I was born in Pratt, Kan., in 1950, graduating from Pratt High School 1968. I attended Pratt Community Junior College and Kansas University, majoring in fine arts and worked through the photojournalism sequence.
Before joining the Lawrence Journal-World, where I now serve as senior photographer, I worked for the Hutchinson News and the Wichita Eagle.
I have several hobbies that keep me busy, either gardening in the summer months or working on my current house, and when I don't have anything else to do I work on rebuilding a 1949 Ford Anglia from England. There's also always another trip to Cuba to plan, where for each of the last 19 years I've traveled and written stories and thousands of photos.
I have been a photographer for the Journal-World for 30 years, and attribute a lot of my success to the people of Lawrence that I've photographed, getting ideas and becoming part of the community.
- Behind the Lens: A religious experience in Nicaragua
- February 3, 2013
- In 1994, I went to Nicaragua to visit some friends and was wowed. This December, after years of pestering, I had to go again. And I came back with some incredible photographs. By Richard Gwin
- Not your everyday pie: Persimmons yield a break from the ordinary — if you can find them
- November 5, 2012
- Everyone knows I like to cook. This pie came about as sort of a dare.
- Behind the Lens: Photographing wildlife can be unpredictable
- March 18, 2012
- With the approach of spring, area wildlife are beginning their seasonal mating rituals.
- Behind the Lens: Photographers sum up KU’s big win against Missouri in photos
- March 4, 2012
- Journal-World photographers Richard Gwin, Nick Krug and I all photographed the Kansas University basketball game against Missouri on Feb. 25.
- Searchers recover body of Tonganoxie man, 30, from Lone Star Lake in southern Douglas County
- Dive crews, emergency responders were searching for man who was swimming at Lone Star Lake
- 02:28 p.m., August 13, 2011 Updated 11:20 p.m.
- A 30-year-old Tonganoxie man died while he was swimming about 70 feet offshore at Lone Star Lake in southern Douglas County, said Douglas County Sheriff spokesman Sgt. Steve Lewis.
- Behind the Lens: A new way to look at photography
- July 10, 2011
- A Silicon Valley startup has developed a camera that captures more light, allowing images to be refocused after the fact.
- McLouth student Justin Johnston shot, killed on school trip to Costa Rica; classmates returning to Kansas
- 10:32 a.m., June 2, 2011 Updated 12:48 a.m.
- A student at McLouth High School has died while on a school trip to Costa Rica, the victim of an overnight shooting.
- Morel mushrooms plentiful after wet winter in northeast Kansas
- The fungus is now among us
- April 26, 2011
- It’s spring, and that can mean just one thing: morel mushrooms. This year’s harvest will be bountiful because of the large amount of moisture last winter.
- Behind the Lens: Money-saving lens adapters
- April 24, 2011
- If you have an SLR or a DSLR camera with another brand of lenses, the Fotodiox Mount Adapters allow you to use your lenses on the film/digital camera body even if the brand isn’t the same.
- Behind the Lens: Documenting the Pony Express
- July 11, 2010
- Journal-World photographer accompanies this year’s 150th anniversary ride.