Joanna Hlavacek (Features reporter)
Joanna Hlavacek is the features reporter for Lawrence.com and the Lawrence Journal-World.
- Lawrence native played role in rescuing Chilean miners who are now subjects of ‘The 33’
- November 28, 2015
- When the San Jose mine collapsed in August 2010 and left 33 workers trapped 2,000 feet beneath Chile’s Atacama Desert, it took the efforts of several Chilean government ministries, NASA, approximately a dozen multinational corporations and one quick-thinking Lawrence native to get them out. Selina Jackson, a 1984 graduate of Lawrence High School and 1988 alumna of Kansas University, helped facilitate the transportation of the 13-ton drilling equipment that brought the miners safely above ground in October 2010.
- New library program aims to connect public with local history, genealogy resources
- November 27, 2015
- From the annual commemorations of Quantrill’s Raid to the city streets, schools and other landmarks named for Bleeding Kansas ideologies (Free State, anyone?) and figures, it’s safe to say at this point that Lawrence is a town obsessed with its own history. A new program at the Lawrence Public Library is capitalizing on that fascination by providing local history buffs and those interested in their own family history with the tools to explore it.
- Weekend Guide: Bizarre Bazaar; ‘Black Friday;’ Holiday Lighting Ceremony and Santa Rescue; Van Go Adornment Holiday Art Show and Sale
- November 27, 2015
- On the docket this weekend: plenty of holiday fun, from the artsy to the classic and beloved tradition that sees Santa “rescued” from the Weaver’s roof every year. (Is St. Nick not familiar with Einstein’s oft-quoted definition of insanity?) And, for those of us who won’t be heading to the mall the day after Thanksgiving, “Black Friday” on Black Friday.
- Free State High trumpeter to march in Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade this week
- November 25, 2015
- More than 50 million TV viewers tune in every year to watch the balloons, floats and various entertainers strut down New York City streets in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- Lawrence artists answer: What are you thankful for?
- November 22, 2015
- “What makes you thankful to be an artist in Lawrence?” In advance of this week’s holiday, we posed that question to a handful of Lawrence artists working in a variety of disciplines, among them visual art, theater, music and film.
- Weekend Guide: Beading at Haskell; TJ5K and Family Fun Run; Vintage Motorcycle and British Car Show; Right Between the Ears and ‘Trading Spaces’
- November 20, 2015
- On the roster this weekend: beading workshops, a charity run, a car show and, for those experiencing the pre-Thanksgiving jitters, plenty of comic relief with a holiday bent.
- 2015 Holiday Arts Preview
- November 15, 2015
- Whether you’re dreaming of a white Christmas or lean more toward Scrooge, you’ll easily find something to do in Lawrence this season.
- Weekend Guide: Ploughman’s Lunch; a memorial concert for Bill Lee; Holiday Bazaar; Veterans Day Run
- November 13, 2015
- This weekend features an old-fashioned food tradition, a tribute to a local music icon, the handmade arts and crafts of the Holiday Bazaar, and a run to benefit our veterans.
- New KU art class studies where creativity meets sustainability
- November 8, 2015
- In a studio on the first floor of Chalmers Hall, the labyrinth-like structure that up until this past spring had been generically known as Kansas University’s Art and Design Building, students are busy. Busy bees, you might say.