Linda Cottin is a freelancer for the Lawrence Journal-World. She writes the Fix-It Chick column.
- Fix-It Chick: A checklist for homeowners
- February 25, 2017
- Whether you are a new homeowner or just moved into a rental, there are several things you should do right away.
- Fix-It Chick: Tips for making a door latch properly
- February 18, 2017
- If you live in an older home with wooden doors, chances are one or more of those doors no longer latches when it shuts. Older homes tend to shift with the seasons. Moving the strike plate to accommodate the door latch’s new position should solve the problem.
- Fix-It Chick: Fixing a drippy 2-handled faucet
- February 11, 2017
- If your double-handled bathroom faucet is dripping, grab an adjustable wrench, a Phillips screwdriver, a flathead screwdriver and get under your sink.
- Fix-It Chick: How to paint parking stripes on pavement
- 12:00 a.m., February 4, 2017 Updated 06:24 p.m.
- Painting stripes in a parking lot is a quick and easy job when you use a 4-inch roller and a can of exterior zone marking paint.
- Fix-It Chick: Replacing carbon brushes may help appliances, power tools
- January 28, 2017
- If you have an electric appliance or power tool that is losing power, sparking or turning off and on intermittently, replacing the carbon brushes inside the motor may give new life to the tool. Not all electric motors have brushes, but when they do, the brushes are often designed to be easily replaced.
- Fix-It Chick: How to replace an electrical plug end
- January 21, 2017
- A worn or broken plug end on a small appliance can be easily replaced with a little know-how, a screwdriver and a wire stripper.
- Fix-It Chick: How to use concrete floor leveler
- January 14, 2017
- Using a concrete floor leveler to create a smooth and even surface is a labor intensive but perfectly manageable project. With a heavy duty drill, some five-gallon buckets and a strong back, you can get started.
- Fix-It Chick: Tips for installing a remodel can light
- December 31, 2016
- Installing a remodel type recessed light fixture is a snap, once you run the electrical wires to it.
- Fix-It Chick: Tips for choosing recessed light fixtures
- December 24, 2016
- One of the easiest ways to add light to any room is by installing one or more recessed light fixtures. Understanding the many options available can help you choose the right fixture for the project.