Jon Ralston (Features editor)
I've lived in Kansas most of my life, growing up in cozy Westwood Hills and spending almost five years at the University of Kansas, majoring in journalism and creative writing and graduating in 2005. I began working at the Lawrence Journal-World as a copy editor and designer in the fall of 2006, my first real job coming off a string of internships at papers and magazines throughout the U.S. I'm a true word nerd at heart. Some of my favorites: Coruscate. Serendipitous. Scrumptious. Boondoggle. I love living downtown and having so much around me to do on a whim. When I have free time, I like going to one of the many coffee shops nearby to grab a chai and do the day's crossword, going to Smackdown trivia at the Bottleneck, and generally vegging out. Don't get me started on "Lost" because I could talk about it for hours.
- Opinion: U.S. Navy facing new demands
- October 1, 2015
- The Navy’s operations, on which the sun never sets, are the nation’s nerve endings, connecting it with the turbulent world. Although the next president may be elected without addressing the Navy’s proper size and configuration, for four years he or she will be acutely aware of where the carriers are. Today they are at the center of a debate about their continuing centrality, even viability, in the Navy’s projection of force.
- Fall Arts Guide 2013
- September 15, 2013
- This autumn’s biggest arts and entertainment happenings in Lawrence.
- 2013 Spring Arts Guide
- March 17, 2013
- Highlights of arts and entertainment events happening in Lawrence through the season.
- How to spend the holidays
- Your road map to arts and entertainment events through the end of the year
- November 18, 2012
- Here at Lawrence.com, Santa’s been making a list — and checking it twice — of local happenings to get you in the holiday spirit.
- Fall Arts Guide 2012
- September 23, 2012
- As the temperatures drop, there’s no reason to stay bundled up indoors this fall.