Megan Stuke is a freelancer for lawrence.com. She writes The Flying Fork blog.
- Opinion: U.S. Navy facing new demands
- October 1, 2015
- The Navy’s operations, on which the sun never sets, are the nation’s nerve endings, connecting it with the turbulent world. Although the next president may be elected without addressing the Navy’s proper size and configuration, for four years he or she will be acutely aware of where the carriers are. Today they are at the center of a debate about their continuing centrality, even viability, in the Navy’s projection of force.
- Delicious/Nutritious: Sweet, colorful carrots for most any meal
- May 13, 2015
- Carrots are vaunted for their copious amounts of beta-carotene, the carotenoid that the body converts into vitamin A necessary for healthy eyes, skin and immune system. But they’re more than just a vehicle for antioxidants: they’re delicious — sweet and crunchy, with a flavor that can fit almost any meal.
- Delicious/Nutritious: Making room for mushrooms
- April 8, 2015
- Portobello mushrooms are the satisfying vegetable that can make even the meatiest of meat lovers happy. They’re big, juicy and filling. Plus, they add great texture to anything and can absorb flavors well, making them as versatile as they are delicious.
- Delicious/Nutritious: Kumquats a little fruit that packs a punch
- March 10, 2015
- Sweet, sour and possibly the tartest fruit this side of a lemon, the kumquat is a bite-sized, seasonal winter citrus.
- Delicious/Nutritious: Coconut is nature’s candy
- February 11, 2015
- Slightly sweet with a definitely distinctive flavor, coconut has one of those “love it or hate” it tastes. If you’re one who loves it, there are many ways for you to enjoy the rich, pleasing taste — coconut milk, water, oil, manna, flour, flakes, shreds, sweetened tendrils and palm sugar.
- Delicious/Nutritious: Brussels sprouts flex their muscles
- January 14, 2015
- They look like baby cabbages, but brussels sprouts aren’t little on flavor. They pair well with both astringent and savory tastes and go nicely with main dishes from fish to beef to tofu.
- Megan on the Move: Making an effort for me-time
- December 25, 2014
- I’ve been trying hard lately to make room for myself. I know that’s a common theme among adults, especially those with children, but it becomes increasingly difficult with careers and schedules and homes and the trappings of being a grown-up.
- Megan on the Move: An escape plan from getting sick
- December 10, 2014
- Motherhood does not equal martyrdom, and don’t let anyone tell you different.
- Delicious/Nutritious: Ginger a healthy, tasty treat
- December 9, 2014
- Ginger is a spicy root that is small but mighty — not just in size but in both flavor and health benefits.