Nick Krug (Photographer)
I've been a staff photographer at the Lawrence Journal-World since the summer of 2005. My love for photojournalism was cultivated in college with long hours spent at the University Daily Kansan. Fresh out of school I spent a year as a contract photographer for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch before taking a job as a staffer for the Topeka Capital Journal where I spent the next three years. Although I primarily work with still photography, my duties at the JW include covering news, features and sports with the use of still images, video and audio clips. A few highlights from the last few years have been covering the 2008 NCAA championship run as well as the Orange Bowl victory. I feel fortunate to work with such a knowledgeable and hard-working staff.
- Opinion: U.S. Navy facing new demands
- October 1, 2015
- The Navy’s operations, on which the sun never sets, are the nation’s nerve endings, connecting it with the turbulent world. Although the next president may be elected without addressing the Navy’s proper size and configuration, for four years he or she will be acutely aware of where the carriers are. Today they are at the center of a debate about their continuing centrality, even viability, in the Navy’s projection of force.
- LOOK: Lawrence’s bike polo players passionate about the game
- September 6, 2015
- If you don’t have the small fortune it requires to play the game of polo, but do have the urge to compete, then you’re in luck. But leave the horse tied up in the barn and don’t forget your bike if you want to play this sport of kings. By Nick Krug
- Lawrence kindergartners share favorite moments from first days
- August 22, 2015
- Lawrence Public Schools began the 2015-16 school year on Thursday, and Journal-World photographers Nick Krug and Mike Yoder were on hand to ask several of Lawrence’s newest students about their first day of class.
- Look: Son to ensure that late father’s Naismith sculpture will be completed
- August 16, 2015
- In his father’s studio near the southeast edge of Lawrence, Kim Tefft hunches over a bronze bust of Dr. James Naismith, chiseling away air bubbles and smoothing out other blemishes inherited from the casting process. By Nick Krug
- Curb check: A look at what Lawrence leaves behind during moving season
- August 3, 2015
- Curbsides across town are filling up with odds and ends as Lawrence’s renting residents swap addresses. We found these items on the sides of roads in North Lawrence, East Lawrence and the Oread Neighborhood. Photos by Nick Krug
- Faces and finds at the Downtown Lawrence Sidewalk Sale
- July 16, 2015
- What was your best find at this year’s Downtown Lawrence Sidewalk Sale? We asked a few morning shoppers to share their purchases. Photos by Nick Krug
- Our fathers: Journal-World guys share some dad experiences — and a few insights
- June 21, 2015
- If your goal as a father is to be considered “cool” by your children, chase a more realistic dream. You know, like, buy a Powerball ticket, try to catch the wind, reverse time to redo mistakes. Just don’t fool yourself into thinking you ever will be viewed as “cool” in the eyes of your children.
- Behind the Lens: Journal-World drone could offer a different perspective
- May 3, 2015
- Recently, editors at the Lawrence Journal-World approached the photo department about incorporating video and still photographs shot from a drone into our reportage. Initially, the idea was met with some hesitation, in part because of the potential costs. But speaking at least for myself, I also was a bit nervous about crashing the thing and getting blamed for trashing a piece of expensive equipment.
- Behind the Lens: How to survive a court-storming
- March 1, 2015
- If my calculations are correct, Kansas University men’s basketball opponents are more or less good for about three to four court-stormings a season. I’ve learned a few things about how to protect myself and how to convey the gravity of the moment without getting trampled.