Linda Cottin is a freelancer for the Lawrence Journal-World. She writes the Fix-It Chick column.
- Fix-It Chick: Properly ventilate your home to maintain air quality
- October 22, 2016
- Home ventilation refers to the exchange of indoor air with fresh outdoor air. While heating and cooling systems change the temperature of the indoor air, proper home ventilation systems maintain the quality of the air in a home.
- Fix-It Chick: Connect electrical wires safely
- October 15, 2016
- When it comes to electrical installations or repairs, properly connecting wires is one of the most important steps of the project. Choosing the best connector for the job and using it properly will ensure a successful and safe outcome.
- Fix-It-Chick: Install a decorative interior sliding door
- October 7, 2016
- Installing a decorative interior sliding door can add character and usable floor space to any room in the house.
- Fix-It Chick: Keeping the air in your home clean
- October 3, 2016
- When you think of air pollution, smoke stacks and car exhaust are likely two of the first things that come to mind.
- Fix-It Chick: Don’t let cockroaches gain a foothold in your home
- September 24, 2016
- To maintain a healthy home, you should eliminate cockroaches swiftly and permanently as soon as you discover them.
- Fix-It Chick: Clean up mouse droppings safely
- September 17, 2016
- As cute as they look, mice carry a variety of diseases that are easily transmitted to humans. The majority of these diseases are spread through contact with mouse droppings, including both urine and feces. When it comes time to clean up after an infestation, big or small, it is very important to follow some simple steps.
- Fix-It Chick: Control flies before you get an infestation
- September 10, 2016
- It takes less than seven days for a fly to go from egg to pupa to fly and although flies only live between 15 and 30 days, they can lay up to 500 eggs in a lifetime. Controlling flies is best done before an infestation occurs.
- Fix-It Chick: Make your home more secure
- September 6, 2016
- Home security issues are often near the bottom of everyone’s home improvement wish list. Luckily, there are several affordable things that can be done to make a home less attractive to thieves and ne’er-do-wells.
- Fix-It Chick: Install a grounding rod
- August 29, 2016
- To reduce the chance of electrical shock and fires, service panels need to be grounded. Proper grounding directs unwanted electrical current from the home into the ground. Installing a grounding rod is difficult when the ground is hard.