Linda Cottin is a freelancer for the Lawrence Journal-World. She writes the Fix-It Chick column.
- Fix-It Chick: Repair a roller chain
- July 23, 2016
- Whether it is a bike chain or a drive chain on a piece of equipment, roller chains sometimes break. Repairing a broken chain is easy, especially if you have a chain repair tool.
- Fix-It Chick: How to maintain a composite deck
- July 16, 2016
- Composite decking is a popular material used for outdoor living spaces. Follow these steps to care for composite decking.
- Fix-It Chick: Some ways to keep cooling costs in check
- July 9, 2016
- When temperatures soar above 90 degrees, the cost of cooling a home can soar too. Keep cooling costs in check by following these simple steps:
- Fix-It Chick: Use a manual Vernier caliper
- July 2, 2016
- Measuring small objects with a Vernier caliper is a lot more accurate than using a ruler, but how to read a manual Vernier caliper is a mystery to most.
- Fix-It Chick: Beware of bad gasoline
- June 25, 2016
- Bad gasoline is the most common cause of small engine failure. Identifying and avoiding bad gasoline well help keep gas-powered equipment running smoothly.
- Fix-It Chick: Mitigate carpenter bee damage
- June 18, 2016
- Carpenter bees are harmless creatures, except for their habit of boring half-inch wide tunnels into exposed wood on homes and other structures.
- Fix-It Chick: Tips for using a wrench, beyond righty tighty
- June 11, 2016
- Righty tighty, left loosey may be the most important thing to know when using any type of wrench, but there are a few other things that may come in handy also.
- Fix-It Chick: Repair an upright vacuum cleaner
- June 4, 2016
- If your upright vacuum doesn’t have the suction power it used to, try these easy steps to fix the problem.
- Fix-It Chick: Build a custom-sized window screen
- May 30, 2016
- Building a custom-sized window screen using pre-fabricated aluminum channel is an easy way to increase the air flow in any home.