Linda Cottin is a freelancer for the Lawrence Journal-World. She writes the Fix-It Chick column.
- Fix-It Chick: Don’t let cockroaches gain a foothold in your home
- September 24, 2016
- To maintain a healthy home, you should eliminate cockroaches swiftly and permanently as soon as you discover them.
- Fix-It Chick: Clean up mouse droppings safely
- September 17, 2016
- As cute as they look, mice carry a variety of diseases that are easily transmitted to humans. The majority of these diseases are spread through contact with mouse droppings, including both urine and feces. When it comes time to clean up after an infestation, big or small, it is very important to follow some simple steps.
- Fix-It Chick: Control flies before you get an infestation
- September 10, 2016
- It takes less than seven days for a fly to go from egg to pupa to fly and although flies only live between 15 and 30 days, they can lay up to 500 eggs in a lifetime. Controlling flies is best done before an infestation occurs.
- Fix-It Chick: Make your home more secure
- September 6, 2016
- Home security issues are often near the bottom of everyone’s home improvement wish list. Luckily, there are several affordable things that can be done to make a home less attractive to thieves and ne’er-do-wells.
- Fix-It Chick: Install a grounding rod
- August 29, 2016
- To reduce the chance of electrical shock and fires, service panels need to be grounded. Proper grounding directs unwanted electrical current from the home into the ground. Installing a grounding rod is difficult when the ground is hard.
- Fix-It Chick: Organic vs. synthetic fertilizers for your lawn
- August 20, 2016
- Choosing between synthetic or organic lawn fertilizer comes down to one question: Are you in it for the long game or the short game?
- Fix-It Chick: Replace an electric oven element
- August 13, 2016
- Replacing the bake element in an electric oven is a simple fix to keep the cook cooking.
- Fix-It Chick: Choose the right expanding foam
- August 6, 2016
- Expanding foam comes in handy for lots of things, but knowing which foam to choose can make the project go smoother.
- Fix-It Chick: Consider installing solar panels on your home
- July 30, 2016
- Installing solar panels can increase the value of your home while decreasing overall energy costs. Due to energy tax credits, low interest rates and a dramatic decrease in the cost of solar panels over the past decade, solar power is more affordable than ever before. Follow these steps to determine if solar power is right for you.