Linda Cottin is a freelancer for the Lawrence Journal-World. She writes the Fix-It Chick column.
- Fix-It Chick: Here’s how to replace a fill valve
- June 24, 2017
- Inside a standard toilet tank, there are three important parts: the flapper, the fill valve and the flush valve.
- Fix-It Chick: Some tips on choosing and installing a new thermostat
- June 17, 2017
- Programmable thermostats can save money and energy, if used properly, but for some, choosing a nonprogrammable or wireless thermostat may be a better option.
- Fix-It Chick: Hardware items can be repurposed
- June 10, 2017
- Everything you find in a hardware store has a purpose, but with a little imagination, the possibilities are limitless.
- Fix-It Chick: Know your options before investing in a new lawn mower
- June 3, 2017
- With proper care and maintenance, a good lawn mower can last a long time.
- Fix-It Chick: Knowing how to avoid snakes a handy skill
- May 27, 2017
- Ninety percent of all snakes are harmless, but one in 50,000 people die from a snake bite each year. Knowing how to avoid snakes is a handy skill to have.
- Fix-It Chick: Some tips for repairing a squeaky floor
- May 20, 2017
- When it comes to older homes, one thing is guaranteed: Over time, things shift and at some point wood-framed floors are going to start squeaking. To some, these little squeaks can be endearing, but if the squeaks become loud enough to startle occupants and guests, it might be time to take action.
- Fix-It Chick: Tips for controlling ticks
- May 13, 2017
- Mild winters and rainy springs increase tick populations, but things can be done to reduce the threat of ticks in and around the home.
- Fix-It Chick: Filling gaps in your patios and walkways
- May 6, 2017
- Repairing joints and cracks in an existing stone patio or walkway is easy with a good quality polymeric jointing sand. Polymeric sand is made from sand particles and adhesive binders to create a uniform and structurally sound product that adheres well to stone and masonry surfaces.
- Fix-It Chick: Tips on replacing your own screens
- April 29, 2017
- With spring in full swing, now is the time to replace those torn or worn screens around your home.