Linda Cottin is a freelancer for the Lawrence Journal-World. She writes the Fix-It Chick column.
- Fix-It Chick: How to evict bats from your home
- August 3, 2015
- Bats are great when they are flying around the yard eating beetles, moths and other pesky insects, but things are not quite as copacetic when bats start hanging out inside your home. The good news is, evicting bats from a home or attic is easier than you might think.
- Fix-It Chick: Cool off with the right kind of fan
- July 27, 2015
- Keeping cool in the summer can be expensive. Using fans to increase air flow in any home can dramatically reduce energy costs throughout the year.
- Fix-It Chick: Resurface existing concrete
- July 20, 2015
- Replacing a pitted, cracked or worn concrete patio or driveway can be a time-consuming and expense endeavor. Instead of removing old concrete, give it a face-lift with a coat of polymer fortified concrete resurfacer.
- Fix-It Chick: Choose the right spark plug
- July 13, 2015
- Spark plugs produce a spark that ignites the gas in a motor chamber. Without a spark to properly ignite the gas, a gas-powered motor cannot run. Knowing when to replace a spark plug is an important part of any gas-powered engine maintenance plan.
- Fix-It Chick: Improve a deck or patio with restorative paint
- July 6, 2015
- Give your old worn deck or patio a new lease on life with a couple of coats of acrylic polymer fortified paint.
- Fix-It Chick: How to choose the right oil
- June 29, 2015
- All gas-powered equipment requires oil. Understanding the differences in oil is an important part of proper engine maintenance.
- Fix-It Chick: Retrofit an old fluorescent light fixture
- June 22, 2015
- With T-12 fluorescent bulbs no longer being manufactured, many old fluorescent light fixtures are now obsolete. For most situations, replacing the fixture is the right choice, but for some applications, retrofitting the old fixture with a 4-foot-long LED light kit is a better option.
- Fix-It Chick: Patch a plaster ceiling
- June 15, 2015
- Repairing a plaster ceiling with plaster is the best way to maintain an older home’s integrity.
- Fix-It Chick: How to reduce basement flooding
- June 7, 2015
- Basement flooding can be caused by a wide variety of factors. There are several steps a homeowner can take to stem rising waters caused by excessive rainfall.