valentine’s Day treats
- February 11, 2013
- This month, try figs — they might be a little mysterious, but getting to know them is definitely worth it.
- Delicious/Nutritious: Pity the fool who doesn’t try these recipes for tea
- January 14, 2013
- During the cold month of January, a cup of hot tea might sound enticing. But that’s not the only way to enjoy it — Megan and Sarah share their tea treats.
- Delicious/Nutritious: Clementines make winter a little sunnier
- December 24, 2012
- Clementines a sweet little treat for winter.
- Delicious/Nutritious: Crazy for cranberries
- November 12, 2012
- Cranberries are a staple this time of year. Use them fresh in a traditional relish or add the dried variety to a salad.
- Delicious/Nutritious: Bring a fall staple to the table
- October 8, 2012
- Pumpkins are everywhere in October, and that can include your dinner table with these two inventive pumpkin recipes.
- Documentary chronicles hippie commune
- ‘Drop City’ had roots in Lawrence, KU
- October 7, 2012
- In today’s world, it’s a concept that sounds like the basis for a reality show cooked up under the careful eye of Armani-wearing big wigs: Throw a bunch of artists together and see if they can live away from society, nourished solely by their creative juices.
- Delicious/Nutritious: Cabbage concoctions
- September 10, 2012
- Cabbage can take either center plate or a supporting role at dinner with this month’s recipes.