Linda Cottin is a freelancer for the Lawrence Journal-World. She writes the Fix-It Chick column.
- Fix-It Chick: Cleaning tips to make outside deck look brand new
- May 19, 2018
- Outdoor living areas need spring cleaning, too. Now is the perfect time to give that old wooden deck an easy face-lift with some good old elbow grease and a little deck cleaning solution.
- Fix-It Chick: Replace old dishwasher with new, updated model in 12 steps
- May 12, 2018
- Replacing an old dishwasher with a new updated model is a project most homeowners can tackle on their own.
- Fix-It Chick: Resurface brick walkway, patio
- May 5, 2018
- Brick walkways and patios are timeless, durable additions to any home, but over time the joints between the bricks can become compromised. Brick walkway or patio mortar joints need to be almost level with the brick tops to avoid water damage, as well as to deter unwanted plant growth. Repairing the mortar joints between walkway or patio bricks is easier than you think.
- Fix-It Chick: Replace trailer light plug end in 11 quick, easy steps
- April 28, 2018
- Replacing a worn-out four-wire trailer plug is a quick and easy job.
- Fix-It Chick: Replace a classic deadbolt lock with electronic version
- April 21, 2018
- Replacing an existing deadbolt with an electronic deadbolt can eliminate the need for house keys and make getting into your home easier for those who you want to let in.
- Fix-It Chick: Several Shark Tank products useful, worth investment
- April 14, 2018
- Shark Tank is a reality television show where entrepreneurs pitch their ideas to wealthy investors. Not all products are worthy of investment, and not all investments turn out to be for worthy products, but here are six successful Shark Tank products that are worthy of your investment.
- Fix-It Chick: Save lawn, lawnmower by sharpening blade each year
- April 7, 2018
- A dull mower blade can wreak havoc on both your lawn and your mower. Mower blades should be sharpened or replaced at least once a year. Sharpening the blade at the start of the mowing season is a great habit to form.
- Fix-It Chick: Choose the right dropcloth for your home project
- March 31, 2018
- Using a dropcloth is possibly one of the smartest things a homeowner can do when tackling pretty much any project. Here’s how to drop the right cloth.
- Fix-It Chick: Install an outdoor antenna to reach over-the-air digital channels
- March 24, 2018
- Installing an outdoor antenna is an easy way to stretch your entertainment dollars. Most homeowners can legally install an outdoor antenna, as long as it does not reach more than 12 feet above the roof line, does not create any safety risks and does not impede upon existing neighborhood covenants.