Meryl Carver-Allmond (Freelancer)
Meryl Carver-Allmond is a freelancer for the Lawrence Journal-World and lawrence.com. She writes Family Adventures column.
- Cooking From Scratch: Warm Brussels sprout salad helps lighten up the holidays
- December 23, 2015
- Inspired by a dish I once had at a tapas restaurant, this warm salad is a little bit Christmas and a little bit New Year’s Day
- Cooking From Scratch: Spice up winter hot chocolate
- December 9, 2015
- Mexican hot chocolate is a spicier, warmer version of its north-of-the-border cousin.
- Cooking From Scratch: It doesn’t take magic to make these pork buns
- November 11, 2015
- There really isn’t a spell to make balancing a career while raising a family magically work. But a few tips and tricks can make it easier.
- Cooking From Scratch: Fall spiced doughnuts with whiskey drizzle sauce
- October 28, 2015
- Homemade doughnuts are basically love transubstantiated into pastry.
- Cooking from Scratch: Smoky squash salad a hearty fall meal
- October 14, 2015
- If you happen to get tired of rich, buttery squash served hot, then that only means it’s time to try it cold — over a crisp bed of lettuce and slathered in smoky squash dressing.
- Cooking From Scratch: Fried green goodness
- September 23, 2015
- In this slip of time between seasons, I urge you to make up a batch of fried green tomatoes.
- Cooking From Scratch: Use up zucchini by making crepes
- September 9, 2015
- This zucchini wrap recipe is my new favorite way to use our overabundant zucchini.
- Cooking from Scratch: Fire makes for better-tasting trout
- August 26, 2015
- Whether you acquire your trout from a transparent stream or over ice at your favorite grocery store, a quick roast over smoky coals will always make them taste better.
- Cooking from Scratch: A blackberry sauce to go with grilled pork
- August 12, 2015
- This sauce “concentrate” is one of my favorite uses for fresh blackberries when they’re in season. It’s delicious over chicken or beef, but my favorite way to serve it is spooned over a grilled pork tenderloin.