Linda Cottin is a freelancer for the Lawrence Journal-World. She writes the Fix-It Chick column.
- Fix-It Chick: Build a custom-sized window screen
- May 30, 2016
- Building a custom-sized window screen using pre-fabricated aluminum channel is an easy way to increase the air flow in any home.
- Fix-It Chick: New roof vent boot can help prevent water damage
- May 30, 2016
- Look closely at any home and you will see several pipes protruding from the roof. Most of these pipes are ventilation pipes needed for proper drainage of indoor plumbing systems.
- Fix-It Chick: Check these hard-to-reach spaces during spring cleaning
- May 14, 2016
- When it comes to spring cleaning, there are a few items that often get overlooked. Follow these tips for a shinier, sweeter-smelling spring.
- Fix-It Chick: Reattach a rearview mirror
- May 7, 2016
- Whether it is from the heat of summer or the bitter cold of winter, most every vehicle rearview mirror will, at some point in time, come crashing down. Luckily, reattaching a rearview mirror is an inexpensive and easy project.
- Fix-It Chick: How to use a spirit level
- April 30, 2016
- A spirit level is the most common type of leveling device. Sometimes called a bubble level, the spirit level’s name is derived from its mineral spirit-filled vials. The air bubble within the horizontal vial rests precisely in the center of the vial when the level’s edge is directly parallel with the earth’s surface. Follow these steps to determine if a surface is level.
- Fix-It Chick: Add a hands-free mesh screen door
- April 23, 2016
- Hands-free mesh doors are a great substitute for traditional screen doors. Mesh doors are made from two fiberglass screen panels sewn together at the top. The center is held closed by a series of magnets. The screens are easy to install and can be used with standard and sliding doors. Once installed the panels break apart when a person or pet walks through them and quickly seal back up to prevent unwanted pests from entering.
- Fix-It Chick: Patch a hole with FiberFix
- April 16, 2016
- If you have a hole or crack in almost anything, including your boat, wheelbarrow, gutter or tub, you can fix it in 30 minutes or less using a FiberFix brand rigid patch. Available in several sizes, the patches can be used separately or side by side to repair large areas.
- Fix-It Chick: Reciprocating saws are handy for a variety of jobs
- April 9, 2016
- Reciprocating saws are powerful tools for both homeowners and contractors alike. Given enough wherewithal you can literally cut a car or a house in half with a reciprocating saw. Using the saw properly and choosing the right blade can turn many jobs into simple tasks.
- Fix-It Chick: Properly vent a sink ‘S’ trap
- April 2, 2016
- Bathroom and kitchen sinks with “S” traps that drain into the floor, as opposed to sinks with “J” bends that drain in to the wall, are susceptible to accidental siphoning of drain trap liquid. Adding a spring action automatic air vent or a vacuum activated air admittance valve to a sink drain line can help ensure sewer gases stay where they belong.