Nick Nelson (Web producer)
I joined the World Company as a part-time Web producer for KUSports.com in October 2007 and came on full time about six months after that. I now help maintain both KUSports.com and LJWorld.com and report on miscellaneous happenings around Lawrence. I wear enough hats here that if I were to actually physically wear that many hats at the same time, I'd look ridiculous.
I graduated from KU's William Allen White School of Journalism in May 2007, where I did some web production for KUJH-TV, anchoring sports and reporting news for them as well. That gave me the opportunity to follow the Kansas men's basketball team across the country on its run to the Elite Eight in March 2007. I am (unfortunately) a Kansas City Chiefs and Royals fan.
When I'm not at work I try to stay active at the gym and on the basketball court. My favorite season is summer, where I'm outside as much as possible either at Red Dog's Dog Days or training for triathlons, which I started doing the summer of 2009. I've yet to drown, so I'd say it's going well. I enjoy poking around L-Town with friends too.
- More than 1,000 Westar Energy customers lose power in Douglas County
- 11:08 p.m., November 2, 2011 Updated 08:35 a.m.
- Over 1200 Westar Energy customers are without power in Douglas County, according to the company’s website.
- Free State shuts out SM North, 35-0
- October 1, 2011
- After rumbling for 445 yards and six touchdowns on the ground against Shawnee Mission Northwest last week, it would have been easy to assume Free State High would run, run and run some more against Shawnee Mission North on Friday night at FSHS. So Firebirds head football coach Bob Lisher did what any good coach would do. He aired it out early.
- Free State football wary of ‘big’ Indians
- September 30, 2011
- Asked about tonight’s opponent, Shawnee Mission North, Free State head football coach Bob Lisher had one word that best described the Indians. “Big,” Lisher said. “It’s the usual Shawnee Mission North team. They’re very big.”
- Vehicle crashes into apartment building on West 24th Terrace; one transported to hospital
- September 27, 2011
- Ernie Bone couldn’t sleep, so he settled down in his living room with a video game. Little did he know that he would see something straight out of Grand Theft Auto on his doorstep shortly before 1 a.m.
- Motorcyclist and passenger taken to hospital after leaving roadway six miles northwest of Lawrence
- September 25, 2011
- A motorcyclist and his passenger were transported to Stormont Vail hospital after leaving the roadway on U.S. Highway 24 just after 4:30 p.m. Sunday, according to the Kansas Highway Patrol. One of the occupants was transported via air ambulance, though information on whether it was the driver or passenger was not available.
- Firebirds run wild in rout of Shawnee Mission Northwest
- September 24, 2011
- Free State High football coach Bob Lisher wasn’t happy with his team’s running game going into its match-up against Shawnee Mission Northwest. The Firebirds had been without starting running back Shawn Knighton, who was out because of an ankle injury last week, and the offensive line was not bringing the physicality the coach desired.
- Free State football prepares for match-up against Shawnee Mission Northwest
- September 23, 2011
- Coming off another close win last week, Free State High football coach Bob Lisher has stressed the same thing in practice this week as he has all season to prepare for tonight’s match-up against Shawnee Mission Northwest — increasing his team’s physicality.
- Rallyin’ Firebirds: Junior Kyle McFarland engineers late comeback to lift FSHS
- September 17, 2011
- Going into Friday night’s contest against Shawnee Mission South, Free State High’s football team had split the workload between quarterbacks Kyle McFarland and Joe Dineen. After McFarland’s performance against the Raiders, he just might have the job to himself.
- FSHS football travels to SM South
- September 16, 2011
- After a wacky win over Leavenworth last week, overcoming 80 yards in penalties and five fumbles, Free State High’s football team faces a new challenge tonight against Shawnee Mission South — the Sunflower League’s top rusher.