Linda Cottin is a freelancer for the Lawrence Journal-World. She writes the Fix-It Chick column.
- Fix-It Chick: Smart home technology can make life easier
- December 3, 2016
- No matter how tech savvy or un-savvy you are, smart home technology is easy to use and offers amazing opportunities for convenience and safety. Knowing a little about these innovative products can be helpful.
- Fix-It Chick: An infrared thermometer can come in handy
- November 26, 2016
- Infrared thermometers read surface temperatures at a distance, quickly and accurately, without ever touching the object. They are used to identify heat loss and air leaks around windows and doors, diagnose HVAC and electrical problems, and test the R-value of walls and ceilings.
- Fix-It Chick: Diagnosing drain problems
- November 19, 2016
- Clogged drains are frustrating. These simple steps can help you find the problem.
- Fix-It Chick: Choose the right extension cord
- November 12, 2016
- When it comes to choosing an extension cord, size and length are important. Using a cord that is too light or too long can damage equipment and create a fire hazard. Knowing the right information will help you make the right choice.
- Fix-It Chick: Upgrade electrical outlets
- November 5, 2016
- Major electrical upgrades are best done by a qualified electrician, but replacing a single outlet can sometimes be done by the homeowner.
- Fix-It Chick: Get your home ready for winter
- October 31, 2016
- Winterizing your home needs to be done each fall. Follow these steps to stay warm and cozy.
- Fix-It Chick: Properly ventilate your home to maintain air quality
- October 22, 2016
- Home ventilation refers to the exchange of indoor air with fresh outdoor air. While heating and cooling systems change the temperature of the indoor air, proper home ventilation systems maintain the quality of the air in a home.
- Fix-It Chick: Connect electrical wires safely
- October 15, 2016
- When it comes to electrical installations or repairs, properly connecting wires is one of the most important steps of the project. Choosing the best connector for the job and using it properly will ensure a successful and safe outcome.
- Fix-It-Chick: Install a decorative interior sliding door
- October 7, 2016
- Installing a decorative interior sliding door can add character and usable floor space to any room in the house.