Meryl Carver-Allmond (Freelancer)
Meryl Carver-Allmond is a freelancer for the Lawrence Journal-World and lawrence.com. She writes Family Adventures column.
- Cooking from Scratch: Clean out the fridge to make these savory waffles
- May 27, 2015
- We broke in our new waffle iron by making stuffed, savory waffles one night for dinner. They’ve since been dubbed “clean-out-the fridge” waffles, and you should take that as an order if you’re making them.
- Cooking from Scratch: Homemade sauerkraut a tasty lesson in fermenting
- May 13, 2015
- If you’ve never tried making sauerkraut yourself, you most certainly should. It makes a great first project for anyone new to the world of fermenting foods.
- Cooking from Scratch: Lemon posset a polite dessert
- April 21, 2015
- Often made with just three ingredients — heavy cream, sugar and citrus juice — a posset is lighter than pudding or custard but no less delicious.
- Cooking from Scratch: Spicy pork pasta a ghost of menus past
- April 8, 2015
- One fun thing about living in Lawrence? The restaurants are always changing. One not-so-fun thing about living in Lawrence? The restaurants are always changing.
- Cooking from Scratch: Artichokes make for a hearty appetizer
- March 25, 2015
- You have to wonder about the first person who decided to eat an artichoke. I suppose it could have been starvation that led some ancient human to attempt to ingest this Mediterranean thistle, but I rather suspect it was a dare between two men.
- Cooking from Scratch: Homemade SpaghettiOs
- March 10, 2015
- All the same, I couldn’t quite commit to serving up a can of SpaghettiOs for dinner-proper, as my son requested soon after learning the jingle. Instead, I decided to try to make SpaghettiOs from scratch.
- Cooking from Scratch: Add some zest to winter with preserved lemons
- February 25, 2015
- Can I safely assume that everyone is done enjoying winter by now? I’m good with snow and bitter cold until about Valentine’s Day, but after that the cabin fever starts to set in. The view outside my window is gray (again) and everything seems “blah,” even cooking. This can only mean one thing: It’s time to make a big jar of preserved lemons.
- Cooking from Scratch: Shortbread cookies for your sweetie
- February 11, 2015
- These chocolate-dipped orange shortbread cookies when tucked into a book bag or left on the counter for a late-night snack were a sweet way for my husband and I to say, “I’m thinking of you” without spending the rent money.
- Cooking from Scratch: Pasta e Fagioli
- February 4, 2015
- One of my favorite uses for from-scratch beans is the traditional Italian Pasta e Fagioli, or “pasta and beans.”